Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:11 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times

Advertisements

Diversity wise, mostly white, some Hispanic and Asian. You got the trendy, the hipsters, and the young professional crowd. Good mix of music, EDM with some pop. It's probably going to be pretty packed over Christmas break, my only suggestion is to get there before 11 so you can "claim" an area. It can also be hard to find if you dont know what to look for. It's kind of like the bat signal where they shine a light on the building with the word PROOF. I would also suggest valet since I hate walking in mud with heels on and if you have a lady friend with you I'm sure she'll appreciate the valet too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Thank Kiovo. Is there dancing?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Yes there is a dance area, decent size. It's fun until it gets crazy packed. Bouncers in Houston don't seem to care, they just keep letting people (females) in no matter how packed it is.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
I like Hearsay, afterwards you have a choice of urban-upscale bar at OKRA or you can go folksy/divey at La Carafe, both within walking distance of each other and Hearsay. Theres a park across the street with Niko Nikos if you want to go cheap as well.

Warrens Inn is there, never been there though, can't help you much there.

Anything beyond that, hop back in the car.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I like Hearsay, afterwards you have a choice of urban-upscale bar at OKRA or you can go folksy/divey at La Carafe, both within walking distance of each other and Hearsay. Theres a park across the street with Niko Nikos if you want to go cheap as well.

Warrens Inn is there, never been there though, can't help you much there.

Anything beyond that, hop back in the car.
Warren's is one of my favorite bars in Houston. Stiff, cheap drunks with a good jukebox - nothing more.

La Carafe, Okra (not really an upscale bar but is nice), Bad News Bar, Little Dipper, Pastry War, El Big Bad, Goro and Gun, and Char Bar are all worth checking out.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Anyone hear of Big Star Bar? Any of those Heights bars have an Austin feel?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times
I've been to Big Star Bar. I liked it and it's very divey, but not sure if it's good for a date.

If you want something that has more of an Austin feel, check out the bars on the White Oak Strip (intersection of Studewood and White Oak Dr) in the Heights. Start at Little Woodrow's and make your way west along White Oak, there are plenty in the area (plus Fitzgerald's if you want to check out some live music).

Personally, I would recommend checking out the bars at Market Square downtown. There's a number of new ones that you should check out, like El Big Bad (fantastic 2-story older building that, suprise, didn't get torn down and was preserved beautifully). The Pastry War (owned by Anvil) and Little Dipper (owned by Poison) have also made a big splash in the area. Afterwards, take her up to the "secret" Bad News Bar which can only be found by a hidden staircase. Your date would probably love the intimate setting and the delicious cocktails.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Radio,

Instead of dinner and clubbing, how about taking her to a show and then to a lounge/club? Make reservations for Prohibition in the Galleria. It's a speakeasy burlesque show with dinner. Order the Old Fashion (best in town, imo). Rest of the cocktails is just ho hum (Anvil's mixologist is still better). You can then carry the theme to a speakeasy lounge/club...maybe Hugh's Hangar. It has large patio outside and prohibition theme decor inside. Outside won't be too loud as the inside so you can still carry a conversation. If you don't like it, you can just head over to Proof (more douchey imo). The good thing about Houston is all these clubs/lounges do not have cover charges like in LA. Just my suggestion in doing something a little different than just dinner/club.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times
Prohibition will be closing on Dec. 21st and they'll be moving to Market Square downtown. So get there before then! No word yet on when they'll be able to reopen.

And yes, I'm partial to the scenes that don't have bouncers or "dress codes", like Market Square, the Heights, and Montrose. Mid-Main is fun too, if a lot smaller than the other scenes.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM

568 posts, read 901,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I haven't been there yet but I hear Anvil is a great place for drinks.
Anvil sticks out like a sore thumb. My least favorite bar in that area especially when it's packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Anyone hear of Big Star Bar? Any of those Heights bars have an Austin feel?
Big Star Bar is great unless you have a serious cat allergy. Onion Creek has a nice ambiance to it especially for a date but most people know about that place. D&T is my new favorite chill spot and is perfect for a date; they kitchen service is slow from experience. Also the second floor of Grand Prize Bar in Montrose is a good setting for an intimate date.

I don't think there are really that many bars in the Heights that have an Austin vibe to it though.

Last edited by xsatyr; 12-16-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston