Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I know some too who got tired of the Katy to downtown or Med center commute. So they ponied up and bought a townhouse in the loop.
Yep. Some even got tired of other stuff not just the commute. I have a friend, a russian couple and they just wanted to leave their retired roughneck neighbors who thinks foreigners are doing something illegal to be able to afford more than someone who grew up and been working hard in the US. LOL they moved to the Royal oaks area (townhouse i think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM

392 posts, read 998,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I know some too who got tired of the Katy to downtown or Med center commute. So they ponied up and bought a townhouse in the loop.
I did the same, got tired of a Tomball -> Downtown commute real quick and bought 18 months ago.

Now my parents are actually thinking about selling their custom house out in Tomball that they have spent the last decade making uniquely their own and doing the same. (Up until this last year they swore up and down that it would be the last house in their lifetime. Had spent to much time/money/effort getting it the way they wanted to ever start over etc).

Think the knowledge of me being in the office within 10 minutes of walking out my front door when in the same amount of time they have hardly even begun their treks into work wore on them haha.

Only thing holding them back is the outdoor space which they love out in the burbs with their huge patio, outdoor kitchen, pool, hot tub, big screen mounted to the wall and coolers of beer haha.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM

45 posts, read 87,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Can you supply the data you relied on for your first sentence? Not saying you're wrong (I don't know), but it would help in the discussion for us to see the data.
I am a transplant, so I guess I can be considered part of the reason rent is so high. I don't have any numbers, but I am an engineer for an operating company, and when I did my internships and full hire, I noticed that the majority of the graduates were from places like Purdue, MIT, Georgia Tech, Florida A&M, University of Tulsa, etc. Sure, there were people from UofH and from Rice, but they seemed to be a minority. Then again, maybe it is different for other companies.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:22 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Where's all the people that were celebrating "Houston's amazing economic growth"
Tasted good on the way, now that we have digested it, we are gonna start seeing what comes out of this

Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM

99 posts, read 151,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Where's all the people that were celebrating "Houston's amazing economic growth"
Tasted good on the way, now that we have digested it, we are gonna start seeing what comes out of this
I cant digest the traffic on I10 from Katy anymore but started taking the new Metro Line 285. IMO as long as the amenities go hand in hand with the growth, we all will be happy (some prolly more than others). Rent has definitely gone up and we decided to buy a house near Cinco. My wife who is from LA feared that it might be too sparsely populated and might result in us driving to Sugarland or Houston for everything. But gladly with the growth, La Centerra has expanded with World of Beer, two nice Italian restaurants, movie nights on the green space...Also more foot traffic around Cinco/Westheimer has made us not miss the city (although we just have to drive to Gray Street for some hookah).

Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
This is great news for people who were wise enough to invest heavily in Houston area rental properties. My total rental income after expenses has gone from a couple hundred dollars a month (if I was lucky) in 2008 when I purchased my last unit to over $3400 a month so far in 2013. The tenants seem a lot better and willing to take care of the properties than I saw years ago and people in general seem to appreciate a nice, well taken care of location to live while getting transitioned to the city. It's also really nice being able to choose your tenants instead of them choosing you.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:01 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This is great news for people who were wise enough to invest heavily in Houston area rental properties. My total rental income after expenses has gone from a couple hundred dollars a month (if I was lucky) in 2008 when I purchased my last unit to over $3400 a month so far in 2013. The tenants seem a lot better and willing to take care of the properties than I saw years ago and people in general seem to appreciate a nice, well taken care of location to live while getting transitioned to the city. It's also really nice being able to choose your tenants instead of them choosing you.
Yeah I was thinking that the other day, people who own rental properties must be loving this.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:05 PM

99 posts, read 151,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That is very very true. I sold my condo in the SF bay area and wanted to invest in another house. I was encouraged to buy in Phx since it was on an upswing. I saw the houses and the quality of tenants there in Phx over two visits to see my parents. I decided to buy near Westpark/Mason and upset some family friends who were real estate agents. I regret nothing and pocket $600 every month. Any appreciation over time is an added bonus. The folks renting the place have the house cleaner than my own home. The quality of tenants is good in the area. Hope the trend continues and its exciting seeing the transformation of the city.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yeah I was thinking that the other day, people who own rental properties must be loving this.
It's better than I ever dreamed or planned, I wish I had invested even more and bought a few more properties. I also wish I had purchased a few larger properties, if I had something larger than a 3/3 home to offer people I could be making a whole lot more money.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:38 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
So we like renters and apartment dwellers now?! cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston