Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,444,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
Hey, I live in Houston and I love taking the bus. It's better than facing the traffic. I live in Southwest and I work in Uptown. I just have one transferr and apart from having the 32 line run late only when a particular bus driver works, I have nothing to complain about. Oh, and yes I see people from all walks of life taking the bus. If you build it, they will use it. I can't wait until they expand the bus system and the train. I save on gas, wear and tear on my car, as well as the headache I alway get when I'm stuck on Southwest Freeway. I HATE TRAFFIC, and when I'm on the bus I let someone else worry about it.
The problem is that eventually buses will be stuck in the same traffic quagmire as cars when we fill in and density increases. The street system just won't be able to process the number of cars attempting to navigate them. It's simply a numbers game.

If we knew density would not continue to increase, I'd say we should stick to mainly a bus system, but we WILL continue to increase density. This will require transportation that is separate from the streets - rail.

As one of those dreaded and evil Tea Party types, I don't want to waste money nor kick cans down the road. In order to save money in the future, we need to continue to work on rail now. It's an investment that is wise to make now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 AM

5,581 posts, read 4,842,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The problem is that eventually buses will be stuck in the same traffic quagmire as cars when we fill in and density increases. The street system just won't be able to process the number of cars attempting to navigate them. It's simply a numbers game.

If we knew density would not continue to increase, I'd say we should stick to mainly a bus system, but we WILL continue to increase density. This will require transportation that is separate from the streets - rail.

As one of those dreaded and evil Tea Party types, I don't want to waste money nor kick cans down the road. In order to save money in the future, we need to continue to work on rail now. It's an investment that is wise to make now.
Plus the amount of available free parking spaces will shrink - or at least not be able to grow as much as the population. So between increasing traffic and lack of parking, driving will get to be more of a hassle.

The typical local bus will continue to play a role but, as you noted, has a major drawback in that it also gets stuck in traffic. Most local routes also have frequent stops that slow them down. This makes them impractical for anything but shorter trips.

Rail is one possible alternative, provided that you're at least providing its own exclusive guideway to separate it from traffic. If you want to spend more $, you can grade separate it, at least in key places, so it doesn't have to stop at traffic lights.

You can also do things to significantly upgrade bus service. "Full Bus Rapid Transit" is basically light rail except using rubber tired vehicles - you can even get vehicles with multiple boarding doors like a train that are even with a boarding platform and have off-vehicle fare collection at stations. Rails and wires can be added later if demand justifies it. You can also thread multiple bus routes providing more typical mixed-traffic service at the end of their routes into a BRT corridor for the "trunk line" portion of the route.

Even just painting lanes for buses and right turns only can help - like in downtown at rush hour.

So, there's multiple options with different price points and impacts - I would hope that all get considered as we try to figure out how we'll move around in the future.

One other note - anything involving transit improvements should also involve pedestrian improvements and making sure it's legal for development to occur in a pedestrian-friendly manner. This is not currently the case except along designated light rail corridors and within downtown. Even in light rail corridors, the same on-site parking requirements apply as everywhere else. Those requirements need to be ditched.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:04 AM

4,712 posts, read 5,916,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I find it hilarious how they have to emphasize that this guy is a "New Yorker"
Like he's so special because he was born in NY... lol.
That was the headline in the Chronicle - it wasn't a self-written article by a New Yorker talking down to the people of Houston. The New Yorker himself was very positive about the people of Houston and their attitude.

Most of what he says is kind of just common sense - "plan for growth" and "attract talent" - and could have been written by any outsider.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,934,159 times
Heck people in Houston have been saying that for years. Its common sense because that's what every city in America does and Houston's problems are evident to a six year old, they're that obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston