Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2007, 01:37 AM

18 posts, read 85,405 times

Advertisements

I am a single lady looking for relocating in Houston Tx.

I heared Northern or Western Houston is safer, low crime? Is it true? Would I be able to find a 700sf apartment (perfer 2 br) for between $500-$600?

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 11:02 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
I think that is too broad of a generalization. North and Northwest have some really dangerous areas such as Antoine area, (especially Desoto St.) and Greenspoint. I'm not too big on Cypress Station myself. There are also nice areas, such as right around Champions.

Southwest Houston gets the lions share of media attention for issues with apartments, and certainly there are very high crime areas there such the Club Creek, Forum Park and Fondren SW apartment areas. But there are going to be areas that are okay too I'm sure.

I think for that price range you would do better to settle for a one bedroom at a nicer complex. I have to question the quality of a $600 2 bedroom.

If you could find it, I still think the best case scenario is to find a garage apt or something like that in an older established area. That way you are not in a "complex" environment and I just think it tends to be safer.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:12 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Look in the Height's or Montrose areas for a decent priced garage apt should be able to find a nice once for $600 to $750 a month

Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
There are decent communities (safe) on all sides of town - you probably want to consider what area of town you will be working in and then determine which side of town to live in. For the price range you will probably have to live a little farther out but if you find condos or garage apts to rent from individuals then you can likely move closer in.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
Default add another 100 or 150 at least

You really can get an apartment in most sections of Houston for $600 but you're going to be on the low side and either in an older apartment with poor lots of mechanical problems or a lot of slimey residents - drug dealers, gang bangers, burnouts, guys hanging out drinking etc. As a single woman I'd part with another $100-150 and get a little better apartment - avoiding one mugging and losing the contents of your purse and some medical bills will pay for itself! Also, $600-$750 will buy a safer, better quality apt the farther it is outside loop 610 and you can use limited-access lane park-n-ride buses for a quick ride to downtown or med center areas if you work close-in. $600 inside of the loop will buy you nothing but trouble. The one exception might be a garage apartment or spare room in some wealthy families' big house in River Oaks or West U. Might have to give up some privacy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: