Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times

Advertisements

Best Chinese restaurants in Sugar Land

Best Chinese restaurants Sugar Land, TX

Chinese grocery store in Sugar Land

99 Ranch Market
reviews 99 Ranch Market - Sugar Land, TX

Sugar Land Chinese Christian Church
Sugar Land Chinese Church -

There are many Asian people in Sugar Land - Chinese, Vietnamese, East Indian, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I know there is a Chinatown in Houston. How about the suburban areas outside the city? I ask because my wife is Chinese and usually prefers somebody that knows Asian hair to cut her hair, not to mention certain Asian/Chinese groceries she likes to buy on occasion.

I think nearly every city in the world has a China Town - Heck, I was in Rome a few years back and got off the train there and was in Rome's Chinatown. A friend of mine from India says that Calcutta has a Chinatown, too.

Thanks
Most definitely, Sugar Land.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,723 times
Sugar Land does have a large Chinese population. The 1/3 is mainly Indian/Pakistan, but Chinese comes in a close third. There is also a Ranch 99 Grocery store at Williams Trace and Hwy 6 I believe. And like everyone else stated above, you can hop on 59N to Beltway 8 N and exit Beechnut or Bellaire, and that's Houston's main "Chinatown" If you go east on Bellaire (from the Beltway) its mostly Chinese business, where the west side is mostly Vietnamese. This whole area is only about 20-25 mins from Sugar Land.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks. After I posted this, I looked up some of the suburban areas and saw that Sugar Land was like 1/3 Asian. I take it that is mostly non-Chinese Asian?
Chinese make up 32.4% of the total Asian population in Sugar Land, that's more than Indian, Vietnamese, etc. There are over 9,000 Chinese living there making it the 2nd largest enclave in the state after Plano. Sugar Land has a higher percent of Chinese, but Plano is many times the size therefore less dense.

Sugar Land, TX Population and Races

Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Sugar Land does have a large Chinese population. The 1/3 is mainly Indian/Pakistan, but Chinese comes in a close third. There is also a Ranch 99 Grocery store at Williams Trace and Hwy 6 I believe. And like everyone else stated above, you can hop on 59N to Beltway 8 N and exit Beechnut or Bellaire, and that's Houston's main "Chinatown" If you go east on Bellaire (from the Beltway) its mostly Chinese business, where the west side is mostly Vietnamese. This whole area is only about 20-25 mins from Sugar Land.
No, the Chinese population is the largest of all Asians in Sugar Land. See my link above.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Chinese make up 32.4% of the total Asian population in Sugar Land, that's more than Indian, Vietnamese, etc. There are over 9,000 Chinese living there making it the 2nd largest enclave in the state after Plano. Sugar Land has a higher percent of Chinese, but Plano is many times the size therefore less dense.

Sugar Land, TX Population and Races
Thanks - good information.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,723 times
For me, there's two kinds of Asians - the east/southeast Asians and the west Asians. There are more East Asians in Sugar Land then east/southeast Asians.

A lot of the Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipinos don't consider Indians, Pakistanis, Saudis etc as the same as them. And the reason I say this is because the food and culture are very different. You can walk into a Vietnamese grocery store and find all the same ingredients to cook a Chinese meal but you wouldn't be able to do that shopping in an Indian grocery store.

Last edited by Kiovo; 11-05-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
You realize that "Houston Suburbs" is a huge area?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You realize that "Houston Suburbs" is a huge area?
Yes, we may be relocating down to the area, so wanted to see if there were any areas outside of Chinatown within Houston itself that could work as a substitute for going into the city.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,721 times
Quote:
Yes, we may be relocating down to the area, so wanted to see if there were any areas outside of Chinatown within Houston itself that could work as a substitute for going into the city.
Houston chinatown is in the suburbs. The 'old chinatown' in downtown is dead and gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: