Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,416,361 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of the proposal of turning the Gus Wortham golf course near Idylwood into a Botanical garden and a 9 hole course?

I think it will be good for the East End and be good for tourism. The course is apparently run down, and in need of funds. Is it better to have a run down 18 hole golf course, or a revamped 9 hole course? I don't golf, so I have no idea. Also, do many holders play there currently?

Garden Group Looking To Turn Gus Wortham Golf Course into Botanical Wonderland » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:40 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,706,141 times
I read about that yesterday. I don't see the point in having a 9 hole course. Convert it all or none. Make half a garden and the other half a park. Houston has more golf courses than it knows what to do with. I also have never heard of any of my friends playing that course. I did not even know it existed.

I think the location is not so hot. It is too far from the city. The KBR site would be a great location, but I am sure it is just too expensive. I also think that KBR plot is a key to turning over that ward. I like park projects in general I just think this one won't get used often due to the remote location.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,047,358 times
I think the golf course at 9 holes is nice to save for the nearby residents and hs kids learning to play as that would be the closest one to them. Those in less exclusive areas should have cheaper places they can play. I've been there a few times. The botanical gardens will breathe new life into the area and bring some new attention to the old but smaller course.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM

785 posts, read 1,237,209 times
I'd prefer that it all turn into botanical gardens and a park, but I guess a smaller golf course wouldn't be so bad. Would there be any danger to people in the gardens from golf balls whizzing by though?

Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,706,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
I'd prefer that it all turn into botanical gardens and a park, but I guess a smaller golf course wouldn't be so bad. Would there be any danger to people in the gardens from golf balls whizzing by though?
No. There is only so far you can slice a ball. I have certainly tried myself. I know I have put one in the Houston Zoo playing at Hermann.

As for an affordable golf course. They can drive to Hermann to play. I don't feel like golf is some sport that all need amazing access to. It takes a lot of money to upkeep a golf course. I think a park would serve the area better than 100 or so people who want a cheap local course.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:50 AM

Golf isn't a sport.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:56 AM

You're right though, there's no comparable park on the east side like Hermann or Memorial. Turning all of it into a park/arboretum is probably a better use of the land.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM

568 posts, read 903,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I read about that yesterday. I don't see the point in having a 9 hole course. Convert it all or none. Make half a garden and the other half a park. Houston has more golf courses than it knows what to do with. I also have never heard of any of my friends playing that course. I did not even know it existed.

I think the location is not so hot. It is too far from the city. The KBR site would be a great location, but I am sure it is just too expensive. I also think that KBR plot is a key to turning over that ward. I like park projects in general I just think this one won't get used often due to the remote location.
I think the neighborhood would appreciate the course and I know I would. I mostly go there for the driving range though. It's next to a beautiful neighborhood and near the metro rail. It's a good location.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,294,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
What do you guys think of the proposal of turning the Gus Wortham golf course near Idylwood into a Botanical garden and a 9 hole course?

I think it will be good for the East End and be good for tourism. The course is apparently run down, and in need of funds. Is it better to have a run down 18 hole golf course, or a revamped 9 hole course? I don't golf, so I have no idea. Also, do many holders play there currently?

Garden Group Looking To Turn Gus Wortham Golf Course into Botanical Wonderland » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape
I play that course several times a year. It's relatively cheap and one of the few courses around town that is very walkable. It's a fairly easy course, doesn't eat balls too bad, and seldom crowded. Only part I don't like is the chance of slicing one into Wayside traffic on #2 or plunking a car in the parking lot on #9.

I doubt that many golfers would play it at 9 holes. It really doesn't make sense. It's not like your average muni player can tell much difference and it's kinda nice to get a "second chance" at the hole that killed you before. But I've heard too many fellow golfers turn their noses up at 9 holers.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,531,644 times
Why not incorporate a Botanical Garden into the Buffalo Bayou renovation east of Downtown. You have all kinds of vacant land between the Turning Basin and DT. Save the course for when the area Gentrifies and Eastside Yuppies need a place to play.

http://www.buffalobayou.org/guidetobb.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston