Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:29 AM

98 posts, read 203,044 times

Advertisements

My husband and I decided we are taking the plunge and moving to Sugar Land, after much depressing inside and just outside the loop house searching. Just financially, for us, it doesnt make sense to stay in town and Sugar Land to us seems like the best further out option.

Anywho, we are focusing our search on New Territory, First Colony, Greatwood and Riverstone (i know large area). While looking at a map, i notice that Greatwood is actually very close to the University/Commonwealth Intersection, just on the other side of the river. Do you think that these two communities will ever be connected by a bridge?

Greatwood has a lot of nice houses and more for the money, but i am a little nervous about the limited ways in and out. 59 and u-turn at Crabb River Road, or whatever the exit is. Would be cool if you could have the option of going the back way and get into the back of First colony, Riverstone, HWY 6 area, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,891,003 times
There has been some talk of a bridge, but they are theoretical discussions rather than anything concrete. It would be an extremely expensive project and I wouldn't count on it happening in the foreseeable future.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM

174 posts, read 404,648 times
No, I don't think Greatwood will ever connect to Avalon/Commonwealth. It is not even in Ft Bend ISD. Greatwood is in Lamar ISD. Both New Territory and Riverstone are good options to be considered. Great communities zoned to good schools.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,000,291 times
Greatwood values would just explode if they were to connect, even if the school districts are not the same. The same misgivings you have are the ones why values are relatively lower (along with the schools). And the schools thing is a perception only problem, at least in elementary and middle.

I think the housing stock is better in Greatwood than First Colony and New Territory.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,898,832 times
Depending upon where the bridge would run from the Greatwood side of the Brazos River, there would probably have to be some form of eminent domain or right of way acquisition to make the land available - those plots of land belong to multiple owners, not the neighborhood.

However, there have been talks about developing the land along the Brazos on the Greatwood side as part of the park system that is in place by University. Perhaps a pedestrian bridge may at some point connect the two sides of the river?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 PM

As someone who graduated from clements, I am not opposed to sending my kids to a "worse" highschool. It was so competitive. Plus my child is not even born yet, so it will be a while before they are in highschool. Greatwood elementaries seem fine even if they are in LC, not FBISD. I am just looking and seeing way nicer houses for the money out there. Just nervous about the traffic at the u-turn in the evenings, since it appears you have to do that in order to get into the neighborhood.

Also, in relation to Riverstone, Greatwood and New Territory both seem a bit more convenient to town square and communiting in town.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,898,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeenp View Post
Just nervous about the traffic at the u-turn in the evenings, since it appears you have to do that in order to get into the neighborhood.
I made that U-turn for a couple of years - if you're trying to go into the first entrance into Greatwood (Greatwood Parkway), it's a little unnerving the first few times but the drivers already on the feeder road have come to realize they have to give U-turners a chance to get across. If you buy a home in the "back" of Greatwood and use the "back" entrance (toward the Brazos River, the street is Riverbrook Drive), the U-turn isn't an issue at all - You have about 1/2 of a mile to move over 2 lanes.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:27 PM

I imagine the morning to be just fine and way quicker than communiting from Riverstone, right? i would think HWY 6 or Murphy road would take forever in the morning.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,643,250 times
We are in Riverstone. Granted, he leaves fairly early in the morning, but my husband either takes University Blvd to 59 or Murphy to 59 to get to the galleria area for work and very rarely has a problem.

That said, I know people in Greatwood (like one of my husband's coworkers) who love it there.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 PM

331 posts, read 483,322 times
I believe the short answer is no, albeit never is a long time. Has nothing to do with school districts, which I believe someone might have mentioned above, but it's not in the City's thoroughfare plan that I'm aware of. Even if it was, it would be an expensive project for the City and presumably other entities to undertake, with probably not enough gain for the pain. I think it might have been considered at one time, but residents were opposed. Not sure which ones (north or south of the river, that is). I know that having that connectivity would cut both ways for Greatwood. Sure, the improved access would be nice, but part of the charm of the neighborhood is a lot of it is still a bit away from it all so to speak. Opinions may vary on this. Would definitely encourage development southeast of Greatwood you would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston