Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,472 times

Advertisements

I bought a generator back in june of 2012 because of it being so hot and humid in wisconsin. I would run it with a load for at least 10 to 15 minutes a month or every other month.
The only time I ever used it was when the power went out on a clear early evening, for like almost an hour on a clear early evening on august 25th 2013 in my city. It ran my 2 window air conditioners, and lights and other necessities on a 5000 watt portable generator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
Not worth it, IMO. I lived in northwest Florida for 15 years, so I've been through quite a few storms. Been without power for over a week. No big deal. If I did buy one though, I'd probably get one of the small Honda EU2000i models. Something that is very quiet, efficient, and can power your fridge, some floor fans, and charge your cell phones. That's all you need.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
A lot of people don't think it's worth it, until they need it.

I think of a generator as power insurance. Just because I have medical insurance, doesn't mean I want to use it. The same is true with my generator.

So, it essentially comes down to whether or not you want to pay between $500 and $X to have power insurance. A lot of people say, "Hurricanes, ice storms and such are fairly rare, so I'll just live without power if that happens."

Of course, once the power is having an extended outage, you can't find a generator to purchase within 300 miles. I knew people calling stores in Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio and Austin following Ike, and there were none to be purchased. Apparently, the people who didn't buy "insurance" ahead of time went scrambling after it following the storm.

We can all do without power for a few days, the question is, once the power is out, at that point, would you be willing to pay $500 to have basic power for a week?

Old 11-16-2018, 05:55 PM

344 posts, read 346,611 times
Generators are a waste of money, time and maintenance if you don't have a good reason, like a dialysis machine or something requiring climate control (cigars, wine, a piano). What you pay for a generator will fund a month at the Embassy Suites (suite with a kitchen and free breakfast and dinner $220/night = 36 nights for $8000). That should be enough for 20 years of hurricanes, maybe more.

Hurricanes also bring rain, so if you get flooded at the same time you can't use your generator since most of you would install it outside at ground level.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
Generators are a waste of money, time and maintenance if you don't have a good reason, like a dialysis machine or something requiring climate control (cigars, wine, a piano). What you pay for a generator will fund a month at the Embassy Suites (suite with a kitchen and free breakfast and dinner $220/night = 36 nights for $8000). That should be enough for 20 years of hurricanes, maybe more.

Hurricanes also bring rain, so if you get flooded at the same time you can't use your generator since most of you would install it outside at ground level.
Broad generalization. They are a convenience. Only you can put a price on that, so "waste of money" is subjective.

When a hurricane hits, hotels & suites are as likely to be booked as not. And they lose power too. But if you're safe & sound at home with your generator running...

While installed at ground level, they are usually installed on a pad that raises them a few inches. Mine was. That's enough to keep them out of 99% of rains. And when it truly floods, you don't need electricity or a generator, you need to evacuate.

I had a generator installed after Ike. We lost electricity about 3-4 times a year, usually from 10 minutes to 4 hours. Although once (just last year) for about 10 hours. We were in an older part of town, the electric infrastructure was old and failing, and lots of trees to cause problems. It's a real PITA when electricity goes out, because you don't know how long it will last, should you protect your food, should you move to a hotel, should you... whatever.

Are they an extravagance for many people? Sure. But if you can afford one, I wouldn't call it a waste of money.

Nice five year thread bump!

Old 11-23-2018, 05:41 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post

I know this is a 5 year old thread bump but most people don't buy backup generators to chill wine or a piano, most people have generators to allow them to keep their homes operating after a storm or some other type of power outage. You also don't need an $8,000 generator to run a window AC unit, a fridge and some lights in a normal home, you can do that for about 1/10th that cost or less. Also, anyone who is spending the cash on an installed backup generator is going to have it installed at least at the same level as their home's foundation, therefore flooding isn't going to kill the generator before it gets in the home. That means you can still run sump pumps, septic systems and water wells to keep a property running without grid power.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:43 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Are they an extravagance for many people? Sure. But if you can afford one, I wouldn't call it a waste of money.
Yep and In our area an installed backup generator will add more value per dollar spent than something like a a pool.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:05 AM

342 posts, read 803,172 times
Generators are useful to pump air to tires and have portable light for outside working. It is very handy, we don't have to worry about what if, only if gas wasn't available for the generator. I bought mine used, no regret- 100% satisfactory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston