Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 7,958 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the military but my time is coming to an end! It's bitter sweet, really. I liked the military but I'm happy to get back into the real world. I have some skills (mostly with computers) but no certificates or college experience to back me up. So, I'm heading back to school.

While in school, I would love to make some extra money! The military gives me something as long as I go to school full time, but I could use some extra income. The first thing that came to mind was bartending: Interacting with people is fun and I'm a busybody, so I think it would be a breeze. I could still go to school and do my hobbies in the day then work at night, part time, a few times a week.

However, I know very little about bartending! And it's been quite a while since I've been in Houston.

Being a big city... could I get paid good being a bartender in Houston?
If anyone works in the restaurant/bar business, would finding a position as a bartender be difficult in Houston?

Thanks! Any advice is welcomed. Especially advice on moving back into Houston as a 20-something year old who's been away for 5 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,699,109 times
I am sure you can get a job somewhere, but if you want to work at a good bar I doubt it. You need to have experience. Even if you are super hot. I have a friend who is insanely hot and she could not get a bartending job at the popular bars. I would shoot for being a server.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,942,777 times
I would second that, at least for the Montrose,midtown, Washington areas. Try to serve at a wing place or burger pub first.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:44 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,489,784 times
Try shot girl. I once knew someone who did this. She would get 200+ per night in tips. You're basically a cheap **** running around serving booze/shots. They walk around the club and sell.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times
You need to be liscenced to be a bartender in texas, and a lot of places want you yo already have experience.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:04 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You need to be liscenced to be a bartender in texas, and a lot of places want you yo already have experience.
When did Texas start requiring a license? I tended bar a few times, back in the day, and we just had to take that TBAC (or whatever those letters are, lol) "server" course (can't think of the name) which wait staff also took. It's the one that tells you the punishment for serving underage, serving a drunk person, how a young girl makes herself look old, etc. It was kind of like sitting through defensive driving.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,812,463 times
Quote:
This is incorrect.

But you will need to get experience. Your best bet is to get a job as a server and gain experience in a restaurant. You can also try to get a job as a barback but it's hard work with less money.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
It looks like a ton of places give you TABC certification online for under $20.

Here is an example of one:

Texas Approved TABC Certification Online | Certified2Serve

Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When did Texas start requiring a license? I tended bar a few times, back in the day, and we just had to take that TBAC (or whatever those letters are, lol) "server" course (can't think of the name) which wait staff also took. It's the one that tells you the punishment for serving underage, serving a drunk person, how a young girl makes herself look old, etc. It was kind of like sitting through defensive driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
This is incorrect.

But you will need to get experience. Your best bet is to get a job as a server and gain experience in a restaurant. You can also try to get a job as a barback but it's hard work with less money.
License, certificate whatever the hell you want to call it, you need one to work in Texas. In Texas, it is required that you have a TABC card, which is a Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission certification card. This means that you need to pass an approved responsible serving training course. It's not a law per say, but most employers will not hire you with out one.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:54 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,812,463 times
Quote:
License, certificate whatever the hell you want to call it, you need one to work in Texas. In Texas, it is required that you have a TABC card, which is a Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission certification card. This means that you need to pass an approved responsible serving training course. It's not a law per say, but most employers will not hire you with out one.
This is incorrect. See question #5. TABC Seller Training FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: