Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 PM

705 posts, read 1,252,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Another con and I cannot stress this enough is the weather. Hot and humid! I mean drenched shirt hot. I mean if you don't have AC be prepared to suffer a long summer hot. Unbearable heat that is characteristic of Houston but for some reason feels hotter in Katy, I could be wrong. The heat is terrible.
Since we moved out to Katy we actually think the weather has been better! Maybe because our house has a lot of trees and the bayou behind it, but in the evenings its very nice and breezy, not to mention the sunsets are gorgeous. I can sit outside and not be drench in sweat thanks to the breeze Now mosquitos...that's another story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,354,678 times
Quote:

Another con and I cannot stress this enough is the weather. Hot and humid! I mean drenched shirt hot. I mean if you don't have AC be prepared to suffer a long summer hot. Unbearable heat that is characteristic of Houston but for some reason feels hotter in Katy, I could be wrong. The heat is terrible.
Hehe, while I do agree it get's hot and humid in the middle of summer, I've experienced the same hot summers in a few other cities. It's not that bad (and this is coming from someone who does not like hot weather). The hottest of days only last 2-4 weeks. I wouldn't say it's terrible. Terrible is Las Vegas. The heat there will keep you cooking for months...not weeks, but several months with temps over 100. Feels like a dang blow dryer on high heat when you step outside.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:44 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,414,415 times
How come nobody talks about the Katy Prairie, it will be a different kind of beauty from Monterey Ca. but still beautiful.

The Katy Prairie Conservancy (KPC) owns and manages 14 preserves. Together these preserves cover more than 13,000 acres of habitat just west of Houston, Texas. Each preserve has a unique history, geology, and wildlife community.

Katy Prairie Conservancy | Preserves

Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM

561 posts, read 967,604 times
To the OP:

If you've done your research, than moving to Katy and away from Monterrey is going to be something you're ready to cope with. And I know that once you're in Katy, you'll notice differences and short comings. Monterrey, from what I've heard, is an exceptional place to be. An area in high demand and therefore higher cost. And there will be a huge drop off between the two locations.

My advice, appreciate the cheaper digs and start to focus on the positives. It will be difficult and frustrating to not have some of the amenities and beauty that you're used to. But, if you stick to the benefits and find things that you enjoy in Katy, you're transition won't be as bad. You're here now, no point in pining about a place you used to be.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 PM

705 posts, read 1,252,589 times
Lol, as we talk about the hot humid weather, I'm outside enjoying a glass of wine by our outdoor fire pit in this 60 degree weather!

Yes I know this isn't the norm, but hey enjoy it while we have it!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:10 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,123,720 times
No sea lions on this day.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving from Monterey, Ca to Katy Tx-388075_2407967408495_160585188_n.jpg  

Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,731,852 times
Quote:
Look I may have off as an inner loop snob in past posts, but I don't think anything begins to compare to the ridiculousness of Austintude. That to me is ten times more deplorable than any inner loop snob.

Austinites hate all of Houston, without question and without regard. It's a very insane mindset. Nine times out of ten they've never been all around Houston, these kids grew up in Spring, Katy, Sugar Land or Tomball and went away for college in Austin and came back raving about it and how stupid Houston is without ever venturing past their suburban bubbles. Houston is ten times the city Austin is. I cannot even believe just how insular Austinites could be comparing their small city to major metropolis?
That's not true. I love the Houston that is inside the inner loop - all 5% of it, the real Houston. It's the endless crap that you guys built around it that blows. And I've spent a fair amount of time in Houston and Katy (I dated a bad little girl from Katy for a long time, it as fun!) and dreaded each and every trip down there to spend time in that suburban wasteland.

For the record I'm actually much harder on Austin which is rapidly becoming Houston's hillbilly cousin. The difference being Houston is beyond repair at this point and Austin is at headed in that direction but faces a decision...step off one direction and we'll look exactly like Houston will hills, Houston without good jobs. Step off the other direction and we could be what Houston might have been if they had kept the same development pattern that they had in the inner loop.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:35 AM

241 posts, read 583,359 times
Quote:
Cons are the culture shock you might experience from CA to TX. Katy is one of the more reactionary towns in Houston. If politics doesn't concern you then you will be fine, but just be prepared for some very bold statements; everything from secessionist talk, crude anti-Obama rhetoric, mild to overt racism, and strong Christian traditional culture. But that is neither here nor there if all you're looking for is a nice place to raise a family.
Wow. I've lived in Katy (Cinco Ranch) for four years and have experienced none of this. Yes, most people are politically conservative, but in my social circle there are a few outspoken Democrats. Everyone just agrees to disagree. "Mild to overt racism"? That's where I really disagree. Katy is a very diverse area because of its proximity to the energy corridor. In fact, Katy's county, Fort Bend, was recently pronounced the most diverse county in the U.S., because it has the closest to 25% of each of the four major ethnic groups. I've frequently taken my daughter to play at the green area at La Centerra and she's the only white child there; of her three best buddies on our street, none are Caucasian. I have never heard a racist comment from any of my friends or neighbors. Never. Now, people may disagree with Obama, but it's over his policies, not his ethnicity. I lived in NYC and found that there was far more racism and racial tension there. In Katy, the races interact peacefully overall, at least from what I've seen.

Welcome to Katy--it really is a fine place to live.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:51 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,084,087 times
you know, im sort of like komeht and prefer anything inside the loop as i live there too, but i sense a decent vibe out in the katy area when ive gone through. i cannot stand being in the suburbs such as tomball (prob the worst, majority of them rude and miserable, and bland).

katy to me seems a little dull in appearance but to me the people is what can make a place a lot better.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 AM

800 posts, read 1,454,812 times
My family and I currently live inside the Loop, but if we were to make a move to any of the suburban areas around Houston, it would probably be Katy. If you have to commute into the city (which thankfully the OP won't have to do), it seems like the "easiest" commute of all the suburbs, with both the newly-expanded I-10 and Westpark Tollway available. Not that hurricanes are an everyday event, but when one does hit the area, Katy is about as far inland and "safe" as you can be. Plus, and this is a plus for me, it's a quick drive out to Austin and the Hill Country for a weekend getaway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston