Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:14 PM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
And yet the lack of local media attention and being the butt of jokes made by local media proves UH is not relevant. You're kidding yourself if you think the new conference that UH jumped to is anything to write home about. Houston is an SEC town with all the LSU and A&M alumni. Then a distant third would be Big XII/Longhorns/red Raiders/Baylor. UH is going to be playing fourth fiddle at best for the foreseeable future. Anyone that thinks otherwise is wearing cougar-red tinted glasses.
Funny...I remember a ton of calls, this season, from UH supporters who were pulling for Case Keenum. They called so much the hosts made multiple comments about the overwhelming UH support for one of their own guys....but I guess these people don't count in your mind...lol

Also, UH's current qb led ALL freshman qb's, in the nation, in touchdowns so I really don't care what you say...there is ton of potential for UH's program. They really do have a bright future...both academically and on the football field. Some perceive this as a real threat and cling to their old worn stereotypes....from the tone of your posts...I think we all know that is the side you are on.

Last edited by H'ton; 12-22-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 03:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
there are 4 sports stations so that means only 1 can be on the top, one that will fight for the top and 2 that will struggle...

it sure seems the bottom 2 that are struggling are copying a plan #1 and #2 is doing and not going anywhere...Houston is vanilla radio (literally and figuratively)

Just by being in drive time attracts listeners foe some slots as the hosts don't contribute much...if I have a show from 2 to 6 I can throw tons of topics out there and someone will bite...

The Dallas media market is so far ahead of Houston its a shame...
No doubt about that. Dallas media, tv and radio, kicks Houston's butt. On the other hand, I don't think there is a station in Texas that has the strong lineup of vagina that KHOU has.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:37 AM

43 posts, read 63,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Josh Innes... love him, or hate him, he's now leaving. I can only hope the show improves! It got to the point where I would just turn off the radio when I heard his voice.

Josh Innes leaving KILT for job in Philadelphia - Sports Update
Any talk about them bringing back my man crush Barry Warner?

Old 12-23-2013, 11:30 AM

221 posts, read 336,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
This right here. I don't want to hear 10 minutes of trivia BS, five minutes of sports talk, commercial...repeat

Charlie Pallilo is the only person I will listen to. He is probably the most knowledgeable guy in Houston regarding all sports.
Same here. Charlie's the only guy worth listening to. A very sharp, knowledgeable guy who doesn't do sophomoric nonsense. Sure he's not a homer and he has an ego but nobody else in Houston comes close to his skill on the radio. Houston is lucky to have him for sports talk.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times
979Texan, pretty ironic since we started having this very conversation, but a Philadelphia newspaper just ran an article praising the athletic department of the University of Houston. Here it is:

Like Temple, Houston strives for athletic relevance - Philly.com

They are "hoping" that Temple can follow in the footsteps of the University of Houston because they feel the program is about to reach another level...if it hasn't already started.

You started your argument by saying that Rice and UH are on the same footing. My point is that they are NOT anywhere close to the same level! True, the American Athletic Conference isn't the SEC but it is a apreciated step up for UH and WAY BETTER than the teams in CUSA that Rice battles....FIU, Marshall, Middle Tenn. State...no thanks!

Outside of Texas, the third most prolific athletic program in the state of Texas is often thought of as the University of Houston...and they have the SWC Championships, NCAA Final Four Appearances, past Heisman and Lombardi winners, and some of the best pro-athletes ever to play their respected sports to back up that claim.

Those that actually follow UH football just witnessed a very exciting season by a very young team. A team that featured a very young, but talented offensive nucleus, and a very surprisngly good defense. One that led the nation in turnover margin. Good Times!

Last edited by H'ton; 12-23-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 12:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
Barry said that's why he left 610 was because of the format but he at times didn't help due to his constant age jabs at himself or his 10-minute monologues

Old 12-23-2013, 01:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Barry said that's why he left 610 was because of the format but he at times didn't help due to his constant age jabs at himself or his 10-minute monologues
Unfortunately we all have to adapt with the times, if not you may find yourself obsolete. Barry's style got him moved to the midnight shift. The format changed, he didn't.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 PM

he had a bad co-host also...that Fred whatever guy sucks

Old 12-24-2013, 02:01 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Josh Innes... love him, or hate him, he's now leaving. I can only hope the show improves! It got to the point where I would just turn off the radio when I heard his voice.

Josh Innes leaving KILT for job in Philadelphia - Sports Update

Or indifferent?

I think there is a Clutchfans shrine to him, though.

Charlie is about all that is worth listening to, btw. Glad he doesn't take stupid callers with stupid nicknames. That's where Matt Thomas went wrong, but someone has to do "stupid radio".

Old 12-24-2013, 02:13 AM

lol on matt Thomas....what's the criteria to host a show in Houston? Go back-and-forth with the producer all day? yawn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston