Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times

Advertisements

Houston is not big city. city living here is just like living in a mature suburbia, with trees, single old people and LGBTs and their 'art' cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 02:38 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
The idea that "everyone needs to go to college in order to be successful" is elitist liberal propaganda.
Why is this a result of liberal propaganda and not a result of tougher economic climate?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:03 PM

264 posts, read 441,996 times
FNH and GTRdad, you both hit the nail on the head!!! I too have been following with amusement and really wanted to stay out of the discussion. You are exactly correct that Houston is hardly big city living...it is almost laughable to think so.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:06 PM

498 posts, read 837,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Also, for the record while I did lump all burbs together, I do have to say that I started out with a positive opinion of the Woodlands, Sugar Land and burbs in the city.
What makes those areas so different? Seeing as you have only lived in Katy does that possibly skew your perspective of Katy compared to other suburbs?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
FNH and GTRdad, you both hit the nail on the head!!! I too have been following with amusement and really wanted to stay out of the discussion. You are exactly correct that Houston is hardly big city living...it is almost laughable to think so.
X3

I currently live far outside of the city of Houston, I'm even far outside the suburban mecca of The Woodlands. I travel a lot for work mostly to dense urban areas of the country and there's no place in Houston that feels like big city living. It's just not that kind of place.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Go ahead and lol but people trained in skilled vocations oftentimes have better opportunities than he college graduate with a non-STEM degree from an average university. I'd rather my kid get a certification in plumbing, mechanics or as an electrician than graduating from college only to become a "management trainee" at Enterprise Rent-a-Car so that he/she can wash cars in a suit and tie.

The idea that "everyone needs to go to college in order to be successful" is elitist liberal propaganda.
I am not denying they can make more money. I don't think going to college is all about having a career afterwards. It is about learning and bettering yourself. There is so much more that you get from college besides an education. On top of it. It is really fun during and after being an alumni. Especially, if you went to a big school. What you are also describing seems pretty rare. I only know of two people that worked retail after college. Everyone else has very good jobs. Well except the teachers. Though I don't think teachers do their jobs for the pay. Anyways, the views from city and rural areas is always quite different. Like minded people like to live and hang out with each other. Just how it is.

And the fact that you said it is elitist liberal propaganda. Just makes me want to say something like. It is just ignorant uneducated Tea Party stupidity. Though I don't really believe that is the case. Broad statements like that just makes things worse.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:55 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
Laughable, yes. check out the guy bringing up *manhattan* when talking about houston inner city living. that's pretty sad actually

Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Houston is not big city. city living here is just like living in a mature suburbia, with trees, single old people and LGBTs and their 'art' cars
Good point. Houston's actual "city" is pretty small. Most of the parts of Houston that people consider the "city" were suburbs at one point.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I think you guys are overstating the idea of urban. Urban does not just equal manhattan. Of course it lacks extreme urban density but to say its not a city by definition and doesn't gave urban culture is ridiculous.

Also on the whole issue of college, I've heard a lot of older men like to throw that whole "I didn't go to college and look at me" canard, but I've always thought that anyone who says that doesn't comprehend the purpose of it and wouldn't get into a good school.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Also on the whole issue of college, I've heard a lot of older men like to throw that whole "I didn't go to college and look at me" canard, but I've always thought that anyone who says that doesn't comprehend the purpose of it and wouldn't get into a good school.
I've got a master's degree from a flagship state school. It's no Ivy League degree, but it is a good school. That said, I was careful to plan my education around being able to parlay it into a career with income. College is valuable if you can either:

1) Earn a higher income than would be possible without going

2) Not need to worry about money and go for the love of learning

For most of us, option 1 is the only reason to go to college. If I had to choose between my kid getting a degree in <Insert minority group here> Studies/English/History or him or her getting a vocational degree, I'd choose the vocational degree every time. Economically, there are diminishing returns to an average bachelors degree. In many cases a huge, largely unspoken, reason for all the pressure to go to college is related to the stigma middle-class parents feel if their kid doesn't go to college rather than the actual benefits it provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston