Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,227 times

Advertisements

My family has decided to make a move to the outskirts of Houston next summer and we have a million questions!! Right now we are torn between Cypress, Katy, Sugarland, and Missouri City. My husband will be working in Missouri City, but he says a commute is not an issue for him. So I guess my question is, out of these locations which would be best in the opinions of people who already live there. We are looking to rent originally until we decide this location is really where we want to be and we would like to not spend over $1700 a month. Is that something that would be feasible for a 4 bedroom? We would also want to know about the high schools in the area since we are the guardians of 2 teenagers. We really want to be in a diverse area that is family friendly for the teens as well as the future children we plan to have. Sorry that I am so long winded, but I am very excited about this move. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 207,828 times
Out of the four places you mentioned, I would recommend Katy based on the background you have provided. However, I could be biased as I live here and absolutely love it. The commute from Katy to Missouri City shouldn't be too bad, especially after they finish with the section of Grand Parkway that connects Katy to Sugar Land. However, keep in mind that it will be a tollroad though. You can also look into Sienna Plantation, which is just south of Sugar Land and Missouri City where they have new houses and schools. The commute for your husband should also be significantly shorter.

If you have any significant questions please feel free to ask, I'm sure many of us here would be eager to help. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM

105 posts, read 168,933 times
Why have him commute if he dosen't have to? Lots of people would love to have a work location in MC probably about a half million.

Looks of decent options around MC. Rent amount might be tight but you can probably find it, if you stay in the Elkins High School zoning.

This area is very hot right now with housing of all kinds......friend had one had 4 cash offer for listing price + in less then 24 hours on the market...

Go to Har and customize your search for rents in Missouri City and then Sugar Land, and then research the High School zoning.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanks to the both of you for your replies!

Sugar Land ***- We don't want to make a decision on where we decide to live just based on where my husband works. Especially if he accepts a new position with another company which is an option as well. He is okay with a commute if we find what we are looking for in a home and it isn't in Missouri City. But I am going to check out Har. Just found an app for it and hope this helps me out! Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 AM

264 posts, read 442,075 times
I second Sienna Plantation. It's a lovely neighborhood and I think you can get more for your $$ than in Sugar Land. Has your husband been in Houston during commute times? I don't mind distance but distance plus bumper to bumper traffic make a stressful commute. I had a 28 mile commute that at a minimum would take 75 minutes...the worst day was just over 2 hours.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM

TXbywayof - thanks for your insight. I have been reading a lot of good things about Sienna Plantation. As far as my husband goes, he hasn't had to deal with Houston traffic during commute times. We've only visited during the weekends and personally the traffic wasn't as bad as I expected. But according to him if he can endure Los Angelos traffic he can endure Houston traffic. Being that he is from California he is used to extreme traffic I guess.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:56 AM

34 posts, read 77,943 times
look for the master planned communites- the ones close by that I know about are Telfair, New territory and sienna plantation.. good luck with your search.
also new territory BLVD has a secton of apartments avaliable for rent...its pretty decent andthey do short term leasing

Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM

29 posts, read 57,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessions1012 View Post
As far as my husband goes, he hasn't had to deal with Houston traffic during commute times. We've only visited during the weekends and personally the traffic wasn't as bad as I expected. But according to him if he can endure Los Angelos traffic he can endure Houston traffic. Being that he is from California he is used to extreme traffic I guess.
Oh yeah, Houston traffic is nowhere near as bad as traffic in Los Angeles! With that said, I'm sure your husband still would prefer to spend an extra 30 minute to an hour a day at home than on the road, especially during those hot summer months.

There is generally not much traffic on weekends unless there is some kind of special event and you're driving near it. But weekdays are a different story.

As suggested in another thread, the best thing to do is look at Google Maps around rush hour, during both morning and evening, and turn on traffic to get an idea of how bad the traffic is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston