Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 PM

427 posts, read 947,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Once again, it's not your job to try to control anyone's speed on the highway. Let law enforcement do that. That what they're paid to do, not you.
Those of us who are obeying the speed limit aren't controlling anyone's speed except our own. And the speed limits apply to all lanes. The left lane is for passing, not for excessive speeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:07 PM

10 posts, read 12,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Those of us who are obeying the speed limit aren't controlling anyone's speed except our own. And the speed limits apply to all lanes. The left lane is for passing, not for excessive speeding.
There's definitely nothing wrong with obeying the speed limit. But do remember that there are laws against cruising in the left lane as well. Now I don't know if all left lanes are designated passing lanes or only some of them, but I've seen the signs around.

Now I'm only conjecturing, but someone someone could be cruising at the speed limit in the left lane with cars behind him, thinking that he's in the right because he's obeying the speed limit. But at the same time, all the cars stuck behind him are thinking that he's breaking the law by misusing the passing lane.

Of course you could technically be passing if you're going 1mph faster than the guy to the right of you, but at that point wouldn't it be nicer just to merge right and let people pass you first?

I think as long as people drive with the mindset of not getting in each other's way instead of trying to be in the right, traffic would flow a lot smoother.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangsta View Post
There's definitely nothing wrong with obeying the speed limit. But do remember that there are laws against cruising in the left lane as well. Now I don't know if all left lanes are designated passing lanes or only some of them, but I've seen the signs around.

Now I'm only conjecturing, but someone someone could be cruising at the speed limit in the left lane with cars behind him, thinking that he's in the right because he's obeying the speed limit. But at the same time, all the cars stuck behind him are thinking that he's breaking the law by misusing the passing lane.

Of course you could technically be passing if you're going 1mph faster than the guy to the right of you, but at that point wouldn't it be nicer just to merge right and let people pass you first?

I think as long as people drive with the mindset of not getting in each other's way instead of trying to be in the right, traffic would flow a lot smoother.
I agree. Unfortunately there are a lot of rude drivers out there.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:40 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
I get over if someone is behind me in a hurry. BUT, I do not let people over when a lane ends with signs stating this well before it does. You are no more important than me to wait until the last minute to get over.

If they really wanted to help with something they should show a bigger presence on the weekends late at night. Everytime I leave from work at 5am I'm always on the rode with 2 to 3 drunks and never see a cop.

This.

So many will fly around everyone just to get to the front when we all know the lane is merging. When I see that joker I always straddle to keep them from getting in front of me. They're not any more important. I got off the same exit and stayed in line. You do the same jerk.

This is so similar to the jerk off's who get out of the EZ tag lane to crush then slowly merge back in. Stay where you were. That's why the EZ Tag lanes are moving slower than the paying people.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:55 AM

392 posts, read 998,698 times
Quote:
Who cares? There's a speed limit. I'm not going any faster than 5-7mph over it.
Um, everyone on the road around you. Self entitled *****.

Left lane is for PASSING.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post
Um, everyone on the road around you. Self entitled *****.

Left lane is for PASSING.
Not always.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:02 AM

498 posts, read 837,620 times
You know what grinds my gears? Middle aged adults speeding through pedestrian heavy parking lots. I would be willing to bet they're the same ones ironically cruising in the left lane.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
You know what grinds my gears? Middle aged adults speeding through pedestrian heavy parking lots. I would be willing to bet they're the same ones ironically cruising in the left lane.

Same ones that probably speed through neighborhoods. I can't count how many times I even see the school bus come through our neighborhood going pedal to the floor and around corners. I constantly get onto my wife when I ride with her and boy she hates it. You have made it home, lets keep it at 20mph and it'll take you 5 more seconds to get home.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Not always.
True, when traffic is heavy and still moving its usually fine to cruise in the left lane as long as you are keeping up with the car in front of you.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What's a good speed to go down the left lane then? Cus I tend to use the left lane in rate occasions but go ten above the speed limit maybe less depending on traffic. I do get honked at by people behind me wanting to go 20+ above the limit and get irked that I don't follow suit by going 100.
Going the limit on the left lane I could understand is stupid and I get cross with people doing lurching along when traffic is weak but at the same time I do get equally annoyed by those people that just want to haul a s $ at 90+ in their jacked up trucks. Anything lower that that they consider hogging so what's the consensus?
A good speed is whatever speed that doesn't have other drivers coming up on you faster from behind. Slower Traffic Keep Right. If you're going 65 and a car is approaching at 75, get over. I don't care if you're doing 200mph, if cars are coming up at 220 then get over.

You don't get to decide for everyone else what is a reasonable amount to exceed the speed limit.

A clear sign you need to get out of the left lane is if you find yourself being passed on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston