Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:21 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I didn't say there was no need for government, I stated why so much dependency. The services the city or government provides does add to the quality of life for their residents, as far as Houston is concern, I think the services they provide are very good.
Well I'm talking about things beyond the basics. NYC and LA have city governments that wield considerable power. They're not just the administrative arm of the major industries there.

By quality of life I meant creating more Discovery Greens, more public investing on the arts, more investment in higher education or something, better public transit etc.

Have you ever been to another major city and seen the difference? My very first time moving to another city was when I moved to Boston for college and was floored that i actually had the right to access so many services from the local and state government. No body there thought it was "big government" or "dependency".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I don't think anyone really wants to give anyone more money! Certainly not me. I think that the potential of Houston is a very good realization. So, basically, you're in favor of taxing individuals more? We need more funds, but question is where from?
Its not popular, but yes, I think Texans/Houstonians can pay a little more in taxes. The problem with taxing businesses are 1) the businesses can get up and move somewhere else 2) the businesses will pass along their increase costs to their consumers/employees. If individuals either way have to pay, I rather be it across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well I'm talking about things beyond the basics. NYC and LA have city governments that wield considerable power. They're not just the administrative arm of the major industries there.

By quality of life I meant creating more Discovery Greens, more public investing on the arts, more investment in higher education or something, better public transit etc.

Have you ever been to another major city and seen the difference? My very first time moving to another city was when I moved to Boston for college and was floored that i actually had the right to access so many services from the local and state government. No body there thought it was "big government" or "dependency".
As far as basic services go, I do think Houston does a good job. Some of the quality of life ideas you're suggesting is what I was referring to when I posted, why the dependency. Houston does have a long ways to go compared to other major cities as far amenities for the public, but those major cities also have been around longer. First and foremost, we need a better public transit system.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Its not popular, but yes, I think Texans/Houstonians can pay a little more in taxes. The problem with taxing businesses are 1) the businesses can get up and move somewhere else 2) the businesses will pass along their increase costs to their consumers/employees. If individuals either way have to pay, I rather be it across the board.

As far as basic services go, I do think Houston does a good job. Some of the quality of life ideas you're suggesting is what I was referring to when I posted, why the dependency. Houston does have a long ways to go compared to other major cities as far amenities for the public, but those major cities also have been around longer. First and foremost, we need a better public transit system.
Any politician that even suggest raising taxes will not be elected. It might, or might not, be the right thing to do, but people won't even consider it.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:30 AM

9 posts, read 9,950 times
Hi! Is it true, that Houston has lowest housing rent prices among big us cities?

Old 11-29-2013, 03:21 PM

37 posts, read 48,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetalsh View Post
Hi! Is it true, that Houston has lowest housing rent prices among big us cities?
Yes, the average is lower in large part due to the lack of zoning laws. You can't pretend your property is in an upscale neighborhood with you can find all of the good and the bad within a block or two in any direction.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:56 PM

20 posts, read 35,462 times
I have been spending time in Houston, unfortunately due to a sick relative.

Good news is that Methodist has done a WONDERFUL job of taking care of him, and the time I have spent out in Houston has been great.

Coming from SC, I find the people in Houston to be very friendly, classy but without the snob factor, and the areas I have been in I find to be great when it comes to shopping, dining, people watching, and just the "it" factor.

But good lord...the roads there...TERRIBLE! For such an upscale city with money....the roads are horrendous. Seeing Ferraris and BMW's bouncing around on the roads...well, I expected better.

Outside of the roads, definitely up and coming IMO!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Outside of the roads, definitely up and coming IMO!
Roads, public buildings, sidewalks, freeways, public transit, local services, etc.

The growth has been amazing in the private sector, but at the expense of the public sector.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 AM

433 posts, read 660,564 times
I would suggest going to the East End near 2nd ward for people complaining about the local art scene. Go to some studios and ask for event recommendations or whatever.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 AM

9 posts, read 9,950 times
How much is avarage price of rent 1 br apartment or house in Houston and in Charlotte? Where easier to find rent for newcomer?

Last edited by Vetalsh; 12-03-2013 at 04:04 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 AM

238 posts, read 696,364 times
As of now, $1000-1200 for a 1 br inside the loop, maybe a little less outside of the loop, depends on what area. Rents seem to be rising, though.

When I moved here in early 2008, I found a 1 br going for $750, and that was just down the street from River Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston