Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM

509 posts, read 734,567 times

Advertisements

As previously noted, south of I-10 you have several well designed master planned communities. North of I-10 you have a collection of smaller, basic subdivisions that lack comparable amenities and planning. Once those two trends hit critical mass, there was no going back because the character of the schools were set. People are not going to build expensive homes in any significant number north of I-10 because the public schools serving that area are a big step down from the schools serving the area south of I-10. Just look at Cinco Ranch, Taylor and Seven Lakes compared to Morton Ranch and Mayde Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,262,881 times
Default Sports...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
As previously noted, south of I-10 you have several well designed master planned communities. North of I-10 you have a collection of smaller, basic subdivisions that lack comparable amenities and planning. Once those two trends hit critical mass, there was no going back because the character of the schools were set. People are not going to build expensive homes in any significant number north of I-10 because the public schools serving that area are a big step down from the schools serving the area south of I-10. Just look at Cinco Ranch, Taylor and Seven Lakes compared to Morton Ranch and Mayde Creek.
It depends, and I know that first hand because my wife's aunt (a realtor) wanted us to rent our Katy home to a family who live in Seven Meadows, but want their two sons to attend Katy High. You might have the same thought as I... why not rent an apartment? Not sure why, but they had to have a house. We are selling, so we did not rent it to them.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:34 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,655 times
Why is everyone always so afraid to state the obvious? North of I-10 has many small non-master planned communities of low priced homes, with many lower income residents...this combination leads to more yards looking crappy, homes not being well taken care of, more punk kids, more crime, and crappier schools.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Why is everyone always so afraid to state the obvious? North of I-10 has many small non-master planned communities of low priced homes, with many lower income residents...this combination leads to more yards looking crappy, homes not being well taken care of, more punk kids, more crime, and crappier schools.
I beg to differ. there are more punk (and spoiled) kids south of the freeway than north. My friends once got sprayed with paintball guns by idiot kids on South Fry. The spoiled kids get into a whole bunch of crap. all the egging and throwing yogurt at joggers. As far as the schools go, they aren't bad north of the freeway. They just don't have th standardized test scores that the schools south of the freeway start preparing for in august. Besides, many neighborhoods, like the Williamsburg neighborhoods, are well kept and nice. Look for neighborhoods near the new Grand Parkway to be nicer and larger.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,262,881 times
Default A wide brush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
That's a little too wide of a brush I think. I bet many of our parents lived in lower income neighborhoods that lead 'to more yards looking crappy, homes not being well taken care of, more punk kids, more crime, and crappier schools'. How did you turn out? In other words, it's all relative. Do you think the kids of River Oaks see Cinco as great as their 'hood?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,655 times
Always people that try to fight the obvious. Where do you think more crime occurs In ghetto's and slums, or rich affluent areas? Cmon guys....the answer is so freakin' obvious.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 PM

675 posts, read 1,452,689 times
Fact of the matter is that there are more "basic starter homes" (i.e. Pride builders, Postwood, KB Homes,etc..) on the north side. A lot of these homes people rent out to section 8, lower income folks. Then people move out, sometimes selling their homes at a loss (Lakes of Bridgewater, etc) when the neighborhood starts falling apart and are replaced by the "less desirables". The problem, as others have mentioned, is the lack of a strong HOA. These "pocket" neighborhoods don't have as much influence as a Cinco Ranch, Firethorne, etc. Just go to HAR and see which zip codes have more foreclosures. When we came house searching from California, we went to see a neighborhood off of N. Mason rd and did not even make it out of the car when we saw the siding on 3 sides of the homes. South Katy had a much more pleasant vibe and feel to it. It's not all bad, not all people who can't afford a $300k are bad people. It all really starts in the house and how you raise your kids. But with such a big investment, I would not gamble by moving up north. Too much uncertainty exists. Once the grand parkway is opened up, I have a feeling we will see more larger master planned communities to even things out. Just my .02

Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,988,848 times
As a non-Katy dweller I consider North Katy to be from Clay Rd and on down south west of Hwy 6. North of Clay is Cypress and Jersey Village/Houston to me.

Hwy 6 borders it. East of Hwy 6 is Jersey Village on Clay Rd. West is Katy. All the way down to oh Westpark maybe.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,452 times
What kind of residents a neighborhood attracts does depend on the price of the homes. The grand parkway expansion and cane island parkway will bring a lot more people to North Katy. Will these developments make North Katy area more desirable than South Katy? I doubt it, but I think it'll even it up a little more. I10 will be a parking lot after all this, but I choose to live out here so can't really complain about traffic.

IMO, schools are successful or not is dependent on parental involvement. My kids' schools have so many fundraisers a year, at least two a month, guess who's paying for all that? The parents, on top of paying taxes lol. But with all the fundraising schools are able to get more stuff for their students. In the less affluent areas, they can have fundraisers all day long but the parents are not able to donate or spend as much. This goes back to why the schools in North Katy ISD do not perform as well as the South side, hence making the area not as desirable.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,090 times
What kind of successful kids has South Katy produced so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston