Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Yes! I've spent a good bit of time in Houston (I own an IT consulting company that has been doing a lot of upgrades to medical software) and when I do it is inside the loop. I have a project that is in Webster next week.

I am just flabbergasted that you have taken this arrogance to the next level by claiming Houston to be the #2 or #3 food cities in America. In sheer volume of places? Houston has a lot of people, 99% of which have to drive to get anywhere. Even New Orleans has it beat in both food, affordability, and urban core and interconnectivity. I mean, that is just crazy talk to hype Houston up that much and you dont even realize it.
New Orleans? Bwahahahaha. Come on man, New Orleans is a good weekend. Houston is a life. Big difference. Man, you keep digging deeper and deeper. Milwaukee and New Orleans. OMG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
Theres no cheap places in Houston that I would want to live in. I really, REALLY like the west side of Houston and I wouldn't mind living there. Home prices in that large swath of the city are very high.

I would NOT want to live in most of the areas that have been touted on here as affordable areas of Houston. They are either ghetto-ish o are very far removed from the city. I need to take a look at Sharpstown next week. The Woodlands and Sugar Land seem like absolute suburban sprawl nightmares..

Food city? When I visit the city, I always ask the local Houstonians where the good places to eat are and they often recommend chain restaurants. There's a lot of good places, as one would expect from any population of 4 million people, especially when many come from all over the place. It's no LA, SF, NY, Chicago, Seattle, or DC in that regard.

My home in Florida that was 5 minutes from Clearwater, 25 minutes from St. Petersburg, and 40 minutes from downtown Tampa was cheaper. Oh, and I could ride my bike all over the place, including to the freaking BEACH. $300k home with a yard and a pool. Renting it out right now, sadly. Will move back in 1 to 2 years unless another city draws me in. Overall, I like Houston more than South Louisiana, FWIW.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Theres no cheap places in Houston that I would want to live in. I really, REALLY like the west side of Houston and I wouldn't mind living there. Home prices in that large swath of the city are very high.

I would NOT want to live in most of the areas that have been touted on here as affordable areas of Houston. They are either ghetto-ish o are very far removed from the city. I need to take a look at Sharpstown next week. The Woodlands and Sugar Land seem like absolute suburban sprawl nightmares..

Food city? When I visit the city, I always ask the local Houstonians where the good places to eat are and they often recommend chain restaurants. There's a lot of good places, as one would expect from any population of 4 million people, especially when many come from all over the place. It's no LA, SF, NY, Chicago, Seattle, or DC in that regard.

My home in Florida that was 5 minutes from Clearwater, 25 minutes from St. Petersburg, and 40 minutes from downtown Tampa was cheaper. Oh, and I could ride my bike all over the place, including to the freaking BEACH. $300k home with a yard and a pool. Renting it out right now, sadly. Will move back in 1 to 2 years unless another city draws me in. Overall, I like Houston more than South Louisiana, FWIW.
Umm, I haven't lived in Houston since the 90's, but I do go back to visit at least once a year, since most of my family still lives there, and from what I can tell, Sharpstown is still pretty much gangland. If property values are lower there than the rest of the West side, there's probably a very good reason for that.

As for the restaurant scene in Houston, it is definitely top-notch. Possibly one of the top 5 restaurant cities in America. I currently live in Seattle, which is one of the cities you listed that Houston apparently can't hold a candle to, and though we're definitely a heavy-hitter, I would have to say that the restaurant scene here is slightly inferior in that aspect to Houston. I think maybe you've been asking the wrong Houstonians.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:56 AM

24 posts, read 21,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Some people are just dead set on not seeing the advantages to living in Houston over the major cities like NYC, San Fran, LA or even Chicago which is cheaper by comparison to the other three.

There is no comparison which is what makes Houston unique. Sure it's not as cheap as Boise, Idaho or even Des Moines but Houston is not just your run of the mill city which is why this idea that it's just another expensive city boggles me. It's a pretty dynamic robust city with ample amenities that border on the same stuff you can find in other top cities. People say it's peers are Phoenix, Dallas and St. Louis but I say it's already passed those towns and is somewhere in between that and the top brass. Not quite there but on a level of it's own. That's why its expensive but not completely out of reach for people with the drive to get the most out of Houston.
Houston offers the same as Dallas, but I agree it is above St Louis/Phoenix in size and amenities.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:57 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Houston is at least to five in food. But c'mon what Houston lacks on aesthetics it makes up for in its social amenities.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
No, not work. But .uality of life. There is no other place in the country where one can move to where you can be in the middle class and have the American dream. Affordable housing, no state income taxes, a great art scene, 2nd best food scene in the country, diverse people, great weather and yes, plentiful jobs. Quality of life is great here. I've spent a lot of time in CA and San Francisco. I've debated this with Dalparadise many times, SF is a wonderful place to live if you are rich. There is no middle class to speak of there. And I'm not talking about East Bay or Oakland but San Francisco. I was going to move to SF many years ago as my company was based there. But I was on Craigslist for months looking for roommates because that was the only way I could afford to live there was in a small apt with at least 3 roommates. And quite frankly I was getting a little old for that. I did the roommate thing in NY and Chicago and it was old hat. I don't want to have to make those kinds of sacrifices to live somewhere. I don't want to pay 10% in state income taxes or $5 for gas or $100 for a good dinner. I don't want to pay 2500 for a one bedroom apt. In the case of Chicago and NY the cold weather was getting old too. There is just no place in the country that can offer everything Houston has right now. Now that might change in the future with the economy. But right now, we have warm winters, cheap housing, great food, beautiful women and space. Lots and lots of space and privacy. You learn to appreciate that when you get older.
Nah. Just work. And maybe shorter winters.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Have you ever been to Houston? For a city it's size and for the amenities there, the place should be worth much more, but the relatively low cost of living and the ample jobs make for a lot of people jumping into a professional lifestyle pretty quick. It's also the land of the 40k millionaires. I knew guys working finance in NYC making 100k but living together 4 to a two bedroom in a nice apt overlooking the Hudson. I guess I should've been so wow'd by it but it was small and not luxurious. I actually told them about Houston and now one of them moved to Houston and owns a huge home in his late 20s.
You may have forgotten to mention that he had a blast

Old 11-01-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Nah. Just work. And maybe shorter winters.
And where else have you lived sir? I'm just asking you to qualify that statement because I find that people who make these statements have never lived outside of TX. I have lived in St. Louis, Chicago, NY, NJ, FL and now Houston. None of them hold a candle to Houston although I have to say, in hindsight St. Louis is a very under rated city. It's just too bad it's best economic days are behind it.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
You may have forgotten to mention that he had a blast
You know, NY is not like the TV show friends. I lived there for two years and I loved living there. I think everyone should live there once in their lives. But my God the stress level there is almost unbearable. You to have to fight for an apt, for a job, for a girlfriend, for parking, for a seat in a restaurant, even to get on a subway. Everyday you have to fight for something. That gets very old after awhile. Friendships there are often based on what can you do for me. People will slit your throat to get your job. The smell of the city is almost unbearable (they keep the trash on the streets not in alleys). There is no Rachel and Ross or cute coffee shop where all your friends hang out in and chit chat about your exciting lives and there is no loft apt in the village where a waitress or some guy in data entry can afford to live. It's a very cold city and I don't mean the weather. There is a reason why the billion dollar hedge fund managers and really anybody of wealth move out to the country in CT or Long Island. Because even with all the money in the world, it doesn't make NY any more livable.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
You know, NY is not like the TV show friends. I lived there for two years and I loved living there. I think everyone should live there once in their lives. But my God the stress level there is almost unbearable. You to have to fight for an apt, for a job, for a girlfriend, for parking, for a seat in a restaurant, even to get on a subway. Everyday you have to fight for something. That gets very old after awhile. Friendships there are often based on what can you do for me. People will slit your throat to get your job. The smell of the city is almost unbearable (they keep the trash on the streets not in alleys). There is no Rachel and Ross or cute coffee shop where all your friends hang out in and chit chat about your exciting lives and there is no loft apt in the village where a waitress or some guy in data entry can afford to live. It's a very cold city and I don't mean the weather. There is a reason why the billion dollar hedge fund managers and really anybody of wealth move out to the country in CT or Long Island. Because even with all the money in the world, it doesn't make NY any more livable.
I lived and worked in NYC for 10 years.
Life's little struggles are cool over there, hence the TV shows and sitcoms. Sometimes moving away and adjusted to the 'regular life' here in Houston makes you appreciate the previous life a little bit more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston