Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
On the way out? Designated computer niches and home theaters rooms when there is already a gameroom.
Computer niches, maybe. Home theater rooms, not a chance.

Dedicated home theaters are on the rise (keep in mind that a big screen and a couple of speakers make not a home theater). I was speaking to an installer back in July, and he said his company has almost doubled it's business each year over the last four. In Houston, you see more and more ads for home theater installs all the time. This article in USA today was from 2011, but I think the trend is continuing - Home theater gear is a booming business - USATODAY.com.

Of course a true home theater is a specialized room, and many people don't have the extra square footage for a specialized room, but for those that do, it's probably one of the more popular ones of the day. It's also a specialized room that can provide a better experience than a commercial one. Given the choice of driving to a traditional theater, adhering to the theater's schedule, paying way too much for popcorn and drinks, having limited refreshment choices and sitting in a mediocre seat can not compare to starting (and pausing) a movie on my schedule, choosing my refreshments and snacks (at a reasonable price) and sitting in an exceptionally comfortable recliner at home.

Obviously, the cost can be viewed by many as excessive; however, if it's what you consider part of your quality of life, it's a great investment in your happiness - if you enjoy movies.

I average 2 movies a week in our home theater. Our dining room is used about once a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
We love our theater room and not sure I'd want a house without one.
As long as I have the choice, I'll never live in a home without a dedicated theater.

As a matter of fact, I'm finishing the riser for my back row of seats this evening. All I have left to do after that is replace my BR player with the OPPO I want, upgrade the front sub and then frame my movie posters and get them on the wall. My target is by the end of the year to essentially have these things completed.

Have you ever gone to look at the home theaters builds at AVSForum? - Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

There are some incredible theaters. I try not to look at them too much because it makes mine look so insignificant. lol. Not really. Although there are a ton of theaters in there that blow mine away, I still love my little theater and enjoy it thoroughly.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post

The thing that surprises me is that a lot of houses have small or no covered patio. For me, that would be a natural extension of living space and I'm surprised there aren't more larger covered patios around.
Ok, i guess all this must depend where you live. I've been to quite a few uber high end homes lately under construction, and they are ALL building huge outdoor living spaces...covered with fireplaces, tvs, high end grills and outdoor appliances,industrial fans, misters etc. what they aren't putting in is home theaters. There are large gamerooms and pool rooms, but no theaters so to speak. Older homes are also pouring and adding on to already existing covered areas, putting in similar outdoor living.

Just because they aren't going in new city construction doesn't mean it's not right for you. But I notice true custom within the actual city seems to be more ON trend. Ie. the Tuscan look disappeared over 4 years ago, while its still the norm outside the city limits. So when i see a room just vanish in the types of homes featured in Veranda or Architectural Digest, I notice.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 10-28-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
I have a media room but have not seen anything produced by Hollywood worth designating a room. We use our Formal LR and DR as we will at Thanksgiving next for a family gatherings. I am old school and bought a bigger home to retire to because my mother in law and mom both are living and we need room to keep them but retain our privacy. The older I get I am more a home body

Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
I have pretty good audio equipment but i enjoy watching movies/playing videogames more with headphones. Even for my electronic drums.
What i would need is a good shoe room of some sort

Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
Our late-70s contemporary includes formal living and dining rooms, two bedrooms and baths, kitchen/breakfast room, and an extra room (sunroom that has been enclosed) downstairs. Upstairs is an additional bedroom and bath and a game room that overlooks the living room. We're currently using the game room as a study (no kids yet), but this is a bit of a headache because it's such a trek from the rest of the house. I usually just end up using my laptop and working from the dining table. Growing up, my dad was the same - he'd do all of his actual work from the dining table (which consequently was usually a mess) while the closed-off study mostly gathered dust.

When we build a house someday, I'd like make it easier for the dining room to double as a study. Maybe include some sort of alcove off the dining room that would contain files, networked printer, and maybe a desk with a large monitor & docking station. Can be closed off with sliding doors for formal dining. Also, no need for a separate breakfast room - a kitchen island with stools will do fine for less-formal dining. It amazes me how even sub-1500 sq ft homes find room for separate dining and breakfast rooms.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Ok, i guess all this must depend where you live. I've been to quite a few uber high end homes lately under construction, and they are ALL building huge outdoor living spaces...covered with fireplaces, tvs, high end grills and outdoor appliances,industrial fans, misters etc. what they aren't putting in is home theaters. There are large gamerooms and pool rooms, but no theaters so to speak. Older homes are also pouring and adding on to already existing covered areas, putting in similar outdoor living.
The hottest thing for high-end homes is outdoor living, but in terms of "rooms", as this thread is focused, home theaters are the trend in luxury homes.

As you can see in the article below, when high end home buyers are looking at homes, the two rooms listed in their "wants" are home gyms and home theaters.

What Today's Mansion-Buying Millionaires Want Most in a Home | AOL Real Estate

As far as Houston goes, the most expensive home, listed on HAR at $19 million, has a very nice custom home theater, below. I consider $19 million uber expensive.

The two areas I'm allocating the most money to at my home are, in order of total dollars, outdoor living and home theater.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,946 times
Quote:

Just because they aren't going in new city construction doesn't mean it's not right for you. But I notice true custom within the actual city seems to be more ON trend. Ie. the Tuscan look disappeared over 4 years ago, while its still the norm outside the city limits. So when i see a room just vanish in the types of homes featured in Veranda or Architectural Digest, I notice.
Who gives a **** what the 'uber high end homes' are building?! Most of the time it's just a competition to put the most stuff in and not indicative of the market as a whole. Most of those outdoor kitchens will never get used except occasionally by professional caterers that are brought in.
I was talking about the more attainable house trends in the $250k - $500k range.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

The two areas I'm allocating the most money to at my home are, in order of total dollars, outdoor living and home theater.
That's where I've spent my money too. The theatre got done first as it was cheaper and I'm still working on the outdoor living.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Who watches movies in these media rooms? teens and their friends? I sure felt uncomfortable watching movies at home with other adults (their house), especially with 3d glasses lol. When i was a kid i rented Twin Peaks and my parents and other siblings joined in. Damn that was awkward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston