Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 PM

11 posts, read 35,712 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family shall be relocating to Houston Texas in two weeks from now and my hubby's workplace will be in zip code 77401.I have one 8 year old daughter who shall be going to school and a 3 year old would attend a play school.
I am looking for a house for rent near his office in west loop south Bellaire. Any suggestions for area with safe but reasonable rent and few Indians in neighbourhood please.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 AM

I have this forum very informative and helpful.
Having read other threads I am aware that Indians are predominantly in Sugarland,Stafford, missouri city and Alief but these areas seem to be far off from my husbands work place.
I will really appreciate any advice regarding apartments to rent in or around 77401 please.Thanks for reading and eagerly awaiting response

Old 07-07-2013, 09:40 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times
What's your budget? You can live in Bellaire itself if you really want to be close, but otherwise I'd say you're better off in Sugar Land or Pearland, especially since you have kids.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
While true that Sugar Land/Mo City/Alief is home to large Indian communities, you'll find a lot of them in every Houston area suburb, with possibly the exception of the NE suburbs, like Kingwood, Atascocita, etc.

You won't find a community in the city itself, but you'll find some here and there. I'm sure there are some in the Bellaire vicinity.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,615 times
Hi,
First of all congratulations.. And welcome to houston...77401 zipcode suggests bellaire area.there are good schools in proper bellaire.search in zillow,realtor.com, apartments.com for rented apts.
I am guesssing you need 2 bedrooms..if it's ok for your husband to commute..sugarland is a very good option for renting an apt or a home as such..i have seen many indians there..there seem to quite many indian restaurants,stores etc..but commute is definitley a problem..it will take minimum of 30-45 mins for the commute from home to office..

You can try some apts on sanfelipe, westheimer road..there is this york town apts where i heard..it is full of inidans.i have a couple of work friends who live there.it is very near to galleria mall.
You can try that.i guess rent is reasonable there..

There are some apts on san felipe ..like gables, faimount, woodway square apts..it seems a good location..i lived there for 8 months..i lie the location..i noticed some indians there..it is definitley a very nice location..but rents a little on higher end..like $2000 for 2 bedroom..check if ti works for your budget..

Westheimer,sanfelipe,galleria all are quite near to hilcroft which is a hub for indians.there are many indian restaurants, stores, shopping, prayer places there..

All the best with your search..let me know if you need any more i fo.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:39 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Houston's Desi communities are typically on the westside well below I-10. You'll find a lot of the businesses and restaurants along Westheimer (between Hillcroft and all the way out to Hwy. 6) and down Fondren (especially around Harwin). Then you'll see a sizable presence in suburbs like Sugar Land and Missouri City.

I lived all over the area (Mid-City/Galleria) and always had a lot of friendly Indian neighbors. However, the Indians in my family live all over from way out in Cinco Ranch to Clear Lake, but they invariably travel to Westheimer or upper Fondren for community and shopping. You'll find a lot of community in Houston and I hope you enjoy it.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:17 PM

thanks everyone for taking time to reply
very useful indeed !!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Despite the drive, you would probably feel most comfortable in a place like Sugar Land. There are plenty of southern Asian restaurants and stores. The city does a nice job of incorporating the cultural norms of its residents into its municipal events. Sugar Land isn't all Indian by any means, but there is a sizable population and all of the ethnic groups seem to get along reasonably well.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 11,002 times
Sugarland is the ideal place for you, lots of indian conveniences grocery, temples restaurant etc.
Driving to work near mid town is no problem as many do it and it takes only 20 minutes.
Telfair is very nice with lots of desis and lots with kids.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM

292 posts, read 547,999 times
I would not recommend Bellaire area if you have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston