Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
It's simply ignorant to continue to refer to UH as "cougar high." Not to mention incredibly insulting to its students and faculty. Alas, though, it's just one of the ways Houstonians continue to kick themselves in the @ss by insulting their own city.
I agree and I want to add that I didn't mean to perpetuate that vein of thinking above. I only wanted to point out the hypocrisy of EA's comment.

I bet it's an exciting time to be part of the UofH community. There has been a concerted effort to raise the quality and profile of the school in recent years and the entire city benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 12:29 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Here's why U of H doesn't have a good reputation with native Houstonians in the 35+ age bracket.

Just a couple of decades ago, the name Cougar High was very fitting. UH had an open door admission policy. Kids who barely walked at graduation could sign up for classes at U of H. You could even get in with just a GED. It was a college for kids who still needed to be under the thumb of Mom & Dad in Houston. It was a commuter school that was notorious for crime on campus. There was no school spirit, hardly anyone attended football games. The campus didn't have a typical university feel - partly due to the high numbers of international students from Asia/India/Africa who spoke very broken English.

Just wanted to give some background as to why UH has to fend off the Cougar High jabs. I'm glad the school has improved, but takes time for perceptions to change.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:46 PM

175 posts, read 370,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I hope UH stays a cheaper city school.
The big plan is to make all freshman students live their first year on campus. So, no, it's not going to be a cheap school. And it is not a cheap school now.
As for UofH becoming tier 1. It's all about numbers. In reality, I don't see a lot of changes.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Here's why U of H doesn't have a good reputation with native Houstonians in the 35+ age bracket.

Just a couple of decades ago, the name Cougar High was very fitting. UH had an open door admission policy. Kids who barely walked at graduation could sign up for classes at U of H. You could even get in with just a GED. It was a college for kids who still needed to be under the thumb of Mom & Dad in Houston. It was a commuter school that was notorious for crime on campus. There was no school spirit, hardly anyone attended football games. The campus didn't have a typical university feel - partly due to the high numbers of international students from Asia/India/Africa who spoke very broken English.

Just wanted to give some background as to why UH has to fend off the Cougar High jabs. I'm glad the school has improved, but takes time for perceptions to change.
All true. But many schools of the former SWC also had negative perceptions, depending on which side of the fence you sat on. Some even had nicknames for UH that I won't repeat here since they are quite inflammatory. Fortunately those negative perceptions pretty much died away as people's attitudes changed. Yet for some reason 'Cougar High' moniker seems to blaze on with a life of it's own. Go figure.

However I am sure that in time, the positive press and accolades for UH will get assimilated into Houston culture and it will be nothing to think of it as another great University.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times
Quote:

That was from 20 yeas ago? Do you know what Houston was like 20 years ago? That city no longer even exists. Come on, move past that. Next thing you are going to tell me is Case Keenum is no Warren Moon and the reasons why the Texans keep choking is because the Houston Oilers were notorious for choking some two decades ago.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
UH is truly the third best state school in Texas, with Tech being a close fourth. UH has law, architecture, engineering, business and a strong liberal arts program.
US News ranks the public schools in this order. Feel free to dispute, but US News is widely accepted as the authority on school rankings.

Texas
Texas A&M
University of Texas-Dallas
Texas Tech
University of Houston

Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM

89 posts, read 126,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
US News ranks the public schools in this order. Feel free to dispute, but US News is widely accepted as the authority on school rankings.

Texas
Texas A&M
University of Texas-Dallas
Texas Tech
University of Houston

UH is above Texas tech on the Forbe's list. The main thing they need to work on is the graduation rate. This is slowly improving.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
That was from 20 yeas ago? Do you know what Houston was like 20 years ago? That city no longer even exists. Come on, move past that. Next thing you are going to tell me is Case Keenum is no Warren Moon and the reasons why the Texans keep choking is because the Houston Oilers were notorious for choking some two decades ago.
I simply gave info about the evolution of the term Cougar High. No need for your condescending reply.

You've told us you're a 40 year old Liberal Arts undergraduate at UH, so considering your "situation" I'll let your snarky comments slide as I chuckle a little under my breath.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times
Quote:
I simply gave info about the evolution of the term Cougar High. No need for your condescending reply.

You've told us you're a 40 year old Liberal Arts undergraduate at UH, so considering your "situation" I'll let your snarky comments slide as I chuckle a little under my breath.
Come again? I've been working in finance for 15 years and moved to Houston after a parent became deathly ill and felt going back to school was the best way to integrate into the local community and make connections as well as further my existing skills. So let me summarize for you Lizzy. I left my friends, my life, my career and all my connections in Chicago to move 1k miles away where I didn't know a single soul to take care of an ill parent. THAT is what I did. THAT is the sacrifice I made. Now, do you want to follow up with another condescending remark about me attending UH or are you done for now? And btw, I'm studying Economics with a minor in Energy and pretty much all my classes are upper level math. Anything else you would like to know?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
LizzySWW and EasilyAmused like to condescend to the masses now and then, jek, don't take it personally.

One of the things I really respect about UH students is that so many of them earn their degrees while working, supporting families, caring for sick family members, etc. You can't say that about many undergraduates at schools with more "privileged" students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston