Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
In SF, bikes rarely slow cars down in City traffic. It's usually the other way around.
Not true. Take a drive down Oak towards 101 in rush hour and see how the bicyclists hog an entire lane and cause traffic mayhem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
Houston has passed the 3 ft. law this year and you can bring bikes on the metro rail. They are also developing a 150 miles of bike paths to make it easier and safer for bicyclists to commute around the city.
This is good to hear and like it or not (I personally don't), it's probably attributable to Critical Mass. Since bicyclists don't take the whole lane in Houston (often the speed of traffic doesn't allow it and Houston drivers aren't accustomed to giving a cyclist a full lane), the 3 ft. rule will condition drivers to give way, if it's observed. Having ridden in Houston, I know it isn't, though. The other side of this point is banning bikes fro sidewalks. This forces drivers to learn to deal with them.

One question--why would someone take a bike on METRORail? its route is one of the most bikeable parts of the city. Bikes are for commuter lines, not inner-city people movers.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Not true. Take a drive down Oak towards 101 in rush hour and see how the bicyclists hog an entire lane and cause traffic mayhem.
Oak is a chiefly residential, three-lane, one-way street. I don't believe its speed limit gets above 35mph. It's as much a bike environment as it is a car one, so I'm not sure how a bike is "hogging" the lane, whatever that means.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Oak is a chiefly residential, three-lane, one-way street. I don't believe its speed limit gets above 35mph. It's as much a bike environment as it is a car one, so I'm not sure how a bike is "hogging" the lane, whatever that means.
They bike in groups hogging up one of the 3 lanes. Oak is very busy during rush hour as it is one of the main veins getting you out of the city via 101. I have personally seen it with my own eyes. I am lucky in that I ride a motorcycle so they don't stop me from riding in all 3 lanes. But I have seen the back up that they cause during rush hour.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
They bike in groups hogging up one of the 3 lanes. Oak is very busy during rush hour as it is one of the main veins getting you out of the city via 101. I have personally seen it with my own eyes. I am lucky in that I ride a motorcycle so they don't stop me from riding in all 3 lanes. But I have seen the back up that they cause during rush hour.
Are you sure we are talking about the same street? Oak is one-way going into the City, not out. And like I said, it's almost all residential. You should probably cut through the park to get up to the bridge, anyway.

In any case, stay safe on the bike. I've been wanting to start riding again lately, but see so many signs like the accident the other day, that tell me this isn't a very good place to ride a motorcycle.

Last edited by dalparadise; 11-03-2013 at 01:31 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Are you sure we are talking about the same street? Oak is one-way going into the City, not out. And like I said, it's almost all residential. You should probably cut through the park to get up to the bridge, anyway.

In any case, stay safe on the bike. I've been wanting to start riding again lately, but see so many signs, like the accident the other day, that tell me this isn't a very good place to ride a motorcycle.
I am certain. Fell takes you towards Masonic/the Panhandle and Oak takes you back to 101.

Motorcycling is so much fun! Hey since you live in the city maybe we can meet up for a drink and end our flame wars?

Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
I am certain. Fell takes you towards Masonic/the Panhandle and Oak takes you back to 101.

Motorcycling is so much fun! Hey since you live in the city maybe we can meet up for a drink and end our flame wars?
I wasn't aware you thought they were still going.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I wasn't aware you thought they were still going.
They are not but you never know with some posters

Old 11-03-2013, 03:00 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Yes, I would love to sit at a traffic light for 10 minutes.

Houston's Critical Mass Bike Ride (aka mass traffic mess) - YouTube

Old 11-03-2013, 03:08 AM

568 posts, read 901,083 times
Quote:
This is good to hear and like it or not (I personally don't), it's probably attributable to Critical Mass. Since bicyclists don't take the whole lane in Houston (often the speed of traffic doesn't allow it and Houston drivers aren't accustomed to giving a cyclist a full lane), the 3 ft. rule will condition drivers to give way, if it's observed. Having ridden in Houston, I know it isn't, though. The other side of this point is banning bikes fro sidewalks. This forces drivers to learn to deal with them.

One question--why would someone take a bike on METRORail? its route is one of the most bikeable parts of the city. Bikes are for commuter lines, not inner-city people movers.
As it stands the Metro Rail in Houston is not that extensive but you still see bicyclists us it. I've personally parked at Stude Park and then rode my bike down the White Oak Trail to the UHD Station. From there I went to Hermann park and enjoyed a show at the Miller Outdoor Theatre. I've seen people in scrubs with bikes commuting for work and I'm sure there are many other miscellaneous reason why people would hop on the rail.

The North Line expansion which starts running next month will have a station four blocks from where I live so I will surely use my bike more for errands. Also Houston has many bike sharing locations around the heart of the city. Surprisingly people are actually using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston