Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty4tx View Post
Wow this is what I mean if you dare tell it like it is. The locals who have been in "Katy Proper" more than 20 years blah blah will pounce on you . As you can see their football pride goes above and beyond! If I had a child in love with Football and would make the NFL then I would consider Katy High School just for that. Other than that, you seriously need to be a local to love or want to be in Katy Proper. It is the truth. Academically they are not on par with other high schools in the area . The areas that are not "Katy Proper" . Those responses should tell people how "Katy Proper" is like. Very very small town mentality, there must not be anything recreational to do if all you guys just go to high school football games. Obviously they have never left Katy Proper to see other parts of the world. Or truly know that Katy High School is not known nationally for anything other than FOOTBALL. This kind of close minded mentality just confirms my decisions to not move there was a good one!

By the way, Katy as a whole is not that keen on the whole Football thing that Katy High School is so into. That is why the bond failed miserably. Most people who are NOT in Katy Proper were heavily against building a ridiculous football stadium just for high school Football. That is why the bond failed miserably.

Don't get me wrong sports is great, if your child is into Football then that is the high school for you. Academically they are not on par and reports will show that. UNBIASED reports.

Just go to har.com and you will see how property values match up against each other, compare it for yourself.

I do have an idea, actually my old neighbor moved her child to Katy High School because academically he was doing poorly in Seven. He is doing great now! He even said that he was glad to move to Katy High School because the standards academically were not as hard and highly expected as in Seven Lakes. So That was actually a good thing. If you do not want a school with standards as high then your child CAN benefit! He also said that in Seven Lakes they were more stricter with grades and in Katy they actually were more lenient.

So to each their own.
LOL you are clueless and your stories are BS. The standards are the same all across the board, it all comes down to how well prepared the kid is going into school. You can send your kid to Clements HS and he/she can still amount up to flipping burgers. If your kid can't cut it, Cinco, 7L or Tompkins will not mean a hill of beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 03:38 PM

670 posts, read 1,441,831 times

Old 11-17-2013, 04:54 PM

26 posts, read 67,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Close minded...yes we are the close minded ones since we are the ones continuously bashing on a school our kids aren't going to, bashing on a city that we don't live in...

Go to har.com and see how much homes in Woodcreek Reserves are, homes in The Reserve at Katy, The Avalon at Spring Green, Firethorne...they are just on par if not more. Then if you're really adventurous, look up how much land cost in Katy proper compared to un-incorporated Harris and Fort Bend county.

No one came on here and said KATY HIGH SCHOOL IS THE BEST!!!! KATY PROPER IS THE BEST!!!! But before you start giving out your opinion be prepared for others to give their opinions back.

Hopefully your kids don't disappoint you and are just "average" since you seem to have such high expectations of them academically.

And just fyi, we moved to Katy proper from Houston..on purpose. So your theory on "nobody" moves to Katy proper just because its Katy proper is just flat out wrong. Our housing budget allowed us to have our pick of any neighborhood zoned to any school, and *gasp* we choose Katy proper!

Homes in Firethorne are less than homes are much less than in Cinco, are you kidding me you really think Firethorne is on par with Cinco?!?!?.. Wow why you are trying to say they are equal or more ? You are the one going on about how Katy Proper is so good and people move just to be IN Katy Proper. Yeah they do if they are very local and they want less academic standards for their kids and CHEAPER homes. You get more land there too. I wonder why.

It is not all the same standards, if it is the same then why does Taylor, Seven and Cinco all top the nations best High Schools and Katy does not and has not come close to making the list ?

Just go to the website yourself and COMPARE Avalon Spring Green vs all the other Avalons that are NOT zoned to Katy High School .Have you gone to their model home and spoken to the sales rep? They even tell you they are CHEAPER and LOWER priced.

Toll brothers homes are also MUCH MUCH cheaper at Katy Reserve than their sections in Cinco!

That is easily verifiable through their website!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 PM

21,473 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Homes in Firethorne are less than homes are much less than in Cinco, are you kidding me you really think Firethorne is on par with Cinco?!?!?.. Wow why you are trying to say they are equal or more ? You are the one going on about how Katy Proper is so good and people move just to be IN Katy Proper. Yeah they do if they are very local and they want less academic standards for their kids and CHEAPER homes. You get more land there too. I wonder why.

It is not all the same standards, if it is the same then why does Taylor, Seven and Cinco all top the nations best High Schools and Katy does not and has not come close to making the list ?

Just go to the website yourself and COMPARE Avalon Spring Green vs all the other Avalons that are NOT zoned to Katy High School .Have you gone to their model home and spoken to the sales rep? They even tell you they are CHEAPER and LOWER priced.

Toll brothers homes are also MUCH MUCH cheaper at Katy Reserve than their sections in Cinco!

Liberty, you're one of the reasons I'm glad my kids don't go to Seven Lakes or Cinco Ranch. Your kids are probably raging snobs like you. Yeah, we get it - Cinco is way more expensive than Firethorne. So what? Firethorne is still a nice neighborhood. Are you saying that only rich kids are smart? Are you the same person who posted on another topic that homes in the $110's were ghettos, and if so, have you been to an actual ghetto?

Oh, and don't go thinking that Taylor, Seven and Cinco are in the top high schools for any reason other than a high Asian population. I'd bet you anything that those top ACT and SAT scorers were mostly Asian. Who were the valedictorians and salutatorians of those three schools for the last five years? I've seen their names and photos in the Katy Times every year, and maybe one was a white kid. The rest were Asians. I think that's fine, wonderful in fact. I just think my kid has a better chance at top 10% on my side of town.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:33 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:

According to HAR.COM right now, CR has 3 homes for sale under $200k, Firethorne has 1. CR is the biggest master planned community in the Katy area, and homes sell fast because its in CR. Kinda like when someone pays more for a name brand instead of generic. There are neighborhoods in the same area for less that go to the exact same schools, they just won't have access to the 10+ pools CR has.

Toll brothers homes in CR start out at $448k for 3243 sq ft. Toll brothers homes in The Reserve at Katy start out at $439k for 3000 sq ft. You're right, that's so MUCH MUCH cheaper!!!

At least when I talk about Katy proper, I have direct experience and know what I'm talking about while not putting down other Katy areas. I can go on and on about each individual neighborhood and why we didn't choose to live in those neighborhoods but I don't. Because at the end of the day, I don't live there so I'll let the people that do, talk about their areas.

I also find it quite odd that over 1/2 your posts since being on CD have been bashing KHS...did someone from KHS run over your dog or something?? Why all the hate?!

Last edited by Kiovo; 11-17-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Liberty, you're one of the reasons I'm glad my kids don't go to Seven Lakes or Cinco Ranch. Your kids are probably raging snobs like you. Yeah, we get it - Cinco is way more expensive than Firethorne. So what? Firethorne is still a nice neighborhood. Are you saying that only rich kids are smart? Are you the same person who posted on another topic that homes in the $110's were ghettos, and if so, have you been to an actual ghetto?

Oh, and don't go thinking that Taylor, Seven and Cinco are in the top high schools for any reason other than a high Asian population. I'd bet you anything that those top ACT and SAT scorers were mostly Asian. Who were the valedictorians and salutatorians of those three schools for the last five years? I've seen their names and photos in the Katy Times every year, and maybe one was a white kid. The rest were Asians. I think that's fine, wonderful in fact. I just think my kid has a better chance at top 10% on my side of town.
I admit I have no business in here as I live in Sugar Land. But I have been reading this post all day, as I find it fascinating. This particular post gets me though. I hate this top ten percent crap. I hate this Asian stereotyping. I think my white kids can play the game with the Asians if you know what I mean. Texas has done its students a disservice with the top ten percent game. Just my opinion.

Signed,

A former east coaster who graduated fourth in her class

Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 PM

498 posts, read 837,620 times
Quote:
Wow this is what I mean if you dare tell it like it is. The locals who have been in "Katy Proper" more than 20 years blah blah will pounce on you . As you can see their football pride goes above and beyond! If I had a child in love with Football and would make the NFL then I would consider Katy High School just for that. Other than that, you seriously need to be a local to love or want to be in Katy Proper. It is the truth. Academically they are not on par with other high schools in the area . The areas that are not "Katy Proper" . Those responses should tell people how "Katy Proper" is like. Very very small town mentality, there must not be anything recreational to do if all you guys just go to high school football games. Obviously they have never left Katy Proper to see other parts of the world. Or truly know that Katy High School is not known nationally for anything other than FOOTBALL. This kind of close minded mentality just confirms my decisions to not move there was a good one!

By the way, Katy as a whole is not that keen on the whole Football thing that Katy High School is so into. That is why the bond failed miserably. Most people who are NOT in Katy Proper were heavily against building a ridiculous football stadium just for high school Football. That is why the bond failed miserably.

Don't get me wrong sports is great, if your child is into Football then that is the high school for you. Academically they are not on par and reports will show that. UNBIASED reports.
I wonder what Freud would say about this?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM

498 posts, read 837,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I hate this top ten percent crap. I hate this Asian stereotyping. I think my white kids can play the game with the Asians if you know what I mean.
Is it still " ______ist/ism" if it's true?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
I wonder what Freud would say about this?
Liberty will probably just google Freud and tell you their expert opinion on it. For someone that doesn't care about football, they sure do like to mention it a lot!!

The 10% deal with Texas schools really does need to be done away with. I went to high school out of state, and my mind was blown when I heard about the top "10%". The Asians do tend to dominate the 10% in the Katy and Sugar Land area, but that's not to say kids of other races have no chance.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Is it still " ______ist/ism" if it's true?
But, it isn't always true. I have Asians in my family. None of them were in the top 10 percent of their graduating classes.

I cannot imagine picking a home location based on whether your child would have a chance at graduating in the top ten percent of their high school class. That seems crazy to me. It makes me not even want my kids to apply to TX state schools when the time comes, no matter where they are percentage wise in their classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston