Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,966,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
How long would it take to get to downtown Houston, for say an Astros game? Assume a Saturday night game for instance.
From the Conroe area (let's say 336 North and I-45N) you can get to downtown in an hour easy in non-traffic times like a Saturday night, if you time it right during the week and jump in the hot lanes you can get downtown in 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:32 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
From the Conroe area (let's say 336 North and I-45N) you can get to downtown in an hour easy in non-traffic times like a Saturday night, if you time it right during the week and jump in the hot lanes you can get downtown in 45 minutes.
What about from Kingwood? It looks like that's where everyone says it's at... How far from Kingwood to downtown on 59?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What about from Kingwood? It looks like that's where everyone says it's at... How far from Kingwood to downtown on 59?
I'm not 100% sure but I would think the drive to downtown from Kingwood would be at least slightly better than from Conroe. Traffic wise I believe 59N isn't as congested as 45N on normal days.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:45 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
The ride to downtown from Kingwood is MUCH better than the ride from Conroe. The freeway is nicely widened and traffic flows much more smoothly than on 45.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:57 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
From highway entrance of Kingwood to downtown is 25 minutes with no traffic then add drive from house to front. Rush hour traffic can add 10-20 minutes but can be avoided by paying for the HOT lane.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
From highway entrance of Kingwood to downtown is 25 minutes with no traffic then add drive from house to front. Rush hour traffic can add 10-20 minutes but can be avoided by paying for the HOT lane.
Yeah, that's a good bit better than the Conroe area. If you're on the West side of 45 towards the lake or on the East side where a lot of rural larger estates are found you're talking about 15 to 20 minutes just to get on I45 before you start heading South. You're also just that much further from Beaumont and LA than if you were in Kingwood, Porter or places like that.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,995 times
I can't believe no one has suggested the Woodlands based on his wants.

If getting to downtown Houston frequently is a must, I agree Kingwood is better. But the Woodlands is nicer with much better amenities than Kingwood.

The other places mentioned, OP won't like; one is a neighborhood surrounded by less developed areas that may or may not go good or bad. This is because it's the western (not eastern) areas of Houston that are more populated and preferred for nice developments.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

If getting to downtown Houston frequently is a must, I agree Kingwood is better. But the Woodlands is nicer with much better amenities than Kingwood.

The other places mentioned, OP won't like; one is a neighborhood surrounded by less developed areas that may or may not go good or bad. This is because it's the western (not eastern) areas of Houston that are more populated and preferred for nice developments.
I want a place east of I-45, preferably east of 59. There is no advantage to living on the west/northwest side of Houston to me, I would prefer to stay in Austin if that's the case. I need to be within 2 hours of Lake Charles.

Example:
Conroe->LC 2:39:00
Atascacito->LC 2:05:00

I don't care if the areas aren't as developed.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:32 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,097,952 times
Quote:

I think because the SW areas (Sugar Land), Katy, and The Woodlands are becoming overdeveloped - building is definitely moving in the Kingwood direction.

Kingwood is in the beginning process of building a big Kingwood Parc City Center - like the one The Woodlands has. It's being built by the same developer. A town center is coming to Kingwood's entrance - Houston Chronicle

Along West Lake Houston Parkway, there are at least 4 new large master planned communities that have already started breaking ground, or are coming in the early part of next year. Plus another new one that will be going in towards the back of Kingwood.

Add the Generation Park development that will be built in the near future, and the Grand Texas theme park that supposed to come to the New Caney area - the Kingwood/Humble/Atascocita area will definitely be back on the map.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:07 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
Quote:

Well OP also needs easy and quick access to get to Beaumont area - Kingwood better than Woodlands
for that too plus with everything OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston