Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 636,759 times

Advertisements

What is the definition of ' real Houston' ? Is it the fact that it keeps repeated itself every couple of miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 03:38 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
What is the definition of ' real Houston' ? Is it the fact that it keeps repeated itself every couple of miles?
Yes, because the Montrose is SO much like Acres Homes, which in turn is SO much like Meyerland, which in turn is SO much like Eastwood, which in turn is SO much like Uptown-Galleria, which in turn is SO much like Kashmere Gardens, which in turn is SO much like Binz, and....

Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
The burbs and Houston are way. I have friends that grew up in the burbs. They never ventured into the city. Most of my friends that move to the burbs never come visit in the city. The burbs are definitely not Houston. The people are different and the lifestyles are different. The heart of Houston is inside the loop and just west of the loop. I swear the Galleria should be the real center of the city. In the loopers trash talk the suburbs and the burb people do the same to the city. It is what it is.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
The burbs and Houston are way. I have friends that grew up in the burbs. They never ventured into the city. Most of my friends that move to the burbs never come visit in the city. The burbs are definitely not Houston. The people are different and the lifestyles are different. The heart of Houston is inside the loop and just west of the loop. I swear the Galleria should be the real center of the city. In the loopers trash talk the suburbs and the burb people do the same to the city. It is what it is.
OH GOD NO! That would be absolutely terrible.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
OH GOD NO! That would be absolutely terrible.
It already is, for the most part. The Galleria is situated right between inner loop west and Memorial, which are the most popular areas of the city.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The real Houston is all over including the burbs. But I think what he means to say is that many move here trying to experience the city but rarely venture into the urban core.

I've met people who lived in Katy, Fulshear and Richmond, and they couldn't tell me where even main streets are in the city. They think it's dangerous, dirty and full of questionable people. Some but not all have these really weird misconceptions about the city and therefore just refuse to even venture in there unless it's a baseball game or for a Museum exhibit.

Biggest peeve of mine are all of those snotty Austinites who moved to Austin from the Houston burbs to attend UT. They experience a small city and think it's amazing and bash Houston without ever even have ventured into the inner loop.
I go to UT and yes, I have to agree with you 100%. Good god the ignorance of people from Katy is astounding.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It already is, for the most part. The Galleria is situated right between inner loop west and Memorial, which are the most popular areas of the city.
I get that but I was thinking of it physically replacing downtown. Traffic jams and all.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
But that still doesn't make it the "center of the city". Not by a long shot. It just makes it a very popular area. Downtown always has been, and most likely always will be the true center of Houston. Just look at it on a satellite map. The whole metro moves outward in all directions from downtown.

Downtown may be less "exciting" (open to subjectivity), and has much less retail and residential than Uptown-Galleria, but it's still the center.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
But that still doesn't make it the "center of the city". Not by a long shot. It just makes it a very popular area. Downtown always has been, and most likely always will be the true center of Houston. Just look at it on a satellite map. The whole metro moves outward in all directions from downtown.

Downtown may be less "exciting" (open to subjectivity), and has much less retail and residential than Uptown-Galleria, but it's still the center.
I'll rephrase: the Galleria currently acts as the center of activity. It's the heart of all the hustle and bustle.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I'll rephrase: the Galleria currently acts as the center of activity. It's the heart of all the hustle and bustle.
It sure would be nice to see downtown become not only the center of business and sporting events, but an all-inclusive area of retail and residential living as well. The potential is there, and even though a few half-assed attempts have been made to do this over the years, it really could use a huge boost in that department. I mean, if Dallas and Atlanta can do it with their downtowns, then there's certainly no reason Houston shouldn't be able to.

I know there are plans for "EaDo" in the works, but there are still so many gaps even closer in that would be even better. Not to mention the open areas along the bayou just North of downtown, and the large open swath of land immediately North of I-10 and South of Burnett St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston