Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
They were not killed by the Metro Rail. That is just silly. Houston is a fickle town. Bar areas are hot for a while then everyone jumps to a new one. So many here have no clue how the bar scene works in Houston.

And a wall? Are you kidding? I did not realize the rail ran on top of a wall.
'Sorry, I gave you more credit than you deserve it seems. To be clear, by 'wall', I meant a barrier of which would be the rail lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM

561 posts, read 972,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
I can actually see an entertainment strip springing up along Main Street stretching from Midtown to Market Square (with GreenStreet in the middle). That's providing they do it right, of course.

Discovery Green will be the center of the Super Bowl festivities, so I'm curious to see how the area will be affected. Both Midtown and Market Square will benefit, of course, but it'll probably revive GreenStreet due to sheer proximity.
When is the super bowl in Houston? Curious as to why people are talking about it so early. Is there nothing else happening here til then?

I hope there are improvements in Houston that are for residents and have a more immediate impact on our day to day lives. On the other hand, the existing light-rail was put in for the super bowl. Maybe Houstonians need to wait til there's a major event in town to see an improvement in public works and infrastructure.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
When is the super bowl in Houston? Curious as to why people are talking about it so early. Is there nothing else happening here til then?

I hope there are improvements in Houston that are for residents and have a more immediate impact on our day to day lives. On the other hand, the existing light-rail was put in for the super bowl. Maybe Houstonians need to wait til there's a major event in town to see an improvement in public works and infrastructure.
That's exactly how it works around here. Were you not here for the last one? Why do you think we're magically getting several rail lines, hotels, and convention centers (the Dome) conveniently being finished before 2017?

Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
They were not killed by the Metro Rail. That is just silly. Houston is a fickle town. Bar areas are hot for a while then everyone jumps to a new one. So many here have no clue how the bar scene works in Houston.

And a wall? Are you kidding? I did not realize the rail ran on top of a wall.
Those places were at their height when Metro ripped up the entire length of the street in front of them for more than a year, leaving a muddy pit and sheets of plywood as the sidewalk.

Yes, I'm well aware that these places would have waned eventually, but the district was forever damaged by that construction. Though places did come in after the rail was finished, it never got its momentum back.

I was an investor and strategist in a couple of the most successful bars in Houston. I also had a couple of bars and restaurants as clients. I've seen the business from many sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston