Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 PM

675 posts, read 1,452,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I stand corrected. Yes, that is quite a large chunk of development there (West of Barker Cypress, South of Clay). That area has always confused me, because it is so massive. Also, it has always been hard to get a gauge on where boundaries are in the Houston suburbs, because so much of it is unincorporated county land. It's not like the DFW metroplex, where all the suburbs are their own incorporated cities with well-defined boundaries.

So, what are they calling all that developed area North of Clay, West of Hwy 6, and South of 290, if Cypress isn't claiming it?
NoKaSoCy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 17,171 times
I live in that area, and we consider it Cypress. I have literally never heard anyone refer to this area as Katy.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:57 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,755,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
"North Katy" has typically been described to me by various people as everything west of Barker Cypress. So that would include much more than just Katy proper.
Various people have it wrong, just google Katy city limits.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 PM

498 posts, read 837,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Various people have it wrong, just google Katy city limits.
I was referring to what people (whom I've encountered) consider greater Katy, north of I-10 - not Katy proper.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 PM

285 posts, read 567,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
So, what are they calling all that developed area North of Clay, West of Hwy 6, and South of 290, if Cypress isn't claiming it?
I think that area is generally referred to as Cypress. It is all part of Cy-Fair ISD. Over 175,000 people live in that area west of 6, north of Clay, east of Fry and south of 290.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:34 AM

967 posts, read 2,608,890 times
http://www.katyisd.org/dept/communic...c%20Update.pdf

Will it be that way for long? The next big growth boom will be in NW Katy ISD. Some of those new houses are likely to be "high class"

Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,262,881 times
Default Older homes are smaller...

The era of McMansions is upon us, most of the area north of I-10 was built long before the trend, so the houses are naturally not as expensive, so people with less money, which usually goes with less affluence, live there. Many of the core areas are still called 'Wards', and those have been there since the 30's and 40's, like the homes west of Avenue D in the Bartlett neighborhood. Lots of these homes were the homes of farm hands and ranchers.

Meanwhile much of the development south of I10 wad made on former rice fields, an empty canvas if you will, which allowed for more planned neighborhoods. Developers saw what worked and what did not work in the older neighborhoods. You can see this evidence in the homes which are older, and closer to I10. They were nicer than those north of I10, and as the years went by and designs changes, the homes got bigger, and more expensive.

Being out of the city limits also meant that developers could do many things without having to worry about codes. In fact, you can see the evidence of city codes in the recent construction of what was to be the high end Cane Island development where the old Green Meadows golf course was in Katy off of Avenue D. The developers were originally going to create a new planned community with huge homes, but being in the city limits of Katy, the city did not allow variances to the developer to build large lots. Instead the city mandated a small lot so there would be more density (higher density = more taxes = more revenue). In the end, the developers pulled out and sold to the current developers who are building the new homes on what would be considered 'tiny' lots in Katy.

Developers often get accused of making homes smaller to fit more houses to make more money. That is simply BS, a few homes will not make a developer rich. It is more often code restrictions that dictate how large the lot can be, most homeowners never get involved with city code, so have this dumb idea in their heads.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
The era of McMansions is upon us, most of the area north of I-10 was built long before the trend, so the houses are naturally not as expensive, so people with less money, which usually goes with less affluence, live there. Many of the core areas are still called 'Wards', and those have been there since the 30's and 40's, like the homes west of Avenue D in the Bartlett neighborhood. Lots of these homes were the homes of farm hands and ranchers.

Meanwhile much of the development south of I10 wad made on former rice fields, an empty canvas if you will, which allowed for more planned neighborhoods. Developers saw what worked and what did not work in the older neighborhoods. You can see this evidence in the homes which are older, and closer to I10. They were nicer than those north of I10, and as the years went by and designs changes, the homes got bigger, and more expensive.

Being out of the city limits also meant that developers could do many things without having to worry about codes. In fact, you can see the evidence of city codes in the recent construction of what was to be the high end Cane Island development where the old Green Meadows golf course was in Katy off of Avenue D. The developers were originally going to create a new planned community with huge homes, but being in the city limits of Katy, the city did not allow variances to the developer to build large lots. Instead the city mandated a small lot so there would be more density (higher density = more taxes = more revenue). In the end, the developers pulled out and sold to the current developers who are building the new homes on what would be considered 'tiny' lots in Katy.

Developers often get accused of making homes smaller to fit more houses to make more money. That is simply BS, a few homes will not make a developer rich. It is more often code restrictions that dictate how large the lot can be, most homeowners never get involved with city code, so have this dumb idea in their heads.
The city of Katy has a minimum lot code of 60ft. It wasn't until the city counsel voted to allow the Cane island development to squeeze in 50ft. lots for developers to give the green light. I think you have it backwards, the city is not trying to generate taxes though density lol

Yes developers are in it to make money, smaller lots mean more homes. Very simple

Green Meadows was stated to have homes from the 200k, but when the developers didn't get the option to build on smaller lots, they raised the price starting from the 380k. Nothing in Green meadows will be smaller than 65ft. Lots. Developers will do whatever they can to maximize their profits.

Last but not least, building outside of city limits means builders can bypass strict building codes, therefore the homes will be cheaper in quality and not as well built vs homes in city limits. If you have a chance, stop by and talk to the construction supers in Green Meadows.

Last edited by usc619; 11-23-2013 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
No, Katy proper is west of Katy/Ft. Bend rd., everything east of it is unincorporated county land. Pretty much everything south of Clay Rd.(not including Katy Proper) is considered "Katy area ", for some reason Cypress doesn't aknowledge north of Clay rd. as "Cypress area" even though Cy-Fair ISD serves everything north of Clay.

Btw Most of everything south of I10 (except Katy mills and WoodCreek) is "Katy area"
That because they still use "Katy, TX" for the mailing address all the way up to Little York.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
That because they still use "Katy, TX" for the mailing address all the way up to Little York.
I thought about that, but wasn't sure. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston