Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM

182 posts, read 350,407 times

Advertisements

Everyone will need a PhD in the future. Finish school in your 30s! Delay maturity a whole decade (even more so)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM

56 posts, read 112,457 times
Default Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
The only thing I'm seeing overzealous is most of these parents acting as any rating under an A = doomsday for their kids future lol
Again, it depends on what you're rating is based on... if it's based on test scores then no, I'm not going to insist on A+ rating but if it's based on all of the factors I mentioned earlier... if I'm able, of course I'm going to go for the best. Why wouldn't I?

I always find it odd that so many parents will do all kinds of research on buying their next washer/dryer, fridge, car (any big purchase really) but God forbid a parent do their due diligence and research (yes, sometimes to death) where to send their kids to school. We're then called overzealous.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Kids aren't machines though.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDA View Post
Kids aren't machines though.
Exactly, they're much more important than any machine you will ever purchase so why not treat them as such? Put your time into them just like you would a machine, but obviously, more so.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouMomof2 View Post
Exactly, they're much more important than any machine you will ever purchase so why not treat them as such? Put your time into them just like you would a machine, but obviously, more so.
All I mean is just because you pick the best rated school doesn't mean you are done. You haven't won at anything. It's 18 plus years of work, or however many years you want to calculate start/end with. They can come out rotten anyway even with in the best environment.

But sure looking at odds, this and that, better schools will probably give better results. I'm sure there are diminishing results somewhere in there though regarding all sorts of variables.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
All I mean is just because you pick the best rated school doesn't mean you are done. You haven't won at anything. It's 18 plus years of work, or however many years you want to calculate start/end with. They can come out rotten anyway even with in the best environment.

But sure looking at odds, this and that, better schools will probably give better results. I'm sure there are diminishing results somewhere in there though regarding all sorts of variables.
Agreed.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:09 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Everyone will need a PhD in the future. Finish school in your 30s! Delay maturity a whole decade (even more so)
It's like that with medical school, I heard, but in many other situations getting a PhD may lead to someone being overqualified

Old 05-17-2014, 07:34 AM

28 posts, read 64,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
if your smart, your kid would do better at a school that's perceived as less.....easier to become an honor graduate and you get more opportunities at certain schools perceived as "less"

went to an awards ceremony last night at an HISD school and NASA was awarding kids an opportunity to work with them on an internship
I understand your logic and it makes a lot of sense, especially given the current climate of education in Texas, fueled by the 10% rule. I respectfully disagree however. I believe that the competition is what makes our kids better. I always encourage my kids to take the longest/most difficult road, not to be afraid to compete with anyone. Competition brings out the best in all of us. The more the better.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Do you all not remember being kids? Birds of a feather for high stakes and competitive school. Hope you bent and molded your child just the right way so they dont break, snap, hate you, fail out of lonestar etc. Seen it happen

Most of the kids you all talk about are not ivy league. Who gets into college station first isnt much of an accomplishment and can be done from any school

If the argument is kids in texas have to go private schools with high tutions or compete/be shuffled around amongst top publics just to go to one of several on par state colleges thats a fundamental problem with education in this state. Then in the end it wouldnt matter much because kids in texas couldnt compete with people moving to the state. Seems like itd be best to just work with what you have and parents be involved with their kids more than their school

Last edited by testmo; 05-17-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 11:49 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times
these days I will not forsake my kid 's involvement in outside activities just to maintain academics....not worth it...by the time high school comes you should know what your kid is capable of...I'll take a well-rounded kid anyway over a kid who's pigeon-hold academically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston