Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,349 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'll be seconded for six months in Houston by my employer starting from January. I'm female and in my late 20s.
It's going to be quite an adventure I guess, as I've been in the US only once before and in completely different areas.
I'll try and sort out the relocation directly from London so I have a couple of questions for locals.
Thanks in advance!
- I am going to work between Afton Oaks and Neartown. I'd like to live quite close to the office but have no idea of how the area is. Anyone has advice for a young and safe area quite close to there where is still possible to find something to do in the evening? i.e. music, theaters, bars, etc
- how common is flatsharing among professionals? In London it's very common as house prices are crazy. in case it's possibile to flatshare, what is the best way to find one?
- what's the average price of a studio/one bed? don't need a house, I guess a flat is ok.
- what's the best way to get a car for six months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM

536 posts, read 1,063,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilvia View Post
Hi all,
I'll be seconded for six months in Houston by my employer starting from January. I'm female and in my late 20s.
It's going to be quite an adventure I guess, as I've been in the US only once before and in completely different areas.
I'll try and sort out the relocation directly from London so I have a couple of questions for locals.
Thanks in advance!
- I am going to work between Afton Oaks and Neartown. I'd like to live quite close to the office but have no idea of how the area is. Anyone has advice for a young and safe area quite close to there where is still possible to find something to do in the evening? i.e. music, theaters, bars, etc
- how common is flatsharing among professionals? In London it's very common as house prices are crazy. in case it's possibile to flatshare, what is the best way to find one?
- what's the average price of a studio/one bed? don't need a house, I guess a flat is ok.
- what's the best way to get a car for six months?
Welcome!
Also check out the British Expat forum for expat experiences of being in the US. There's quite a few Brits in Houston on there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

It's not as common to flat share here as it is in the UK but it is possible.
Is your company paying for the car? Hiring a car is the most feasible option for 6 months unless your company can put you on a company car.

6 months is a very short time for a secondment. Make sure your company has a CPA (accountant) for you as there are tax implications of being here for 6 months depending on where you're paid.

Do you have a visa? The implications are on you if the company wants you to come across just using ESTA.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Again, you are young therefore you want to live in Midtown or Montrose. Both are about 10-15 minutes from your work. Neartown is also called the Montrose Midtown area. A one bedroom will run you 1200-1600 a month. You won't be able to sign a 6 month lease. Even if you can it will be cheaper to break a 12 month lease. I heard this is what the co-op kids do for Exxon.

Finding a flatmate can be done. Lots do it here to save money and still live in a fun area. I really don't know what to do about the car. I would have the company work that out. A car in Houston is a must.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:50 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
For a short secondment I wouldn't bother trying to find a flat share. Instead look for an extended stay hotel. My niece is doing this, working in Houston for a year away from her home in Philadelphia. She found it cheaper than renting a place and setting it up with utilities/internet/furniture...

Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
I recommend you check airbnb for a monthly rental. You can rent a place to yourself there but also a room from someone or guest quarters and that might work best for you.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 AM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Again, you are young therefore you want to live in Midtown or Montrose. Both are about 10-15 minutes from your work. Neartown is also called the Montrose Midtown area. A one bedroom will run you 1200-1600 a month. You won't be able to sign a 6 month lease. Even if you can it will be cheaper to break a 12 month lease. I heard this is what the co-op kids do for Exxon.

Finding a flatmate can be done. Lots do it here to save money and still live in a fun area. I really don't know what to do about the car. I would have the company work that out. A car in Houston is a must.
Why would Exxon kids do that when their going to be in Spring? Or are you speaking of what they used to do?

I second this posters advice, get a car ASAP. You'll need it for almost everything.

Most people dont call it flatmates down here, its called "roommate". Anyway look into craigslist Houston search for downtown, look up the location on google maps and start calling people. My opinion would be to look for places just west/southwest of downtown/midtown. Avoid jumping east of 59.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
For a short secondment I wouldn't bother trying to find a flat share. Instead look for an extended stay hotel. My niece is doing this, working in Houston for a year away from her home in Philadelphia. She found it cheaper than renting a place and setting it up with utilities/internet/furniture...
Also great advice..

good luck, and have fun!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Why would Exxon kids do that when their going to be in Spring? Or are you speaking of what they used to do?
I am talking about kids that co-op at Exxon. They are just there for a semester. Maybe you don't know what a co-op job is. It is common for engineers.

I don't know any young people that want to live outside the loop that can afford to live inside.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:14 AM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I am talking about kids that co-op at Exxon. They are just there for a semester. Maybe you don't know what a co-op job is. It is common for engineers.

I don't know any young people that want to live outside the loop that can afford to live inside.
I've done a few co-ops, but now since Exxon is outside the loop, so all those young folks will now have to either decide to live out there and work out there, or do the reverse commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston