Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:53 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTimeAround View Post
So we're a family of five (three young kids ages 9, 4, and 4) and both work. We currently live about 30 minutes outside of D.C. in Maryland and our boys attend a smaller private school. My wife and I have continually kicked around the idea of moving in the next year or so but neither of us have a "go to" place. She has family in San Antonio and spent summers there as a kid. I'm from FL and both of us are used to heat and all of that. We're looking for a family friendly area that isn't so interested in "keeping up with the Jones'". Someone suggested Houston to us and I really know nothing about it. The times I've been to Texas, San Antonio mostly, everyone was friendly and the food was awesome!
But, San Antonio has a sort of runned down look about it (at least where we were) that wasn't overly appealing to me. I'd like my kid's to grow up in an area that's a bit slower than the east coast but not backwoods'ish. I'm a marine veteran so we've traveled a lot but have been in Maryland for the last 4 yrs. Has anyone else moved to the area from out of town and have some perspective to offer?
Our oldest plays sports and the younger two are about to start, so I suspect making friends would be fairly easy for them through that avenue. Where we live currently, most of the people grew up in the area and are a little "you're not from here" mentality. While they're nice and we all waive hello, you can tell we're not "one of them." I'm hoping to move away from that? Preferrably a nice patch of the world where my boys can play in the neighborhood and just "be boys"...My 9yr old doesn't have a cellphone, he rides his bike. He doesn't have a girlfriend, he'd rather play sports. And he eats peanut butter, nuts, and dairy and isn't going to die!!! Some of these parents kill me with raising kids.

Maybe I'm asking too much?
Sounds like you would fit right in in Houston. Nice families with normal attitudes about raising kids. Lots of transplants, so you don't get that "you're not from here" distancing. We moved here from the east coast 10+ years ago and will probably stay forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 04:11 PM

118 posts, read 340,248 times
Houston has some very nice areas, specially in the Suburbs, just have to look well where the good schools are.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:22 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTimeAround View Post
So right, being a marine does tend to make me have a more conservative view but at the same time, I and my wife are very "live and let live" type of folks. Where we are now, it's not a crisis to see a gay couple, an interracial couple, and no one is burning crosses in anyone's front yard. So, yeah I don't want to move my kid's to an area that promotes close-mindedness either. When I say "slower" I just mean, kid's can be their age a little longer. Here, it's so competitive with what kid's have/who they know/what their parents do...it's pretty ridiculous. We're an "upper middle class" family but my oldest doesn't feel the need to compare his things or whatever to anyone else's. Can I just get a state where the government isn't encouraging MORE "entitlements" to those who don't contribute?! Maryland is taxing the hell out of me and then giving my money to anyone who cries poor...different subject, let me move on. Ha!

swopoe- thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you all moved out of Baltimore County! How do you all like the weather in Houston? One thing I do like about the east coast are the seasons. It's nice to see leaves change, the occasional snow (although never much, mostly just a gray few months out of the year), and even summer can be nice! I'm just curious what the weather is like in Houston? My experience in San Antonio at different times of the year are hot, really hot, and really, really hot...

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate the input.
I hear you on the Maryland taxing! My family that is still there complains about that all the time. Our summers are hotter here for sure, but as you know, Maryland summers can be hot and humid too. The thing is that our summers are long, really long. It can be hot here from April until the end of October. And that is the worst part. When you are ready for summer to end when the kids go back to school, summer still goes on for two more months. As for fall, we get fall like weather in December (leaves are falling now). I prefer the weather in Houston though. When I go back to MD, I can't take the really cold winter weather.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 PM

270 posts, read 405,951 times
For the OP - you mentioned you were a federal employee. If you plan to continue doing that when you move to Texas, the locality pay in Houston for the same grade and step is quite a bit higher than San Antonio or Austin if you are on the GS scale. In fact its the highest rate in the country except for San Francisco (and it's close to that one).

Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 AM

33 posts, read 51,548 times
aero- Thanks for that tid bit. I did not know that and am happy to hear it. Yes, both my wife and I are on the GS scale so that's good info to know!

Maryland summers are pretty unpredictable. Sometimes we can get unseasonably cool weather for quite some time and then BAM! Out rolls the humidity. Nothing like walking out to your car at 6a.m. and having your shirt stick to your back. The long summers in TX is one thing my wife's family complains about. Just the fact that the heat seems never ending. But, can't have it all!
The winter's here aren't appealing. We don't often see snow but instead of several months of just gray, dismal, bone-chilling cold days. I'd prefer a few good snows instead of long weeks of chilling cold and my doors freezing shut!

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 AM

And about Maryland's taxes...it's insane! They call them "user fees". The bridge tolls went from $4 to $6 and are going to $9 this summer. It's a bit ridiculous!!! You'd think for all of the taxes we pay we'd have something AMAZING to show for it.

One thing that's appealing to me about Texas is the patriotism. I don't particularly care about party affiliation, but I do care about pride in our country. This area as a whole seems to lack that and that's disheartening.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Flake View Post
Based on what you're describing - Houston, Austin or San Antonio would be a great fit for your lifestyle. Austin has beautiful rolling hills, lakes, and overall a very outdoorsy lifestyle. People are friendly, down to earth, and very much "come as you are" mentality. Austin is also much more liberal than other cities in the state and may be worth considering. Houston is a typical big city - something for everyone, lower cost of living, lots of areas to choose, from, friendly people, higher crime rate, more congestion, smog, traffic, and other things associated with life in the largest city in Texas. San Antonio has some really nice, affluent, and beautiful areas. The people are incredibly friendly, welcoming, and warm. Check our Alamo Heights, Boerne, Stone Oak, Shavano Park (local HS has excellent athletics dept).
All of the big cities in Texas are liberal in the city proper, Houston and Austin especially. The suburbs are a mix, tending toward conservative. The rural areas are conservative. Demographically, Texas overall is headed for blue status sometime in the next 10 years. I'm not making any kind of judgment. Just stating the facts. Glad to hear that you're not that focused on party affiliation. I always appreciate knowing and hearing of people that can sort out individual issues for themselves. And like most of us, I think veterans are top notch citizens.

Houston is now officially the most diverse city in the country. It is awesome if you like diversity. Everywhere you go, even in the suburbs, you meet people from all over the world. It's one type of education kids in Houston get that they don't get in a lot of cities.

I think you may want to research the weather down here. It's hot from May through about early to mid October. Then it's usually mild to cool from then through much of April. Winter tends to have some cold waves (we've had several bad ones this fall and winter already), but they almost always don't last long. You may have a string of days with highs in the 30s or 40s, and the next thing you know the highs are in the 70s. So except for the hot from May through early to mid October, the weather is overall quite pleasant for the most part. It does rain a lot. Houston is the one of the wettest cities in the nation (excepting what happened in 2011...the epic drought). The wet climate means a lot of greenery most of the year, and parts of the metro are pine forest.

You commented on San Antonio having a run down look. All cities in the country, including Texas, have lots of run down areas. As good a reputation as Austin has, it has many, many bad areas. So does Houston. Houston also has many incredibly beautiful areas right in the city proper, as well as the suburbs. It's such a large area that you just have to seek out the good areas. And there are many.

Houston is the friendliest and kindest place you'll ever find, and I hope this works out for you. I'm awaiting a move there myself. Can't wait to make that move.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 12-26-2013 at 12:15 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
For the OP, I found a great aerial video of the city that shows the highrises (including downtown, med center, and Uptown) and the port with all the industry along the ship channel. Also shows some woodsy residential areas.

Aerial Houston - YouTube

Click through to YouTube to do full screen.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 PM

116 posts, read 196,300 times
To ThisTimeAround:

Google "The Woodlands, TX". It might be just what you're looking for.

Last edited by sketteroo; 12-26-2013 at 10:50 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 04:30 AM

Thanks again, everyone! I really appreciate the input and comments. I've heard of the Woodlands and will certainly look into it. My wife's family was just up for the holiday from San Antonio and now she's ready to pack up and move! Ha, women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston