Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times

Advertisements

I just moved to 77089 and although I have not been to other parts of Houston, I have the impression that it is the worst area in Houston. There are people selling newspapers on street corners. Half of the commercial spaces are empty. There signs that say "We pay cash for your house" and "Avoid foreclosure. Call us." all over the place. The local library has only 8 computers. Most bus stops don't even a bench. I have yet to see one with some kind of shelter to protect people from the hot sun or rain. The streets are cracked and filled with portholes. I was all set to buy a house until I saw my friend's tax and insurance bills. A house is the only thing here I know of that keeps increasing in value for tax purposes despite being aged with every passing year.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-29-2007 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 04:41 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I just moved to 77089 and although I have not been to other parts of Houston, I have the impression that it is the worst area in Houston. There are people selling newspapers on street corners. Half of the commercial spaces are empty. There signs that say "We pay cash for your house" an "Avoid foreclosure. Call us." all over the place. The local library has only 8 computers. Most bus stops don't even a bench. I have yet to see one with some kind of shelter to protect people from the hot sun or rain. The streets are cracked and filled with portholes. I was all set to buy a house until I saw my friend's tax and insurance bills. A house is the only thing here I know of that keeps increasing in value for tax purposes despite being aged with every passing year.
Oh, yeah. No offense, but you do live in one of the least desirable places in Houston metro. Not much impressive in SE Houston.

Are you looking to leave?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:09 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Yes indeed. Dont forget before you get back to Minn. Stop off and buy yourself a snow shovel. Make that 5 for all of you. Pick up some salt so you can get to your mailbox and into your driveway. And keep that shotgun by your side so when the snow plow driver burrys your driveway that you just spent all Saturday shoveling you can blow him right out of the truck.

Stock up on decongestants for your constant colds. Get that oil tank fill now because heating oil is about $3/gal now and rising. Dont leave your winter jacket behind because no one in Houston will ever need it. But you know you will have to put every piece of clothing on that you own just to go out to the mail box come January. Keep good health insurance because it does not cover slip and falls on all your comfy ice.

Oh and be very carefull driving over your bridges. I read your bridges are the oldest and most obselete in the USA. In fact the Cross Town Expressway is so deteriorated that they are thinking of closing it down to traffic.

When you get home dont bother unpacking your fishing poles. You wont need them till June. While you will not see your grassy yard till June, I will be mowing, seeding and watering mine.

Good luck to you

Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I just moved to 77089 and although I have not been to other parts of Houston, I have the impression that it is the worst area in Houston.
Does that make you want to get out and explore a little more, or are you gonna be a hermit over there on the SE side?

You know, it really doesn't have to suck here if you don't let it be that way.

You could be glad you're not in Minneapolis this time of year. There's a starting point for a transition toward positive thinking.

When you've been somewhere besides the armpit of the city, you can come back and tell us how much it sucks here, and I'll pay attention again.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
I've grown up and lived here and it's safe to say, while we have our nice areas here and there, Houston is generally not a very nice as a whole. But our ghettos are nowhere near as bad as the ones in LA. Conversely, we also don't have as much money flowing through here either.

But if you think that SE part of town is bad, you need to explore the Southwest side in great lengths. Try Sharpstown. 59/Hillcroft, that general area. Also check out the area 0-3 miles inside 610 between 288 and Cullen. Someone else here in the know can chime in on the ''sanctuary city'' east side-type areas. Then that SE side area won't seem nearly as bad.

You know what they say, 1% of the population holds 99% of the money, or something.

Don't buy here if you aren't going to stay long term and spend at least $150-160k used, or $200k new. I personally wouldn't get a very big house just because I can, either, because I could very well stand to lose money in the long term due to the maintenance/repairs, HOA fees, taxes and insurance.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Oh, yeah. No offense, but you do live in one of the least desirable places in Houston metro. Not much impressive in SE Houston.

Are you looking to leave?
While I understand your overall point, I disagree that there's not much impressive in SE Houston. The SE quadrant is huge and includes places like Clear Lake, Riverside Terrace, Idylwood and so forth.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
While I understand your overall point, I disagree that there's not much impressive in SE Houston. The SE quadrant is huge and includes places like Clear Lake, Riverside Terrace, Idylwood and so forth.

Mpope has her own, very unique and interesting views of Houston.

The SE side, around Broadway/Park Place is one of the MOST desirable places to be for some excellent hole-in-the-wall Tex-Mex!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Mpope has her own, very unique and interesting views of Houston.
Whatever. That's not even the case when everyone knows that SE section of Houston gets heavy flooding and it's known as the bad smelling part of the city.

And isn't funny how everytime someone disagrees with me, my views are all of a sudden "unique" and unshared, but everything else I say is preaching to the choir.

There are a lot of people on this forum who would agree with me 100%. Don't get it twisted.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 PM

257 posts, read 986,579 times
Default complaining about houston

I have lived in houston since i was born in 1959. I went to lamar high school . I bought property in Friendswood years ago and now live here.This to me is by far the the best place to live in Houston for families.My kids love the school one of the best in Texas.Sometimes when i leave town i think that its mayberry.Hardly any crime or problems compared to the rest of the city.I know many houston police officers that live here and would live nowhere else in houston.Just my opinion.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:16 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,798 times
Quote:
I just moved to 77089 and although I have not been to other parts of Houston, I have the impression that it is the worst area in Houston.
Trust me when I tell you that it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston