Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 PM

134 posts, read 296,859 times

Advertisements

Hi,guys.
I am looking for a good after school program or academy to teach my 8 year old kid how to draw professionally. I live in NW.
Any suggestion?

Thanx ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 09:07 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Has your 8-year-old child already shown an unusual ability to draw objects, animals, people, etc., on his/her own, employing correct proportions and perspective? If so, you might call the Museum of Fine Arts Glassell Junior School and ask about classes there, or perhaps in your area. The MFA teachers are professionals who work with children of all ages and varying levels of skill.

I have an MFA in Studio Art. I have worked as a professional illustrator. I am certified in Art Education and have taught art at all levels from primary grades through university courses. In children, "making art" is related to their developmental skills and the way they perceive their world. Creativity in an individual develops in many ways. Each child learns at his/her own pace and drawing realistically is not a skill to be "taught" (i.e. "forced upon") most grade school youngsters.

It is VERY rare to find an 8-year-old who is ready physically, intellectually and emotionally, to tackle the rigors of "professional art training". Sometimes, parents want to see their child produce work demonstrating skills far beyond that youngster's natural level of development. You will always find artists out there who are willing to tutor pupils in copying the work of others and doing pictures for family members to "ooh" and "aah" at. Unfortunately, the pupil learns very little.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,265 times
Try artist within in Cypress.It is in NorthWest Houston

Old 11-05-2013, 05:58 AM

914 posts, read 1,833,223 times
I second the Glassell Junior School They have good weekend and summer programs. It is in the museum district--maybe a bit far for you.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 AM

191 posts, read 350,798 times
Might be too far but Houston School of Art and Design is on Katy Freeway between the loop and the beltway.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:09 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Ask the Art teacher at your child's school. My daughter's Art teacher does camps/tutorials in summer in HISD.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM

134 posts, read 296,859 times
Thank you all!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
My oldest was very advanced in art at that same age. He could give Jim Davis a run for his money drawing Garfield comics. Kids lined up at his desk in school so he could draw pictures and cartoons for them! We enrolled him in several classes at the Glassell school and he really enjoyed them. It was a drive, but luckily I work close by and could drop off and pick him up for classes he took during the summer days.

If he has a visible talent, certainly try to nurture it. My son tired of drawing as he grew older, but focused his artistic talents into music and video productions and hopes to make a career of it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston