Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,934,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
I think some of these comments qualified as being vile towards the suburbs...

Omigosh, someone actually trying to make a responsible, sensible, and idyllic choice for their family - how crazy is that?!

Yes, you being one of those snobs and we'll call it a day.
Well yes that is how I personally feel, whereas I am sure none of you feel that way at all about any aspects of the city *rolls eyes*.

And again this is where your level of reading comprehension needs to improve. I said that I dislike it when people think that they've made the ideal choice a family can make, not just that they've made the best personal decision for their family. I am talking about boosters who think it's almost negligent to raise your kids in the city. I thought I went over this a thousands times??

And I was responding to your comments about how you think that giving your kids luxury in the burns is a plus vs living in the city. I was saying that you were inferring, or at least I thought you were by the way you worded your post, that kids were missing out on the luxury of burb life or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,643,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Would you not defend inner-city living if someone from the suburbs posted negatively in an inner-city living thread about their anecdotal negative observations and experiences of the inner-city? Wouldn't it make you reactionary if you did?

The resentful assumption is eluded from your continuous reflections of a life your parents chose not give you which include, but are not limited to: learning about Rice University as a young child, going to the museum every day, watching indie films at the River Oaks movie theater and going to a Methodist church, instead of a Southern Baptist church. I'm not gonna lie, that last one even has me jealous of what could have been.

Anecdotally speaking, I don't know of any person who grew up in Houston that lived such a life. Most of my "inner-city" acquaintances grew up in Westbury, Myerland, Bellaire, and West U. in the 70's and 80's. They often reminisce of a childhood not too different than mine that was traditionally suburban.

Even my friends who live live in the "inner-city" today don't do all those cool things you listed.
This is a good point. While my family lives in a suburb, we are busy. My husband works from 6 am until 4pm each day. He gets home by 5 pm. My 3 kids are in school (an extremely diverse, FBISD school). They have activities too, ranging from acting class to dance to gymnastics to art club and student council. I volunteer in the school and am president of a school group. We eat dinner together as a family. My kids work in the garden with their dad. We do homework together. By the end of the typical weekday, we are tired and ready for bed. We do it all over the next day. When, during the week, even if we lived "in the city" would we have time to go to see Indy films or go to the museum on a Wednesday night or eat at a fancy restaurant for a Tuesday dinner?

I would think most families have a similar schedule to this no matter where they live. On the weekends, we go to parks, to museums, to restaurants, etc. And I would think again that is similar to what most families do. But really, do city families find a way to do all these cool things radiolibre mentions during the week? Where do they get the time? What makes them so special?

Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Would you not defend inner-city living if someone from the suburbs posted negatively in an inner-city living thread about their anecdotal negative observations and experiences of the inner-city? Wouldn't it make you reactionary if you did?

The resentful assumption is eluded from your continuous reflections of a life your parents chose not give you which include, but are not limited to: learning about Rice University as a young child, going to the museum every day, watching indie films at the River Oaks movie theater, and going to a Methodist church, instead of a Southern Baptist church. I'm not gonna lie, that last one even has me jealous of what could have been.

Anecdotally speaking, I don't know of any person who grew up in Houston that lived such a life. Most of my "inner-city" acquaintances grew up in Westbury, Myerland, Bellaire, and West U. in the 70's and 80's. They often reminisce of a childhood not too different than mine that was traditionally suburban.

Even my friends who live in the "inner-city" today don't do all those cool things you listed.
In the 70s and 80s, a lot has changed. I was just trying to paint a picture of what life can be for someone growing up in that area, it wasn't to vent resentful opinions about my parents? I lived a fine life and ventured into they city several times. I was just thinking that life for a kid in the city might be just as good if not better than some in the burbs. I was trying to deflect this negative stereotype that a kid couldn't have a well rounded life the closer you get to the urban core.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
But really, do city families find a way to do all these cool things radiolibre mentions during the week? Where do they get the time? What makes them so special?
I am sure they do. Why would you assume not? It all depends on the family and the kid's interests. I was just trying to point out that life in the city is not this harsh thing that seems less than idyllic compared to the kids out in the burbs.

OMG, what is so hard to comprehend about that? Why are we tossing all these different variables in the mix? I was just saying that with my parent's income I would've grown up just as fine in the city as I would've in Katy.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM

872 posts, read 822,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It is different strokes for different folks, and I was talking about the people that do commute long distances. Because you know.... there are people that do. At the end of the day it is a personal preference. I explained my preferences, you explained your preferences, the difference is that you saying that you think people in apartments will mess up you neighborhood because those people don't care about community is fine and dandy, yet if I say I've noticed a lot of problems and if I infer it's because I don't necessarily enjoy the cultural aspects, it causes a hell storm.
It did not cause a hell storm, at least not with me. You explained why you live in the inner loop and added you could not understand why anyone that could afford to live there did not. I gave you a couple of reasons why. I did not say you are wrong for living there. I did not call you names for living there. I did not put down anyone that chooses to live there. I simply gave you the reasons why I don't live there.

For the record I don't live in Katy, I am not far from it. I don't live in a cheaply made cookie cutter house. I am not a boring stiff. We don't have kids, so schools have nothing to do with it.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM

Also, for the record while I did lump all burbs together, I do have to say that I started out with a positive opinion of the Woodlands, Sugar Land and burbs in the city. So I don't think all burbs are boring with cookie cutter made homes filled with boring stiffs. Most of my ire is to the small vocal minority that tends to live way out in Katy, Ft. Bend, and all those areas that are dead certain that their way of life is the only sensible choice; the boosters. Some of which I've had discussions with on this board *cough* 14 Bricks *cough* who make the most reactionary comments. Also, it's just from personal experiences living out that way. Not everyone is like this and I don't hate these places for it, but it does suck that they have this personal stubbornness and misconceptions about city life.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:11 PM

872 posts, read 822,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Also, for the record while I did lump all burbs together, I do have to say that I started out with a positive opinion of the Woodlands, Sugar Land and burbs in the city. So I don't think all burbs are boring with cookie cutter made homes filled with boring stiffs. Most of my ire is to the small vocal minority that tends to live way out in Katy, Ft. Bend, and all those areas that are dead certain that their way of life is the only sensible choice; the boosters. Some of which I've had discussions with on this board *cough* 14 Bricks *cough* who make the most reactionary comments. Also, it's just from personal experiences living out that way. Not everyone is like this and I don't hate these places for it, but it does suck that they have this personal stubbornness and misconceptions about city life.

The same could be said about people who live in the inner loop.

It's a choice each person/family must make. What works for one is not going to work for all. I respect the fact that you prefer your life inside the loop, to one in the burbs. I would ask the same kind of respect to me preferring my life in the burbs, to one in the inner loop.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
The same could be said about people who live in the inner loop.

It's a choice each person/family must make. What works for one is not going to work for all. I respect the fact that you prefer your life inside the loop, to one in the burbs. I would ask the same kind of respect to me preferring my life in the burbs, to one in the inner loop.
That's fine and all but then why infer people who live in apartments as lowly? That is the main gripe, you expect that kind of respect when making statements like that? I expect some snide remarks about my opinions of the burbs, because I am pretty brazen, but to act as though you just made a comment that was not the same is just ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:27 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,669,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
In my opinion, that's the reason why so many people graduate from college with worthless degrees and end up working retail or some other lower paying job when they might have been happier and made more money if they had gone to technical or vocational school. This idea that college is for everyone is going to have to change eventually because it is causing a lot of social and economic problems.
Really? lol Glad it is just your opinion.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:32 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,669,221 times
My brother is rich and lives in Katy. He could live in West U or River Oaks. They like it out there. I hate everything about the suburbs. We are different people. Just like many would hate living in Manhattan. If I could afford it I would move there in a heart beat. I even regret not going to NYU for college.

On another note. Houston has changed a ton in the past six years. The inner loop is not the same. Things are so much better in just about every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston