Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM

39 posts, read 79,929 times

Advertisements

Get a job first..don't go to MBA now....further in your career, some companies would cover the cost for MBA. Some would pay 80% or even 100%. If MBA is your ultimate goal, try to get a job from those companies that would fund you.

So I think you are making the right decision.

Last edited by npaoinc; 10-23-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM

17 posts, read 31,417 times
It's not like I can afford to go back to school right now anyways haha

Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
There is a solid but small banking sector here but it is mostly tied to energy. There is energy trading in Houston too. Real Estate is pretty good too as is construction even though it's still recovering.

Oil and Gas is tough to break into, I mean it's the star industry like entertainment is to LA and Wall Street is to NYC. It's best to know someone or have a engineering degree or experience. With your sales gigs and an Econ degree you could have an option at the tons of vendors that do business with O&G firms.

Logistics, supply chain management is also another good field. I was almost hired at a major overseas shipping company but turned it down to move to LA. They're a good field too.

Basically you have your pick. Houston is business run city and business is booming. Any sector you choose will be doing something for you to excel in.
I don't agree with radiolibre about much of anything, but this is a very good post. Houston is not the banking or financial hub of Texas - that's Dallas. He or she is also correct about the O&G industry being hard to get into. If you look at most job postings in that field, they will almost always ask for previous O&G experience. It's one of those type of situations where I wonder how anyone gets their foot in the door, though I suppose that's why God invented internships.

Logistics is also a good recommendation due to the Houston ship channel, the railroads and crossroads of I-10, 45 and 69, Port of Freeport, etc.

If your brother will let you live with him, you would have a leg up on the people who want to move here for work but have no connections or support system.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM

391 posts, read 424,764 times
If your brother/uncles can get your foot in the door as a plant operator then jump on it, now. You'll make more money doing that then as an Economist or entry level trader. A bachelor's (with no internship) won't get you into either of those positions anyway.

Around here most operations jobs require/expect at least an associates in process technology, and a BA in soft science (economics) does not substitute. Press the family connection hard or you won't have much success breaking in. It's also hard, dangerous work with no room for mistakes or excuses.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I don't agree with radiolibre about much of anything, but this is a very good post. Houston is not the banking or financial hub of Texas - that's Dallas. He or she is also correct about the O&G industry being hard to get into. If you look at most job postings in that field, they will almost always ask for previous O&G experience. It's one of those type of situations where I wonder how anyone gets their foot in the door, though I suppose that's why God invented internships.

Logistics is also a good recommendation due to the Houston ship channel, the railroads and crossroads of I-10, 45 and 69, Port of Freeport, etc.

If your brother will let you live with him, you would have a leg up on the people who want to move here for work but have no connections or support system.
How do people break into O&G: Internships, knowing someone, or becoming a Petroleum Engineer or Geologist. You can also get experience at smaller companies more easily.

New Petroleum Engineers make about $100,000 starting their first year.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 PM

meh... I have no idea what they actually even do sometimes they aren't in Houston but other places like port la vaca or Louisiana, I think they work by contracts. I know they make very good money but it not easy work it's pretty laborious form my understanding and dangerous. Right now I would jus have the benefit of staying with them for free while I job search in Houston. I am open to working anywhere in Texas too like Austin, Dallas or San Antonio probably not in the Valley though, pay there sucks.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Working in Port Lavaca is not that bad, it's only 2 hours away. The best thing you can get is your foot in the door. My husband drove 18 wheelers and fracked wells in Midland,in his first year out of college. He's a Petroleum engineer too. It was a terrible job, but he made some money and gained experience. He parlayed that into a really great job in a big company.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM

Ideally thats the plan just get my foot in the door. Too bad I am not an engineer but an economist, I don't even think my BA could lead me to anything "engineering" besides the math or going right back to school. I am mainly interested in the business aspect of the industry... hopefully something works out or I will end up going back to school for some engineering

Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Well, he really doesn't do any "engineering" in his job although it helped him get his foot in the door. He's more of a manager at this point. The only position he hasn't had is in HR.

This strategy works in pretty much any industry. You just have to get that first job and impress someone there.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
How do people break into O&G: Internships, knowing someone, or becoming a Petroleum Engineer or Geologist. You can also get experience at smaller companies more easily.

New Petroleum Engineers make about $100,000 starting their first year.
Engineering in houston is much more than just petro engineering. OP should network and get a head hunter to get in sales for manufacturing/vendor. Years doing that well will get you into a bigger company. I know people earning several hundred thousands of dollars doing sales. Theyve been at it for a long time but work for a good vendor here and selling equipment isnt hard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston