Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 12:17 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,168 times

Advertisements

Kirkwood, the road itself, going south from the bayou bridge to Westheimer is a complete mess. The condition of the road is bad, very bad.... and that is putting it mildly. It is uncomfortable (and a bit dangerous) to drive. Anyone know when and if it is slated to be fixed and repaved? They have done minimal patch work but it has not helped. Is there worse in Houston? Wish not but most likely there are other awful roads out there.....but that stretch of Kirkwood has to be near the top of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
After they finish Wilcrest. However, I went down it that way a month ago to avoid Wilcrest, and they had started blocking off one lane for some reason. That portion of Kirkwood didn't exist until the early 90's. Maybe they used inferior concrete?

Rice is pretty crappy when you get close to Westpark. Chimney Rock has car eating pot holes near Bellaire..actually lost a tire to one not long ago. San Felipe ITL is like riding Magic Fingers...etc etc.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
After they finish Wilcrest. However, I went down it that way a month ago to avoid Wilcrest, and they had started blocking off one lane for some reason.

Rice is pretty crappy when you get close to Westpark. Chimney Rock has car eating pot holes near Bellaire..actually lost a tire to one not long ago. San Felipe ITL is like riding Magic Fingers...etc etc.
Blocked off probably because half the street is about to cave in on itself...geez. Glad to hear that it is slated to be fixed however that Wilcrest construction is far from being over. Wilcrest looked like perfection compared to Kirkwood. Wonder why it got slated first. Guessing wisdom behind the decisions???

Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
Blocked off probably because half the street is about to cave in on itself...geez. Glad to hear that it is slated to be fixed however that Wilcrest construction is far from being over. Wilcrest looked like perfection compared to Kirkwood. Wonder why it got slated first. Guessing wisdom behind the decisions???
Probably because more people travel it to i-10... Because Kirkwood is so bad...hah!!

Could have been some lobbying from Westside, Lakeside CC. Or simply working east to west...

Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 PM

191 posts, read 350,739 times
Seems like Wilcrest has been under construction for almost a year. It seems like its taking much longer than it should. Briar Forest between Dairy Ashford and Wilcrest is another road that needs a complete makeover.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,329 times
Aren't they working on BriarForest right now? I seem to recall diverted traffic bc of road repair a month ago.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 PM

196 posts, read 419,753 times
Some parts of Houston are like driving around a 3rd world country. Along with the bad roads, I see out of control weeds, 1/2 foot build up of cig butts on Westheimer curbs. Its seems a good amount of people are too tolerant, and the city doesn't care.

Its funny when they fix roads here too, often times they do it half ass, then play the patch game. I don't understand when they fixed Dairy Ashford near this area, they did a zillion patches instead of fixing the whole thing one side at a time.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Further View Post
Some parts of Houston are like driving around a 3rd world country. Along with the bad roads, I see out of control weeds, 1/2 foot build up of cig butts on Westheimer curbs. Its seems a good amount of people are too tolerant, and the city doesn't care.

Its funny when they fix roads here too, often times they do it half ass, then play the patch game. I don't understand when they fixed Dairy Ashford near this area, they did a zillion patches instead of fixing the whole thing one side at a time.
Same thing here in Austin, in spite of its good reputation. Trashy, weedy, poorly maintained roads. It's a Texas thing. People here don't want to pay for services at any level, be it state, county, or city.

Is there a road improvement coalition in Houston? I take it that the Houston complainers (regarding roads) are deluging the city council with complaints? Nothing gets done unless there's a flood of complaints and the media gets involved. That's how we solved the horrible public animal shelter situation in Austin. Once city council members realized that their careers were on the line, things started getting better. But...unless citizens start acknowledging that roads don't get fixed without a LOT of money, things won't improve much, and at best, very slowly.

I hope some Houstonians will answer the questions above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston