Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:33 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Exactly--meaning not bike-friendly.
Who cares if Houston is not as bike friendly as SF It is just another added feature to what makes it a miserable experience for people who drive cars in SF.

I am glad that it is not. I certainly would not want to be held up by bicyclists who think they own the roads when I am trying to get to the freeway so that I can go home after a long day at the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Exactly--meaning not bike-friendly.
I never said it was... You're having comprehension issues. My original post was about how Houston is making changes to accommodate bicyclists.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
I never said it was... You're having comprehension issues. My original post was about how Houston is making changes to accommodate bicyclists.
No, I understand what you are saying. In fact, I think we are now saying the same thing. The streetcar wouldn't be as convenient if Houston were more bike-friendly. I'm glad to hear measures are being taken to go that way.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:14 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
Houston is one of the easiest places I've ever biked. The roads are wide and flat. There are usually more than two lanes. There's not a lot of parallel parking. Speed humps are used to slow down traffic. There are wide shoulders not full of debris pushed there by snow plows. If the Critical Mass riders stopped at the red lights there shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, does anyone else find it ironic that folks complain about bicyclists going 12mph without a helmet but allow motorcyclists to go 75mph without a helmet? Doesn't make a lot of sense...

Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Houston is one of the easiest places I've ever biked. The roads are wide and flat. There are usually more than two lanes. There's not a lot of parallel parking. Speed humps are used to slow down traffic. There are wide shoulders not full of debris pushed there by snow plows. If the Critical Mass riders stopped at the red lights there shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, does anyone else find it ironic that folks complain about bicyclists going 12mph without a helmet but allow motorcyclists to go 75mph without a helmet? Doesn't make a lot of sense...
No, because the 12 mph cyclist on Memorial going 12 mph blocks traffic for miles. Btw, there is a sign that says no cyclists on Memorial Dr..

If a motorcyclist wants to be an idgit going 75mph with his brains ready to splat, at least he is not blocking traffic.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
No, because the 12 mph cyclist on Memorial going 12 mph blocks traffic for miles. Btw, there is a sign that says no cyclists on Memorial Dr..

If a motorcyclist wants to be an idgit going 75mph with his brains ready to splat, at least he is not blocking traffic.

I agree. I rode a motorcycle while living in Houston, Austin and Dallas and I can't imagine not wearing a helmet I even wear a full face helmet.

Even though the streets are wide in Houston I would not chance it on a bike. Wirt Road before I-10 has a bike lane and I recall when I lived off of Memorial Drive that a bicyclist was hit and killed on that bike lane. It also was a hit and run. It is not worth it to me. I ride my bicycle here in the Atherton/Palo Alto area and I hate it more than anything when cars are on the street with me. We take back streets through nice quite neighborhoods with low traffic just to be able to enjoy our ride and not encounter too many cars. I am not comfortable being on a bike on a busy street with cars. You can hardly trust them when driving a car or motorcycle...much less a bicycle.

In SF they hold up traffic all the time. Many are obnoxious and could only care about their rights to ride in the street and care nothing about the people in cars that they are holding up. Believe me you guys don't want a system like they have here. It only benefit's the cyclists and not the motor vehicles. Houston is too car dependent for that nonsense.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I agree. I rode a motorcycle while living in Houston, Austin and Dallas and I can't imagine not wearing a helmet I even wear a full face helmet.

Even though the streets are wide in Houston I would not chance it on a bike. Wirt Road before I-10 has a bike lane and I recall when I lived off of Memorial Drive that a bicyclist was hit and killed on that bike lane. It also was a hit and run. It is not worth it to me. I ride my bicycle here in the Atherton/Palo Alto area and I hate it more than anything when cars are on the street with me. We take back streets through nice quite neighborhoods with low traffic just to be able to enjoy our ride and not encounter too many cars. I am not comfortable being on a bike on a busy street with cars. You can hardly trust them when driving a car or motorcycle...much less a bicycle.

In SF they hold up traffic all the time. They are obnoxious and could only care about their rights to ride in the street not the people in cars that they are holding up.
Ok, the cyclists on the Pacific Coast Hwy freak me out to pass... i wonder how many a year get clipped..and roll down the cliffs.

I'm a cyclist, but I stick to races and Terry Hershey Park.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ok, the cyclists on the Pacific Coast Hwy freak me out to pass... i wonder how many a year get clipped..and roll down the cliffs.

I'm a cyclist, but I stick to races and Terry Hershey Park.
Not only that I ride my motorcycle through the mountain (84 or 92) on weekend to get to the Pacific Highway and this is a winding narrow mountain and it is full of cyclists. I can't fathom how they do it and feel good doing it. Cars fly around those corners and it is very dangerous. There are hundreds of cyclists in that mountain on the weekend. You could not pay me enough to take a chance on my life like that! I too wonder how many get clipped.

Well as you see it does happen in that mountain. http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=9253452

Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoreyouknow View Post
people will only put up with that type of bs for so long before they crack and cars usually win that game.
o...m...g...!!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
o...m...g...!!
Hey, if bike riders want everyone to "share the road" with them they shouldn't ride in large packs taking up all lanes and slowing down traffic to a crawl on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston