Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
You do not have to hire them as an employee. He/She would be contract labor and they would have to pay all of their taxes. Have him/her fill out a w-9, so you can do a 1099 at the end of the year, they will have to pay any taxes.
Not true. A nanny that you pay directly (without going through an agency) is not an independent contractor. You are responsible for paying FICA, FUTA, and state unemployment tax (in Texas).

Quote:
The IRS has ruled definitively that nannies are employees of the family for which they work.
A few links for reference:

Nanny Taxes Made Simple. Household Employee or Contractor?
Domestic employee? Is my nanny an independent conractor? She says she will do her own taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
It takes about 2 minutes to vacuum a room. 1 minute to unplug vacuum and walk to the next room. Damn you're lazy.

x2

Ironing a shirt is about 2 minutes max for each once the iron is hot.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Not true. A nanny that you pay directly (without going through an agency) is not an independent contractor. You are responsible for paying FICA, FUTA, and state unemployment tax (in Texas).

A few links for reference:

Nanny Taxes Made Simple. Household Employee or Contractor?
Domestic employee? Is my nanny an independent conractor? She says she will do her own taxes.

I wouldn't even worry about filing for it. The government can't even keep illegals out, so it's doubtful they'll find this nanny who didn't report income.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
Pay her enough, and she may even wipe your ass too!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Just my opinion. $15 an hour to watch kids is fair. Add $20 daily to pick up kids. Add $20 daily to cook simple dinner (pizza) or warm up leftovers and clean up dishes.

The person watching the kids should be focused on the kids not housecleaning. Hire a housekeeper if you don't have time for daily chores.

15 bucks and hour and still add 20? Working at McDonald's in the kitchen is more exhausting than this and they don't even get paid half that amount. I think 15 bucks per hour is more than fair. That's the kind of job people don't report to the IRS... So 15 Dollars take home pay..

Old 10-11-2013, 04:30 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
15 dollars is ok if its just watching the kids, but all this chore stuff would have to go. Making a snack is ok but it sounds like ur trying to get a nanny/tutor/housekeeper all in one. Dont be lazy, you do the work.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:07 AM

64 posts, read 135,169 times
I think $15 might be a little low. We pay our part-time nanny $15 an hour (for two children), but she doesn't pick the kids up from school (I do that on my lunch break) or do housework. She does take them to the zoo, parks, etc.; on those weeks I do add extra money for gas. She also makes the kids lunch and snacks, and tidies up after them.

On the other hand, my children are much younger, 2 and 4, and are more labor intensive than a 6- and 9-year-olds would be (I think).

Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
You can pretty much hire ANYONE to work at McDonalds. The same can not be said for caring for your children and home. It's about getting someone who is a quality caregiver and you can trust. Then, you have to be able to retain this person. If your childcare person quits, will they actually give you 2 weeks notice? Will they care for your home/child the way you would? It is a tricky business. That is why it is hard to find someone, not because there aren't 800 random people that want the job.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:15 AM

34 posts, read 91,074 times
you need trustworthy people at Mcdonalds as well, otherwise you end up people spitting in you burger before you get it DD

15/hour is very fair, as it's cash in hand.

A little math: 15 dollars after tax is about 75% of your gross wage (give or take). 8 hours, 20 days a month for 12 months equals 15/0.75*8*20*12 = $38,400 annual wage.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
It is completely different, an alcoholic/smoker/party lifestyle can be a decent employee at McD's but not so much taking care of children. Also, a fast food worker is somewhat supervised by a manager and other employees. The nanny/housekeeper is not supervised and they have your CHILDREN.

I am not saying it is an unreasonable pay, but I made that wage doing that job in the mid 90's. Seriously. It's the housekeeping part that puts it over the top.

I also have friends that are repeatedly desperate for emergency caregivers for their children, as their nanny left/is ill/is on vacation/never showed up/or is late. They call me because I stay home now. I will watch their children occasionally for a few hours, but if it happens more than a few times a year they need to fix their problem. My daughter's classmate's parents that I don't know have called me. What? That is just crazy.

Nannies are poached all the time. If you go to the park during the week, you can see some moms sidle up to people they think are nannies and quiz them. Are you a nanny? etc...

Last edited by Meyerland; 10-12-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston