Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 AM

686 posts, read 1,166,879 times

Advertisements

Hate to disappoint some folks but it doesn't look like the Astrodome is going to be torn down anytime soon IF at all! I for one welcome this news. The County Commissioner said PRIVATE plans are NOW being considered and that the Dome will likely still be standing until after the 2017 Superbowl.

Quote:
Dome fate moves further into future - Houston Chronicle

A definitive fate for the iconic Astrodome moved further into the future Tuesday when a key Harris County commissioner said he does not think anything more needs to be done to the vacant structure prior to the 2017 Super Bowl at Reliant Stadium.
New Astrodome Proposal Claims To Have Financial Support
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 AM

99 posts, read 151,216 times
Hopefully someone comes up with a creative idea for the Dome that does not involve the words "parking" and "lot".

Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 AM

6,283 posts, read 7,488,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Hate to disappoint some folks but it doesn't look like the Astrodome is going to be torn down anytime soon IF at all! I for one welcome this news. The County Commissioner said PRIVATE plans are NOW being considered and that the Dome will likely still be standing until after the 2017 Superbowl.

New Astrodome Proposal Claims To Have Financial Support
Yes I read this in the Chronicle too. In fact the "tear the rattrap down" rhetoric pretty much died as soon as the vote was in. I guess the rhetoric was more tactical in nature.

On another note: I suspect the collapse of the Texans may have opened some eyes as to the spiritual connection the Dome has to Houston. By hopefully taking the razing of the Dome off the table the "Curse of the Dome" will be lifted, and the Texans and ZRodeo can once again return to being good neighbors.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 AM

686 posts, read 1,166,879 times
I clearly understand the "financial" aspects of if we can't afford it then maybe it should be torn down. However, I am amazed at the amount of national and even international attention the dome has gotten as an Iconic Architectural structure. If outsiders can see it, why can't many here see it? I'm convinced that some form of a public private partnership can raise enough dough to save it in a useful manner.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 AM

693 posts, read 1,106,901 times
More waste by the County. The rat trap should still be torn down but the greedy commissioners still smell a dollar to be made.

Again, this all goes back to emotions. It astounds me (as someone that attended Oilers, Astros, HLSR and even some UH games) that people are so wrapped up in a rat infested structure that has clearly outlived its purpose.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 AM

18,117 posts, read 25,254,857 times
Waste is letting it sit empty when it could have been given to Houston Dynamo and University of Houston and made money from them.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 AM

6,283 posts, read 7,488,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
More waste by the County. The rat trap should still be torn down but the greedy commissioners still smell a dollar to be made.

Again, this all goes back to emotions. It astounds me (as someone that attended Oilers, Astros, HLSR and even some UH games) that people are so wrapped up in a rat infested structure that has clearly outlived its purpose.
Evidently the County Commissioners are not foolish enough to heed your advise. The Superbowl deadline has been suspended, the Dome is still there.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM

799 posts, read 2,440,164 times
Yeah, thats rich.

Some herbalife pyramid scheme guy is going to raise 100m in 120 days.

Ill hold my breath.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,213,169 times
i TOLD YOU COUNTY COMMISSIONERS ARE THE MAFIA HERE...THE LONGER THE DOME STAYS THE MORE THEY GET PAID IN ALL SORTS OF WAY

Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 PM

693 posts, read 1,106,901 times
From the linked article:
Quote:
Resident Brendan Cooney came before Judge Emmett and commissioners with his simple idea.
"My hope is to convert it into a place where Houstonians can walk long distances; they can ride their bikes; they can jog, as well as be out of the elements and all dangers of doing all those activities in the city."
His presentation before the court did not include an artist's rendering of his proposal. Cooney's idea is one of many over the last few years that have never gained traction, but he claims he's managed to generate interest from private investors willing to fund it.
LMFAO! Yes, Mr. Cooney, please wake me up when you secure hundreds of millions of dollars to turn the Ratstrodome into a spiral of walking and biking trails. This idea has more fail in it than the parking garage idea or the covered pavilion idea.

The only idea this is not a bigger FAIL than is dumping $217 million into the Ratstrodome to turn it into a convention center.

The commissioners (and the other Ratstrodome sycophants here) are idiots.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston