Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 02:08 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times

Advertisements

Wow. I guess it doesn't matter if someone spends 33 years of their life growing up in a place, where their entire family is from (and still lives). If they dare move away for a few years, then they automatically have ZERO knowledge about the city they grew up in and spent most of their life in, according to a few of you. I suppose each and every one of you are Houston natives, who never lived anywhere else, right? I mean, you do realize how petty you sound, don't you? All you can focus on is the word "Seattle". It's juvenile.

And I especially love the way gsmj has repeatedly taken my words out of context, and his little bandwagon fans have followed his lead. This has gotten twisted far beyond what I was originally trying to add to the discussion, which was simply that I don't agree that Gulfton is the 3rd world rubble-strewn apocalypse world that you would have us believe it is. Have you ever even been to a real ghetto? And never mind the fact that I never once said Gulfton was "safe", or recommended that the OP should move there. Sorry I ruffled so many delicate suburban feathers. I'll be on my way now... off to run for mayor of Seattle.

Carry on.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-23-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:29 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Wow. I guess it doesn't matter if someone spends 33 years of their life growing up in a place, where their entire family is from (and still lives). If they dare move away for a few years, then they automatically have ZERO knowledge about the city they grew up in and spent most of their life in, according to a few of you. I suppose each and every one of you are Houston natives, who never lived anywhere else, right? I mean, you do realize how petty you sound, don't you? All you can focus on is the word "Seattle". It's juvenile.

And I especially love the way gsmj has repeatedly taken my words out of context, and his little bandwagon fans have followed his lead. This has gotten twisted far beyond what I was originally trying to add to the discussion, which was simply that I don't agree that Gulfton is the 3rd world rubble-strewn apocalypse world that you would have us believe it is. Have you ever even been to a real ghetto? And never mind the fact that I never once said Gulfton was "safe", or recommended that the OP should move there. Sorry I ruffled so many delicate suburban feathers. I'll be on my way now... off to run for mayor of Seattle.

Carry on.
Wow. You really got your feelings hurt. It's not that big of a deal. We all heard and understood where you were coming from with your defense of Gulfton. It's just other people see it differently. Gulfton is one of the worst neighborhoods in Houston and although it's not as bad as a few decades ago, it is still bad compared to other parts of Houston that the OP should consider. I'm sure the OP took your perspective into consideration the same way he took some others and will make a decision best for him. Just because some people disagreed with you it shouldn't cut you so badly. Just laugh it off. It's not like any of us know each other personally.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Wow. You really got your feelings hurt. It's not that big of a deal. We all heard and understood where you were coming from with your defense of Gulfton. It's just other people see it differently. Gulfton is one of the worst neighborhoods in Houston and although it's not as bad as a few decades ago, it is still bad compared to other parts of Houston that the OP should consider. I'm sure the OP took your perspective into consideration the same way he took some others and will make a decision best for him. Just because some people disagreed with you it shouldn't cut you so badly. Just laugh it off. It's not like any of us know each other personally.

Yes. I'm crying a river of tears. Do any of you comprehend sarcasm? I've been "laughing it off" ever since this thing went sideways, but if it makes you feel better, keep assuming I'm slitting my wrists over this. You guys are a riot.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:50 PM

498 posts, read 837,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yes. I'm crying a river of tears but if it makes you feel better, I'm slitting my wrists over this.
Suicide is no joke. Crisis Intervention of Houston, 24/7 crisis hotline, confidential, anonymous, 713-HOTLINE

Old 11-23-2013, 06:03 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentanman View Post
The Colony oaks apartments. Really big, affordable. Just down chimney rock past bellaire on clairewood. Its gated in, the inside area doesn't seem bad at all. Its just the surrounding areas aren't the best.

Any advice? 950$ for 1300 sqft 2 bed apartment is pretty nice.
If you really want to know how an area is, talk to HPD and HFD that work that area. They'll tell you the real story. People that live there will likely try to down play the area if it's bad or sing its praises if it's good.

A lot can change in an area within months, much less years. Look what Katrina did to some of the Houston neighborhoods.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:24 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
I live at that NW corner of Bellaire so I'm driving down that stretch of C-Rock all the time. The biggest problem IMO are those food stores/shopping plazas just across the street from those apartments - I see people that look up to no good congregating/loitering around there on a regular basis. The apartments themselves are almost entirely Latino as others have said. Not the best area but if you visited and didn't feel unsafe then go for it.
Are you implying there's a problem with the apartments being almost entirely Latino? If the apartments were all Anglo, would that mean everything is A-OK? Just wanting to make sure the residents' ethnicity or race isn't being used to characterize a complex in a negative way.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Rapes are under-reported in the area as well, something to consider, especially if your girlfriend stands out (i. e. white), and she has to arrive/leave when it is night out. The area is called the Gulfton Ghetto for a reason.
How do you know that rapes are under-reported? Where's the "data"?

As an aside (not related to the above post), I see so many threads in this Houston forum that characterize neighborhoods as "good" or "bad" based on the ethnicity of the area. If you want to base it on specific crime statistics (crime rates), great. But I get really tired of comments in this forum about neighborhoods being "full of Latinos" or "full of blacks" (said in a negative way) and yet the moderators either miss these comments or tolerate them. It's not just the Houston forum.

If Gulfton is indeed mostly Latino and, as one poster mentioned, commonly one sees moms pushing their kids in strollers, then isn't that a great thing? To me that means a nice family community, and probably very nice, friendly people.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 11-23-2013 at 09:41 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
How do you know that rapes are under-reported? Where's the "data"?

As an aside (not related to the above post), I see so many threads in this Houston forum that characterize neighborhoods as "good" or "bad" based on the ethnicity of the area. If you want to base it on specific crime statistics (crime rates), great. But I get really tired of comments in this forum about neighborhoods being "full of Latinos" or "full of blacks" (said in a negative way) and yet the moderators either miss these comments or tolerate them. It's not just the Houston forum.

If Gulfton is indeed mostly Latino and, as one poster mentioned, commonly one sees moms pushing their kids in strollers, then isn't that a great thing? To me that means a nice family community, and probably very nice, friendly people.
It's just you. The rest of us know what that really means. Little old lady and baby are out strolling the neighborhood but her teenage kids are out terrorizing the neighborhood along with their uncles and friends. Let's not pretend that Gulfton is only made up of old ladies and babies.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,919 times
Back to the Original Poster's question,"moderately safe" and "Gulfton" are not words I would usually use in the same sentence. Get an apartment locator or realtor to help you. My assistant lives in the Three Fountains condos at San Felipe and Fountainview. They are getting older but are well kept. The units there are privately owned but rent out for very reasonable rates. Zoned to Briargrove Elementary. They are building a huge HEB next door and Fountainview Cafe and La Vista are across the street.

There can be crime anywhere in Houston, but some areas have more than others. This time of year everyone is a target. Lock your doors and don't leave anything of value visible inside your car.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:12 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,327 times
Gulfton area yields the best "price/quality ratio.

It is THE CHEAPEST neighborhood bordering both Bellaire and Galleria

One day, that area will convert to something like a combination of Bellaire and Galleria.

It not a matter of IF, it is a matter of TIME. I am just surprised that builders do not have the courage to tear down whatever out there. It is not even 1 mile between Bellaire and Galleria, this is funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston