Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

As a non-Houston resident, I'm curious what Houstonians think about the mayoral race. To me, I don't even see how this is a race. On the one hand, there is an incumbent mayor who appears to be fairly moderate and reasonably successful at keeping Houston a good place for employers to operate. On the other hand, there is a tax cheat who wants to manage the City's finances even though he can't manage his personal finances.

Is there something I'm missing here because this seems like a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:19 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
It's not a race at all, but it was interesting to watch the debate. I have to admit I was at least moderately impressed with Keryl Douglas. I didn't really expect her to have ANYTHING to say, even though she is not a real contender. The rest of them were just ridiculous though. However, I've learned not to watch for particular candidates, but rather for issues. You really have to **** people off to not be re-elected as an incumbent, and even then there's mere name recognition. Honestly, a much more interesting race will be District A and Helena Brown.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM

418 posts, read 742,252 times
I'm ready for this mayor to go. The tax cheat isn't the only other option.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:39 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Rice University-run poll: Parker leads Hall by 20 percent as Houston mayoral election is six weeks out

A little old but still interesting. Granted, a 48% unsure rating doesn't guarantee success for Parker, but the 62% "right track" opinion suggests she is unlikely to lose.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Parker will win with ease. She has done an excellent job. Though I am sure many conservatives are unhappy with a liberal female gay mayor. The only thing that could make it better is if she was black. Anyways, this is not Waco.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:49 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
I consider myself a moderate conservative and I can't even stand to see Ben Hall's ad. Even before the tax story broke, his commercials lacked sincerity and was patronizing. Parker has done well imo. The election is hardly even on the news so not going to be an exciting one.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:02 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
This isn't a race. She has no credible opponents. And that's because she is as close to a lock for her third term as one can get. So anyone who really wants to be mayor knows to wait two years, when the office is open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Honestly, a much more interesting race will be District A and Helena Brown.
Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Why? If you're going to post this, at least let us know why you feel this way.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,218,368 times
Hall is one of those guys who is in the middle.....he does not identify with average blacks as his campaign ads at the beginning focused on him graduating from havard and duke....who cares.

Then he lowballed black media early on and then stopped running ads himself as he had no monetary support outside of himself.

the next serious black candidate will need to be a native Houstonian but they also have to realize where the minority vote is...the blacks have moved to the suburbs and can;t vote for Houston issues

Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Ben Hall looks to me like a sellsman
talk, talk, talk, talk.... at the end you realize that he didn't say anything

BTW, I don't give a .... if he/she is black, white, orange, pink, etc.
We need a good mayor and that's it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: