Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
I have to admit that I never realized these large stadiums are shared by several high schools. Does not justify the cost, but does add a little perspective for someone who has no experience with Texas public schools.
Would be better to split the money and have each school buy a piece of land for kids to do sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm glad
I HATE it when people play politics with our kids education.
they tied this $70 million stadium to funding for an agricultural center ($25 milllion) and a science and technology center ($4.5 million)

Forcing people to voting in favor of an expensive stadium to get better education facilities.
That's exactly what made that bond fail. I know that irritated a lot of people. If they would have put them on separate bonds, they might have got their stadium. We do need another stadium with seven high schools and counting, but $69.5 million? It seems a tad excessive.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
It just never made sense, let's build a stadium right next to a stadium. If you want/need a second stadium at least put it in South Katy.
Then it would appear to be favoritism, like it's only for the south side of the freeway. Keep it next to the old stadium and it still seems fair.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Would be better to split the money and have each school buy a piece of land for kids to do sports
They already have pieces of land next to each high school. They let the junior highs play in them to justify the costs.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:46 AM

222 posts, read 720,254 times
I read that Prop 2 in West University passed by exactly 1 vote. So it looks like your vote really does count.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM

113 posts, read 175,170 times
I knew this would not fly. Would that increased our taxes if approved?

Old 11-08-2013, 02:10 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Supposedly it was not going to increase taxes due to all the new homes and business being built. I think most of the voters were just not happy with the cost of the stadium and felt that money could be used for a lot of other things. Katy ISD does need another stadium so I don't doubt they will go back to the drawing board and come up with another solution.

I think the location they choose was fine since it was right by i10 which allows for easy on and easy off.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:37 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times
sucks with the overscheduling due to overabundance of schools with 1 stadium

what's next? Wednesday football?

They could renovate Tiger Stadium in katy for a fraction of the cost and let the scrub teams play there..

Katy High is the only school that draws anyway

Old 11-08-2013, 10:03 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Supposedly it was not going to increase taxes due to all the new homes and business being built.
So...a little "cart before horse" type action, eh? I would imagine that part of the equation is dependent on all those homes staying occupied and those businesses flourishing. None of that is a guarantee, but sounds like someone is doing just that.

I lived in Alvin when times were relatively booming. Once the plants over in Chocolate Bayou started clearing out, so did lots of neighborhoods, too. Heck, I can barely find a gas station open passed midnight now. I'm sure they thought the same thing. Build and they will come. I guess not really.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
So...a little "cart before horse" type action, eh? I would imagine that part of the equation is dependent on all those homes staying occupied and those businesses flourishing. None of that is a guarantee, but sounds like someone is doing just that.

I lived in Alvin when times were relatively booming. Once the plants over in Chocolate Bayou started clearing out, so did lots of neighborhoods, too. Heck, I can barely find a gas station open passed midnight now. I'm sure they thought the same thing. Build and they will come. I guess not really.
Alvin may boom for a different reason... suburbanization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: