Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,262,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
The city of Katy has a minimum lot code of 60ft. It wasn't until the city counsel voted to allow the Cane island development to squeeze in 50ft. lots for developers to give the green light. I think you have it backwards, the city is not trying to generate taxes though density lol

Yes developers are in it to make money, smaller lots mean more homes. Very simple

Green Meadows was stated to have homes from the 200k, but when the developers didn't get the option to build on smaller lots, they raised the price starting from the 380k. Nothing in Green meadows will be smaller than 65ft. Lots. Developers will do whatever they can to maximize their profits.

Last but not least, building outside of city limits means builders can bypass strict building codes, therefore the homes will be cheaper in quality and not as well built vs homes in city limits. If you have a chance, stop by and talk to the construction supers in Green Meadows.
I read an article about the lot size somewhere, I will try to look for it and post if I find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,079 times
Default The North/South of I-10 Rule

This rule does not only apply to Katy. If you get in your car in Downtown Houston and drive out west on I-10 all the way from Downtown out to Brookshire which is a stretch of about 30+ miles. For this entire stretch the south side of the I-10 has always been the better side. The is just the way the Houston area has formed since it's inception. This idea may have been formed when the Allen family decided to settle on the South side of the Buffalo Bayou and west of what was then a flood plain which was eventually made into the Port of Houston.

Last edited by jd433; 11-23-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,755,726 times
Here ya go...The current City of Katy code establishes the single-family minimum lot sizes in terms of total square feet and of building setbacks between houses and from the streets. The numbers are currently at lot sizes of 75’ wide by 115’ deep with 15 feet between homes.
Katy City Council takes up Cane Island zoning request | Covering Katy

So I stand corrected, it's 75ft minimum not 60ft lol

Other new developments, such as The Falls of Green Meadow are building minimum lots slightly larger than the current code. The terms are defined in the city code as:

Old 11-23-2013, 08:28 AM

498 posts, read 837,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
The era of McMansions is upon us, most of the area north of I-10 was built long before the trend, so the houses are naturally not as expensive, so people with less money, which usually goes with less affluence, live there. Many of the core areas are still called 'Wards', and those have been there since the 30's and 40's, like the homes west of Avenue D in the Bartlett neighborhood. Lots of these homes were the homes of farm hands and ranchers.
Have you been on HAR lately? Katy proper north of I-10 is "hot, hot, hot." Home prices are as elevated as they have ever been, and still continuing to rise.

Quote:
Being out of the city limits also meant that developers could do many things without having to worry about codes. In fact, you can see the evidence of city codes in the recent construction of what was to be the high end Cane Island development where the old Green Meadows golf course was in Katy off of Avenue D. The developers were originally going to create a new planned community with huge homes, but being in the city limits of Katy, the city did not allow variances to the developer to build large lots. Instead the city mandated a small lot so there would be more density (higher density = more taxes = more revenue). In the end, the developers pulled out and sold to the current developers who are building the new homes on what would be considered 'tiny' lots in Katy.
You sure about this? I was under the impression that the development company wanted to build more homes on smaller lots and even sought a variance to so from the city of Katy for the front half of the development that was inside the city limits of Katy. The requirements for the city were 7.5' setbacks on 55' lots. The developer wanted 5' setbacks on 50' lots.

Source: Developer proposes master-planned community with up to 2,000 homes in Katy - Houston Chronicle

Old 11-23-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Have you been on HAR lately? Katy proper north of I-10 is "hot, hot, hot." Home prices are as elevated as they have ever been, and still continuing to rise.

You sure about this? I was under the impression that the development company wanted to build more homes on smaller lots and even sought a variance to so from the city of Katy for the front half of the development that was inside the city limits of Katy. The requirements for the city were 7.5' setbacks on 55' lots. The developer wanted 5' setbacks on 50' lots.

Source: Developer proposes master-planned community with up to 2,000 homes in Katy - Houston Chronicle
The moronicle had it wrong, the minimum was not 55ft., it was much larger. Yes the market in Katy proper is very hot, you notice how hard it is to find nice resales in the city limits? Sort of like Green Trails, they don't stay on the market long.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:48 AM

498 posts, read 837,231 times
Quote:
The moronicle had it wrong, the minimum was not 55ft., it was much larger. Yes the market in Katy proper is very hot, you notice how hard it is to find nice resales in the city limits? Sort of like Green Trails, they don't stay on the market long.
Agree on all accounts. I canceled my barnicle subscription years ago. I was actually looking for the article you linked to, but found that one first.

Either way, what was the final result? What agreement did the CoK and Rise Dev. come to?

Old 11-23-2013, 08:49 AM

35 posts, read 69,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
That because they still use "Katy, TX" for the mailing address all the way up to Little York.
The Katy mailing address actually extends up to everything south of FM529 and west of Barker Cypress - although that eastern border does meander a bit.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Agree on all accounts. I canceled my barnicle subscription years ago. I was actually looking for the article you linked to, but found that one first.

Either way, what was the final result? What agreement did the CoK and Rise Dev. come to?
They passed it and it really pissed off some land owners/developers because they've been playing by the rules all of these years.
Someone as well as the cane island folks made out on this deal lol

I talked to one builder (I'll leave nameless) and he was really pissed.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,262,881 times
Default Found it... sort of.

Quote:
The city of Katy has a minimum lot code of 60ft. It wasn't until the city counsel voted to allow the Cane island development to squeeze in 50ft. lots for developers to give the green light. I think you have it backwards, the city is not trying to generate taxes though density lol

Yes developers are in it to make money, smaller lots mean more homes. Very simple

Green Meadows was stated to have homes from the 200k, but when the developers didn't get the option to build on smaller lots, they raised the price starting from the 380k. Nothing in Green meadows will be smaller than 65ft. Lots. Developers will do whatever they can to maximize their profits.

Last but not least, building outside of city limits means builders can bypass strict building codes, therefore the homes will be cheaper in quality and not as well built vs homes in city limits. If you have a chance, stop by and talk to the construction supers in Green Meadows.
Okay, I did not read it, rather my sister-in-law knows the owner(s) of the Woodcreek Reserve, it was my wife who told me about it. The owners of Woodcreek Reserve originally owned the Cane Island property. The owner was not allowed to build huge homes, the city did not want to grant variances for what was to be a master planned community, so the owner(s) sold it. The current owners do want to make the lots smaller.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
When ever two people live in an area, one has a better than thou attitude so it always starts as soon as people move in to any area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston