Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:51 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times

Advertisements

Houston is a very diverse city with many people from all over the world in it. There are many different communities within the city. Houston is not like a typical southern stereotype at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 02:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
The typical southern stereotype doesn't exist anymore, especially in its southern cities. We maybe be a little more hospitable, but I see that is on the wane too. You have to go way up into the mountains or the outerbanks to find anything purely southern anymore. And even that is fast dissappearing.
Houston is extremely diverse. People are moving here for employment from everywhere.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:39 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
What is the cultural diversity like in the Houston (and surrounding suburbs?). We are looking at a possible move and to be honest with you, my husband and I (an east coaster and an Eastern European) have some negative assumptions that are attached to Texas, but are trying to break

I'm sure there are blacks, whites, latinos like everywhere else, but are there jews, muslims and people of other cultural backgrounds? Or are they a vast minority?
Sorry for my ignorance, but it is George Bush's home state, and I can't see us fitting in in a conservative republican Christian state, which is what many perceive Texas as being. My intention is not to offend everyone, however I am interested in how people living in Texas, particularly Houston area, perceive their state.
Houston is the most diverse city in Texas and arguable the South (Miami has a lot of residents from South America, but so does Houston, so I don't know).

And you don't have to be in Southwest Houston to see all of the diversity. There is a fairly large Korea Town in West Houston north of I-10 off of Gessner (near Memorial City Mall). There is a strong Vietnamese influence in North Houston along Veterans, too.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:49 PM

107 posts, read 402,578 times
The other thing that a lot of Northerners don't get about the South is that most of the major cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami and Nashville are recent additions to the "large" city category.

In 1950, NYC had over 7.5 million people. The Miami area had around 250,000. Buffalo, Rochester and Newark were bigger than Miami. Houston had around 600,00 in the metro area. Baltimore, Pittsburgh and St. Louis were bigger than Houston.

A lot has changed in the past 50 (let alone 20) years.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post
The other thing that a lot of Northerners don't get about the South is that most of the major cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami and Nashville are recent additions to the "large" city category.

In 1950, NYC had over 7.5 million people. The Miami area had around 250,000. Buffalo, Rochester and Newark were bigger than Miami. Houston had around 600,00 in the metro area. Baltimore, Pittsburgh and St. Louis were bigger than Houston.

A lot has changed in the past 50 (let alone 20) years.
True, but I would leave out San Antonio, Charlotte, and Nashville.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
And you don't have to be in Southwest Houston to see all of the diversity. There is a fairly large Korea Town in West Houston north of I-10 off of Gessner (near Memorial City Mall). There is a strong Vietnamese influence in North Houston along Veterans, too.

Wanted to also say the Clear Lake area is fairly 'diverse' in a professional, world-class sort of way, not 3rd world ghetto like so many other parts of Houston (SW esp). This is mostly a bedroom community for age 30+ engineers, scientists, and doctors. The mix in this neighborhood is Whites, Asians (including East Indians), and Arabic/Middle Easterners (some Muslim)... in that order pretty much. There are some Hispanics here but I notice most are South American.

This describes what I see in the Houston city limits of Clear Lake. The Friendswood and League City parts are about 85-90% White, and therefore not "diverse" according to some people.

The #'s are from wikipedia (2000 census).

Old 12-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Wanted to also say the Clear Lake area is fairly 'diverse' in a professional, world-class sort of way, not 3rd world ghetto like so many other parts of Houston (SW esp). This is mostly a bedroom community for age 30+ engineers, scientists, and doctors. The mix in this neighborhood is Whites, Asians (including East Indians), and Arabic/Middle Easterners (some Muslim)... in that order pretty much. There are some Hispanics here but I notice most are South American.

This describes what I see in the Houston city limits of Clear Lake. The Friendswood and League City parts are about 85-90% White, and therefore not "diverse" according to some people.

The #'s are from wikipedia (2000 census).
Not all of SW Houston is ghetto like you are describing. Some of it is actually pretty nice, especially closer to Highway 6 and "The Parkway" area.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Not all of SW Houston is ghetto like you are describing. Some of it is actually pretty nice, especially closer to Highway 6 and "The Parkway" area.

Yeah you're right, but honestly your example is the exception, not the rule (as far as SW goes anyway). I grew up there in the Hwy 6/Bissonnet area. Those neighborhoods west of Hwy 6 like Providence and Waterford are still nice. But starting from Hwy 6 going east down the "3 B's" (Bissonnet, Beechnut, Bellaire) it's a different world, especially compared to 10-15 years ago.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:53 PM

Yeah, the three B's is not really aesthetically pleasing. There are still some nice neighborhoods with big homes though.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:19 AM

687 posts, read 2,127,745 times
Houston is one of the most racially/ethnically diverse cities in the U.S. This means great restaurants, lots of opportunities to meet people from all walks of life, lots of ideas/perspectives. However, a person's take away experiences depend on their personal level of receptivitity and openness to all this diversity. You can choose to ignore it all, and live in your cocoon, or your can be adventurous and check things out. We've lived in Houston for 30+ years, and appreciate the opportunities I've been given, and the people I've met here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston