Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,755,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Are you implying that to attend Katy High School you must live in a house, and not an apartment?
LOL Reading comprehension is truly a lost art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 07:53 AM

498 posts, read 837,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
LOL Reading comprehension is truly a lost art.
What part of this do you comprehend in such a way to make my question questionable?

Quote:
"why not rent an apartment? Not sure why, but they had to have a house."

Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
It's all relative indeed. I bet my house that nobody in this forum belongs to the top 1% income earners (they are to busy making that next million to bother with useless forums post). To them (1%ers) we are all equally worthless.

To be in the 1percent is only in the 325k+ not millions like a lot of people think

Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
How do you know the kids weren't from some other area, and just driving on South Fry?
Are you kidding me? Do people try to give the north side this benefit of a doubt? Nope....

Old 11-29-2013, 09:18 AM

498 posts, read 837,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Are you kidding me? Do people try to give the north side this benefit of a doubt? Nope....
I would think all would be given the same benefit of the doubt. You said it was kids from south of I-10 so confidently that I was just curious as to how you were able to identify them as such.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:20 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,262,881 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Are you implying that to attend Katy High School you must live in a house, and not an apartment?
I think most people get what I was saying; I don't think you understood. No, I was not implying anything, really.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 AM

705 posts, read 1,259,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Millionaires and Billionaires still look down on you (even if you make 400K per year and live in Katy) and me (I am not even close to 400K) so.....that was my point....again, it's all relative.

I live in Katy by choice, and I know for a fact there are several 1%s in Katy. Where you live isn't relative to how much money you make or have. I'm sure billionaires look down on millionaires, millionaires look down on the upper middle, upper middle look down on middle, middle look down on poor and so on, but you made a bold bet on your house stating there are no 1%s on this forum

Old 12-04-2013, 12:59 PM

35 posts, read 31,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I see the houses in North Katy are cheaper...even the newer developments don't feature the high end builders

South Katy has all the higher end builders and it looks like they "tried" to zone it compared to the anything goes mentality in North Katy

"Class Thing" is a part of capitalism. The general "Upper middle class areas of houston are Galleria, Sugarland, and Downtown, also South Katy, Grandpark way 99 (Cinco Ranch). The Poor or lower middle class parts are anyplace in Houst that i basically did not list. (Generally)

Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
I live in Katy by choice, and I know for a fact there are several 1%s in Katy. Where you live isn't relative to how much money you make or have. I'm sure billionaires look down on millionaires, millionaires look down on the upper middle, upper middle look down on middle, middle look down on poor and so on, but you made a bold bet on your house stating there are no 1%s on this forum
It is all relative. But sometimes that relativity can be quite laughable which is why the phenomena of the 50-100k millionaire is such a big thing in Texas. I don't think it's quite as believable to see billionaires make fun of millionaires as much as it is more common to see upper middle class people make fun of the lower middle to working poor. In fact, growing up in an upper middle class family in Katy I can guarantee you the most vocal against any initiatives to help out the poor are upper middle class people; small business owners, managerial types and young professionals. They're more reactionary and elitist than millionaires and billionaires. I would soon see an engineer living in Eldridge read Ayn Rand before a millionaire inside the loop.

I just remember growing up in Katy and everyone thinking that my dad was "rich". I guess in Texas making over 100k is considered "rich".

Old 12-04-2013, 02:11 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It is all relative. But sometimes that relativity can be quite laughable which is why the phenomena of the 50-100k millionaire is such a big thing in Texas. I don't think it's quite as believable to see billionaires make fun of millionaires as much as it is more common to see upper middle class people make fun of the lower middle to working poor. In fact, growing up in an upper middle class family in Katy I can guarantee you the most vocal against any initiatives to help out the poor are upper middle class people; small business owners, managerial types and young professionals. They're more reactionary and elitist than millionaires and billionaires. I would soon see an engineer living in Eldridge read Ayn Rand before a millionaire inside the loop.

I just remember growing up in Katy and everyone thinking that my dad was "rich". I guess in Texas making over 100k is considered "rich".

Really? Maybe it was just you and your family having that attitude and/or not helping out. I know plenty that do a lot of volunteer work, whether thru church, schools, work, on their own. I also know plenty that donate money on a regular basis. Some people rather help with their time and their money on worthwhile causes. Most of the groups that you list, are the ones that worked their tails off to get where they are. People also think anyone driving around in a bmw is "rich".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston