Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

Liar liar pants on fire??? Mods please put an end to this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I've heard that too, that Houston was semi supportive of the football team in the 50's. When I was in high school in the late 80's I went with a group to a game & was pretty surprised at all of the empty seats. I'm glad things have changed, they seem to have pretty decent support now.

Jek, reread my post, I clearly said the information was from the schools reputation a couple of decades ago. It baffles me that you were irritated to read about the past reputation of UH. What I wrote was the truth and others here have agreed that my post was accurate.

Wrong, you didn't simply state that the city as a whole 20 years ago looked and felt NOTHING like it is today. You said this and it was condescending & rude:

You were offended by my snide reply - well that's good. You took the first jab with rude & condescending comments to me, if you're going to be rude first then be prepared for the same in return.

Lol! I went after your family? Wrong, I said it was ironic that you (a well documented forum bully) are 40 year old man, still is school and living with Mom. That's not going after your family, really, it's not.

You want me to address this:

Again, I didn't say I was basing UH's current reputation on it's old reputation. I clearly said that it was a reputation from a few decades ago. Quote me showing where I indicated what you are claiming. You can't quote me because I never indicated such a thing. You're making it up.

Sorry but I didn't edit the rotten things you said to other people, click on the blue arrow next to the quote to see the full conversations - you'll see that what I quoted were your own words. It's in black in white for anyone to see. And it showcases how you constantly go off on people when you don't like what they've written.

Bwahaha! I didn't get your age wrong!:

Liar liar pants on fire, you said almost 2 yrs ago you were 38:
Wow, I can't believe your immature behavior continues. People, this women is a social worker. This is where your tax dollars are going. Lizzy, my birthday is in June. I'm 39 years old, not 40 sweetheart. You were in FACT wrong. Close, but still wrong. And two, I did not say you edited my post, I said you only posted my comments and NOT the comments I was responding to. It would be as if I posted the comments you made to me without what I said to you previously that caused you to respond. In fact, you said it yourself, you responded rudely to me in "response" to my rude comments to you. That is EXACTLY what I did in all the above quotes you worked so hard to copy and paste. And finally, "liar,liar, pants on fire"? Really? Are you serious? You are actually a social worker right? As in, you try to help people with various problems? Is this how you speak to them to, or do you leave that for anonymous internet conversations? Lizzy, the irony is here, you work in a field where you are suppose to help those in need and it looks like, YOU are the one that needs help. This is not a personal attack. I really think you need help.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Te fact that it was the best little gem in the State for so long. The money being pumped into it's departments. It has good law, architecture, business, comp sci, political science and liberal arts programs. It's next to one of the biggest and growing cities in America. UH's growth mirrors Houston's growth and vice versa. It was always known to be a top school but just lacked the potential to break out of the city school mold.

I don't see other state universities putting this much effort. Maybe Texas Tech, but other than that, none.
I don't agree that UH "was always known to be a top school." Furthermore, UH is probably third best among public Texas schools for some of the graduate programs, but I won't be convinced that the same is true for the undergraduate education.

It is debatable about how UH compares to the other have-not schools like Tech and UT-Dallas.

It's great there seem to be so many advocates for the little home town school here, but there are many, many public schools that I would choose (and choose to send my kids to) before ever considering a fallback option like UH for undergraduate studies.

Graduate business school and law school? That's a different matter, and either would be good choices for a Houston-centric career.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:32 PM

UH's stronger programs are graduate programs I agree but it still has a pretty good undergrad program too. It's not Rice caliber or even UT caliber but as far as business, engineering and the sciences go it's great. The point is that it's not where it wants to be now. So far it's rep has grown on the strengths of it's grad programs because so many older professionals choose to go to UH because their professions brought them to Houston and they enjoy the cheaper tuition. To match the undergrad programs at Rice, UT or even SMU you would have to join the UH Honors Program which opens more doors for you.

But the new Dean is working on improving the undergrad program and so far she's doing an excellent job.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM

89 posts, read 126,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
I don't agree that UH "was always known to be a top school." Furthermore, UH is probably third best among public Texas schools for some of the graduate programs, but I won't be convinced that the same is true for the undergraduate education.

It is debatable about how UH compares to the other have-not schools like Tech and UT-Dallas.

It's great there seem to be so many advocates for the little home town school here, but there are many, many public schools that I would choose (and choose to send my kids to) before ever considering a fallback option like UH for undergraduate studies.

Graduate business school and law school? That's a different matter, and either would be good choices for a Houston-centric career.

"Fall back option"? Wow you clearly haven't visited campus lately. Have you seen the construction of the new stadium, new UC, Light rail, and the new retail & restaurants

Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrage94 View Post
"Fall back option"? Wow you clearly haven't visited campus lately. Have you seen the construction of the new stadium, new UC, Light rail, and the new retail & restaurants
Yes but I think the point is that school still isn't where the administration will see the school in the future. It's as though too many people are looking at the future of UH and reflecting on it now. It's undergrad program is still under construction. It's grad programs are solid.

UH undergrad is still not third behind UT and A&M, yet but it will be soon considering the massive amounts of investment and as the city of Houston continues to grow by leaps and bounds. Unless other schools are massively investing like UH, the only other is Tech, I cannot see any other state school climbing to the coveted third position.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:33 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Have you taken undergraduate classes at UH, or are you just speculating?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes but I think the point is that school still isn't where the administration will see the school in the future. It's as though too many people are looking at the future of UH and reflecting on it now. It's undergrad program is still under construction. It's grad programs are solid.

UH undergrad is still not third behind UT and A&M, yet but it will be soon considering the massive amounts of investment and as the city of Houston continues to grow by leaps and bounds. Unless other schools are massively investing like UH, the only other is Tech, I cannot see any other state school climbing to the coveted third position.
Here are some facts. If you major in energy, you will make 80k to 100k at graduation. At UH, you have one of the strongest alumni in the nation in energy here in the Houston area. And that IS what Houston is known for. Hell, I heard Dr. Parks give a talk about the MIS dept and he said all his graduates (undergrad) are getting 70k offers on graduation no questions asked. And this is MIS. I mean what are we using as a measuring stick here. I would think we would use job placement and starting salary. I'm not sure what more UH can do. They dominate in local energy.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Here are some facts. If you major in energy, you will make 80k to 100k at graduation. At UH, you have one of the strongest alumni in the nation in energy here in the Houston area. And that IS what Houston is known for. Hell, I heard Dr. Parks give a talk about the MIS dept and he said all his graduates (undergrad) are getting 70k offers on graduation no questions asked. And this is MIS. I mean what are we using as a measuring stick here. I would think we would use job placement and starting salary. I'm not sure what more UH can do. They dominate in local energy.
I don't disagree with anything you said. UH has the best undergrad business program dealing with energy. I have a friend who graduated from their program and us working in energy finance.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Of the top of my head some of the nationally ranked undergrad programs are Chemical engineering, computer science, and some of the programs within Bauer College. Seriously the typical rankings put UH academics already on par with the middle tier state schools in the big 12. There was an article in the Daily Cougar about how the honors program at UH is popular with kids who want a relatively inexpensive, yet quality, undergrad because they intend on going elsewhere for an expensive MD or PhD. The example in the article was a girl from UH later admitted to Johns Hopkins PhD in biomedical engineering. It's seriously becoming more and more of a destination school. If you haven't visited the campus in 5 or more years then you are in for a shock (but yes there's still a long ways to go). Dont blink or you are gonna miss something happening at UH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston