Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,475 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my wife and I have decided to move to Katy Tx when the new Costco opens up on Grand Parkway. I will be transferring to that Costco. I would love and appreciate any and all opinions, on living conditions, weather, schools, crime, etc on Katy Tx....and/or surrounding areas within a 30 mile radious. Ive done my research on Katy but nothing beats the words from the locals. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:04 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
LOL - when I first started reading this, I thought you meant you were moving there because you liked to shop at Costco and thought "what?". The second sentence cleared it up.

Stay south of I-10, even though north is cheaper. Schools are better on the south side. Neighborhoods are nicer. Consider some of the older sections, as just opposed to new construction - landscaping and trees are mature.

Welcome - people have been waiting for a Costco in that area.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
You are moving from heaven to hell. There really are no choices in a 30 mile radius living in the city. There is no point in living in another suburb just to commute to another for work. Katy is one of the better suburbs. Other than that what Chery said.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Katy is a wonderful place to live. The neighborhoods south of I10 are mostly great, as are the schools. If you tell me a budget, I can help narrow the field a little. There are plenty of shops and people are pretty friendly on the whole.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
Hope you are not liberal. Might be a little bit of a culture shock. I could not imagine moving from a gorgeous place like Monterey to Katy.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Katy is a wonderful place to live.
I echo this. If you like the idea of living in suburbia, Katy is an amazing place. Lots of new retail is sprouting up and the neighborhoods are top-notch. If you are more of an inner city and young person who likes trendy hotspots, then Katy is the antithesis of that sort of living.

I love it here. The low key, relaxed style of living is what I like.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:59 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
You may find contrasting opinions on Katy here. After about the 10th page of posts you'll realize that general consensus is that Katy is more conservative than Houston proper.

Weather is really all I can comment on. It's exactly like Houston: June - September is hot and humid. October starts to get cooler but is still warm and humid. November is when the cold fronts really come through and it cools down considerably to highs in low 70's. The beautiful weather sticks around until about late March. April - May it gets warmer and more humid.

Best of luck.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
The anti suburban mantra doesn't apply for the OP. The OP will work in Katy, so it makes sense to live there. The only thing wrong with Katy is the commute if you work in Houston.

When I lived in Katy, I went into Houston all the time to go out to eat and go out to clubs. It's pretty quick outside of rush hour.

The suburban lifestyle is very attractive to families.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:47 PM

293 posts, read 756,457 times
A great website is Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors: HAR.com. Katy is a great area with fantastic schools. Their are 2 Katys the City of Katy and the Katy area. The city is great, curbside recycling and a fantastic police force. You have a much higher officer to square mile ratio. We see the police all over the place which is huge to deter crime; unlike when we lived in unincorporated Harris county. Katy is a permited city so while your home was being built there were city inspectors making sure the builder is doing it right. Years ago when we were looking for a house we looked at a builder that had homes in the city limits and some outside the city of Katy. We asked why it was more expensive in the city and the salesperson told us it was the higher standards that the city required cost the builder more money. I'm not sure if that is still the case but I will never move from the City of Katy. The city has a small town feel but very close to lots of shopping and activities. Good Luck in your move.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydogs1 View Post
Katy is a great area with fantastic schools. Their are 2 Katys the City of Katy and the Katy area. The city is great, curbside recycling and a fantastic police force. You have a much higher officer to square mile ratio. We see the police all over the place which is huge to deter crime; unlike when we lived in unincorporated Harris county. Katy is a permited city so while your home was being built there were city inspectors making sure the builder is doing it right. Years ago when we were looking for a house we looked at a builder that had homes in the city limits and some outside the city of Katy. We asked why it was more expensive in the city and the salesperson told us it was the higher standards that the city required cost the builder more money. I'm not sure if that is still the case but I will never move from the City of Katy. The city has a small town feel but very close to lots of shopping and activities. Good Luck in your move.
I 2nd this! We built our house in the city of Katy and even though it cost more and took longer to build, it was worth it. I love being part of an actual city and having our own police dept, fire dept etc. But that's just a personal preference. The city of Katy and the greater Katy area are both great with a lot of amenities especially catered around families. I am so excited about Costco being less than 10 mins away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston