Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:29 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I see the opposite, I'm seeing more and more white people moving into the city and gentrifying neighborhoods(i.e The Heights, Midtown, East End, Monstrose, Upper Kirby, Westbury) and I'm seeing more and more Black and Hispanics move out to the suburbs. If anything its reverse white flight.
Yep, when you can't afford the yearly maximum rise in taxes and get a small fortune, it's hard to blame them.

The sad part is that not everybody wants to leave, but many are forced out by tax increases.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm black and I like when I see "whitey" move in, that means the neighborhood is on a upswing.
or their situation/sexual orientation has changed and theres really only a few places where they can feel accepted or invisible... with the colored people. Houston in general does work as a place to go to when youre running away from your past

Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM

288 posts, read 433,926 times
White Flight, i always thought that was an interesting term. Times have changed, and it should be re-coined as, "money movers". People with money, and appreciation for their community do not want to live next to low income people who usually don't have the same values.

A ton of rich Latinos from Mexico, Argentina, and Colombia live in the Woodlands, along with everyone else who isn't the same ethnic back ground. if the Woodlands ever starts going down the drain, i doubt they stay just because the majority of low income transplants are minorities. I see Katy changing right before my eyes, and expect their fate in the next 10 years.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM

191 posts, read 350,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Neighborhoods really go to crap when whites move in.

How is this thread still open? Oh...because it bashes the white minority.
Exactly. When I saw people responding to the OP I thought "don't feed the trolls."

Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 AM

498 posts, read 837,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post
I mean really, who wants a hour commute each way every damn work day of their lives. 10hrs/wk in traffic, 40hrs/month, that's a whole extra work week just being parked on the Houston freeways. Fffff that, I prefer my 4 mile, 10 minute commute.
Unless you take the park & ride, then that's 10 hours a week of peace and quiet to catch up on reading and tv shows that is impossible to accomplish once home with the kids, or so my wife tells me.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Lol isn't that what happened to the Indians..Jk
I guess but it is so weird because my particular neighborhood is mostly minority (with a good amount of Blacks) and it is an affluent area. I was drinking with a friend of mine on a different street and we saw this white family moving in a couple of homes down from us. He looked at me and said "The white people are marching in now". The white people noticed us and said Hello. We sat there silent minding our own business and then they started to walk over probably to try to speak to us. Yeah, I don't feel like dealing with other people right now so my bud and I walked in the house. Maybe he just wanted to talk about bikes as he also owns a motorcycle but I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Are they looking to annex the suburbs again? I was under the impression Houston is far less interested in annexing residential areas after the Kingwood incident under Bob Lanier, as well as Texas legislation that was passed to make it more difficult to simply annex areas. Actually if you look at a map of Houston, they are far more interested in limited purpose annexation, which annexes commercial properties (and therefore receives taxes from those businesses) without having to provide the same level of city services it would otherwise have to provide for residential areas, as well as garnering far greater tax revenues from those areas.

I actually live in the outermost reaches of Houston ETJ, literally. Two miles west of me is the end of Houston's ETJ where it can expand no farther west, as it hits Fulshear/Richmond ETJs.
Do you watch the news? Houston has always been trying to annex businesses but now they want the residential areas now. They are willing to provide direct services because of the money they believe they can make. Google it if you care so much.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
It had the makings of a troll thread, what with the 3 word responses and bait questions.
Trolls and racebaiters are unable to have an intelligent conversation, that's why I always throw them back an "intelligent" question and then they don't know what to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm confused
I see people of all races everywhere in Houston
Not to be racist or anything but I thought whites would rather live away from minorities. Why don't they just stay where they are.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:40 AM

157 posts, read 325,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I guess but it is so weird because my particular neighborhood is mostly minority (with a good amount of Blacks) and it is an affluent area. I was drinking with a friend of mine on a different street and we saw this white family moving in a couple of homes down from us. He looked at me and said "The white people are marching in now". The white people noticed us and said Hello. We sat there silent minding our own business and then they started to walk over probably to try to speak to us. Yeah, I don't feel like dealing with other people right now so my bud and I walked in the house. Maybe he just wanted to talk about bikes as he also owns a motorcycle but I don't care.
Good for you! **** that honky.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Haggis View Post
Good for you! **** that honky.
Hey hey, I didn't mean it like that. Our neighborhood isn't a social neighborhood. They don't talk to each other at all. Now these happy go lucky people move in and actually walk toward me to try to talk to me after I didn't respond to them was weird and off putting. My girlfriend has since spoke to them and she said that they would like to meet but they aren't sure when I'm home. Again, I think they saw my motorcycles and they wanted to talk about it but who knows. I don't talk to my immediate neighbors so it isn't a race thing but it was just strange.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Do you watch the news? Houston has always been trying to annex businesses but now they want the residential areas now. They are willing to provide direct services because of the money they believe they can make. Google it if you care so much.
Actually I'm pretty sure it's just the opposite - the city stands to make more money for less by annexing the businesses using limited purpose annexation rather than outright annexation. Pretty sure the city is not in a frenzy of annexing neighborhoods; it's most recent annexation efforts are tied to industrial areas, for example.

I saved you the trouble so you wouldn't have to google it yourself, if you care.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/An...ndust_dist.pdf

Perhaps you could trouble yourself to provide me with examples of the city annexing residential areas in a hurry as of late. I'm genuinely interested to know one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston