Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 AM

157 posts, read 325,598 times

Advertisements

Looking at the area around UH for a $30-50k cash deal. Most of them have a small 900sf house dilapidated or burned beyond repair on a 4000-5000 sf lot.

How much does it cost to demo and remove and are there any other hidden costs to owning a lot? Infrastructure? Upkeep? Tax is about $1k/yr. My plan would be to hold it for 20-30 years, show up quarterly to check in and get away with doing the least amount possible before reselling.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
I would find out if you need any liability insurance for the lot. If anyone gets hurt on your lot, which is private property, you could be libel. I know I had to insure a property several months before actual construction began.

Can't imagine demo would be over 3 grand for something like that.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
Around 2-3k is my guess. I can recommend some companies if you would like. I would tear it down. You don't want to carry insurance on it. If someone gets injured in the house you are liable. I would also look into buying a house that is being moved instead of torn down. Move it there and lease the house out. As an investment I still think it is 20-30 years before that area even starts to turn around.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Haggis View Post
are there any other hidden costs to owning a lot? Infrastructure? Upkeep? Tax is about $1k/yr. My plan would be to hold it for 20-30 years, show up quarterly to check in and get away with doing the least amount possible before reselling.

Thanks.
Interesting question.

/subscribe/

Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Looking at the area around UH for a $30-50k cash deal. Most of them have a small 900sf house dilapidated or burned beyond repair on a 4000-5000 sf lot.

How much does it cost to demo and remove and are there any other hidden costs to owning a lot? Infrastructure? Upkeep? Tax is about $1k/yr. My plan would be to hold it for 20-30 years, show up quarterly to check in and get away with doing the least amount possible before reselling.

Thanks.

I had a small home demolished a bit over a year ago in Illinois and it was $5000.00 for the demolition, clean up and to haul everything away. As far as owning a lot I have to pay real estate taxes and keep the lot mowed.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I would find out if you need any liability insurance for the lot. If anyone gets hurt on your lot, which is private property, you could be libel. I know I had to insure a property several months before actual construction began.

Can't imagine demo would be over 3 grand for something like that.
Good point on the insurance. I will look into it. Kinda funny someone could go after me for getting hurt while trespassing on my property. Wouldn't put it past anyone in that area to try and get a piece of the pie. But it looks like developers are scooping up one lot at a time and I may jump in on the action. Preferably on a block where there are few homes and a developer has bought up multiple lots.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Not cheap...

Quote:

Thanks.
It can be 5-10K! Don't buy it if it has asbestos siding, or shingles, else you have to get a hazardous materials permit, and a special crew to properly dispose of the asbestos, that alone is a 2-3K cost, and that is not demolition, just the removal of the asbestos BEFORE demolishing the house. You do know that you need a permit to tear down a house, yes? That is how they will know if it has asbestos, or not.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,155 times
I would pass 5000sqft is really to small for a decent size home I would be looking for no less than a 7000sqft 7500sqft lot. In other area I would be looking for a bigger lot

Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It can be 5-10K! Don't buy it if it has asbestos siding, or shingles, else you have to get a hazardous materials permit, and a special crew to properly dispose of the asbestos, that alone is a 2-3K cost, and that is not demolition, just the removal of the asbestos BEFORE demolishing the house. You do know that you need a permit to tear down a house, yes? That is how they will know if it has asbestos, or not.
I appreciate this. I knew about the permit but didn't think about the abatement since I always shy away from anything too old or too new...Really 5-10k isn't too bad considering I thinking long term.

Djboutit I don't really care about lot size as.long as it isn't real small like 2000 sf
What I am seeing going through tax records is you'll have a block with 10-14 lots with a couple of homes, a couple of condemned places and all empty land. The empty land is mostly owned by a single developer. If I can interrupt the flow of ownership in 20 years I may be able to sell for higher $ or open up some sort of business, maybe one that caters to UH, grow it and sell it. I have no intention of living there.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
And people in West U build 5,000 sf homes on 5,000 sf lots...so yeah...is that not big enough? Way too small of a yard for me, but it doesn't slow down some apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: