Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 01:53 PM

74 posts, read 121,631 times

Advertisements

I heard Houston area is great relocating spot for veterans, I'm only 22 years old so I'm looking to start a new career, cant do a whole lot of heavy lifting or anything because my back is all screwed up and I'm to young for back surgery. I have already started looking in houses down there and wow they are really cheap and the houses are nice. I'm not big into living in big city, I have always lived in small towns or small cities.

Are there great towns around Houston? Is the Traffic bad to get into the city? are there many community colleges around the area? I been looking at jobs down there and they blooming pretty well it looks like, I check every day on Indeed.com and monster.com. I'm not a fan of the heat in the summer and I know it gets pretty bad down there. How much do ultilites run during the summer months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM

702 posts, read 1,237,288 times
If you're a Veteran, I guess you plan on using the G.I. Bill? Did you get MEB? If you did, you should get a rating from the VA. With Texas, you're exempt a certain amount of property taxes (property taxes are outrageous here) for one property depending on your ratings. If you're 100% disabled, all your properties are exempt.

Did you enlist in the military from Texas or NY? There is an additional program for people who enlisted from those states for education called the Hazelwood Act. There are other programs available for disabled Vets, just Google the states website for whatever state you're living in.

If you did not get MEB, I strongly suggest going through the VA and get a rating. The process will take two to three years before you will start getting some compensation. I hope you documented every injury (went to sick call) you incurred in the military and went to the hospital to get a copy of all your medical records before you left.

Btw, do you have the G.I. Bill or Post 911? I think the G.I. Bill is the one where you paid $100 per month for a year into it. This will give you roughly $1,600 per month when you go to school full time. The Post 911 on the other hand, pays for your tuition, $1k a year for books and gives you BAH (Houston is roughly $1,650 per month).

Old 12-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
If you're a Veteran, I guess you plan on using the G.I. Bill? Did you get MEB? If you did, you should get a rating from the VA. With Texas, you're exempt a certain amount of property taxes (property taxes are outrageous here) for one property depending on your ratings. If you're 100% disabled, all your properties are exempt.

Did you enlist in the military from Texas or NY? There is an additional program for people who enlisted from those states for education called the Hazelwood Act. There are other programs available for disabled Vets, just Google the states website for whatever state you're living in.

If you did not get MEB, I strongly suggest going through the VA and get a rating. The process will take two to three years before you will start getting some compensation. I hope you documented every injury (went to sick call) you incurred in the military and went to the hospital to get a copy of all your medical records before you left.

Btw, do you have the G.I. Bill or Post 911? I think the G.I. Bill is the one where you paid $100 per month for a year into it. This will give you roughly $1,600 per month when you go to school full time. The Post 911 on the other hand, pays for your tuition, $1k a year for books and gives you BAH (Houston is roughly $1,650 per month).
I'm going through the MEB process right now, I'm almost done with it. I already got my VA rating which is 60% so I will be getting a disability check for around $1,050 every month and I have 3 more things to add on to it when I get out.

I didn't enlist in Texas, I enlisted from Iowa that's where I'm from. But I really don't want to move back there because theres not much there for jobs or anything. I know Houston has been blooming for jobs lately, I check jobs every day in Iowa and Houston and in Colorado and Houston wins in a long shot.

I just don't know if I will like the city life, I lived in a small town all my life and I love it. I think if I can find a small town or a suburban part then that would be great for me. I been looking at houses down there as well and the house are nice and cheap.

I'm not using the GI Bill, I'm in the Vocational Rehab program with the VA and I get 4 years of school with them and they help me find jobs as well.

Houston is going to be a huge change for me but I think it wont be that bad after I get used to the area. I know cost of living isen't to bad down there. How much do the utilities run during the summer?

Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor91 View Post
I'm going through the MEB process right now, I'm almost done with it. I already got my VA rating which is 60% so I will be getting a disability check for around $1,050 every month and I have 3 more things to add on to it when I get out.

I didn't enlist in Texas, I enlisted from Iowa that's where I'm from. But I really don't want to move back there because theres not much there for jobs or anything. I know Houston has been blooming for jobs lately, I check jobs every day in Iowa and Houston and in Colorado and Houston wins in a long shot.

I just don't know if I will like the city life, I lived in a small town all my life and I love it. I think if I can find a small town or a suburban part then that would be great for me. I been looking at houses down there as well and the house are nice and cheap.

I'm not using the GI Bill, I'm in the Vocational Rehab program with the VA and I get 4 years of school with them and they help me find jobs as well.

Houston is going to be a huge change for me but I think it wont be that bad after I get used to the area. I know cost of living isen't to bad down there. How much do the utilities run during the summer?
I'm jelly....been waiting on my ratings since July. You should do an appeal now if it's not too late. I've heard from a lot of people it takes a long time for them to appeal after you get out, but if it's successful they will back pay you the difference in rating. I agree that Houston is a much more desirable area job wise over Colorado/Iowa.

The place where I purchased my home is in a very small city right outside of Houston. It's right next to the freeway so it's convenient for me to go where I need to go. I suggest visiting Houston for a week first and get a feel for it. If you like it, live in an apartment for half a year to a year to see how things go. If you like it here after a year, look for a home. This way you'll get a taste of the city life and you'll be more familiar with the different areas in Houston and make a better home purchasing decision.

Voc Rehab is actually a three year program. The way they make it a four year program is by switching the G.I. Bill on the 35/36th month to the post 911 giving you an additional year of education benefits. Voc Rehab is a great program and I fully recommend going that route. My only advice is to select a good field that will be able to find you a job with decent money. Anything medical is usually good and accounting isn't bad.

I currently live in a small city not in Texas...and to be honest, I can't really tell a difference. Other than the two malls here being significantly smaller and having less desirable stores to shop in, mediocre food (Houston has much better diverse food all around), and no real city life. I definitely prefer having the option to have a city life and being able to go when I want to vs not having it at all.

I think the utilities are cheaper than the state I'm living in now. I live in a tiny 500 sq ft apartment and I feel like I'm paying too much. I think my electricity/gas bill is on average $80/month and water is $35/month. I know in Houston my parents were paying about $200 on electricity, gas is like $20 and $30 for water on a 2,100 sq ft home built roughly 20 years ago.

Last edited by huma281; 12-24-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 05:43 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,279 times
I think and I hope that veterans will be welcome everywhere and thanks for your service. Houston cost of leaving is better than other places. Job options and diversity is a plus. So I think you will be in a good place to start your life.
If you thinking school get into O&G. Houston is the capital of that and we have many years left to drill.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
I'm jelly....been waiting on my ratings since July. You should do an appeal now if it's not too late. I've heard from a lot of people it takes a long time for them to appeal after you get out, but if it's successful they will back pay you the difference in rating. I agree that Houston is a much more desirable area job wise over Colorado/Iowa.

The place where I purchased my home is in a very small city right outside of Houston. It's right next to the freeway so it's convenient for me to go where I need to go. I suggest visiting Houston for a week first and get a feel for it. If you like it, live in an apartment for half a year to a year to see how things go. If you like it here after a year, look for a home. This way you'll get a taste of the city life and you'll be more familiar with the different areas in Houston and make a better home purchasing decision.

Voc Rehab is actually a three year program. The way they make it a four year program is by switching the G.I. Bill on the 35/36th month to the post 911 giving you an additional year of education benefits. Voc Rehab is a great program and I fully recommend going that route. My only advice is to select a good field that will be able to find you a job with decent money. Anything medical is usually good and accounting isn't bad.

I currently live in a small city not in Texas...and to be honest, I can't really tell a difference. Other than the two malls here being significantly smaller and having less desirable stores to shop in, mediocre food (Houston has much better diverse food all around), and no real city life. I definitely prefer having the option to have a city life and being able to go when I want to vs not having it at all.

I think the utilities are cheaper than the state I'm living in now. I live in a tiny 500 sq ft apartment and I feel like I'm paying too much. I think my electricity/gas bill is on average $80/month and water is $35/month. I know in Houston my parents were paying about $200 on electricity, gas is like $20 and $30 for water on a 2,100 sq ft home built roughly 20 years ago.
Ok I'm confused lol, you said you bought a house in a small city outside of Houston, but than said you live in a tiny apartment in a different state? Lol so do you live in Houston or not haha?

Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 AM

392 posts, read 999,061 times
Quote:
Ok I'm confused lol, you said you bought a house in a small city outside of Houston, but than said you live in a tiny apartment in a different state? Lol so do you live in Houston or not haha?
'I currently live in a small city not in Texas..."

Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 AM

Oh alright lol, what kind of small cities are near Houston? Because I don't know if I could live in Houston but if I could find a small city close by then that would be much better for me I think.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Oh alright lol, what kind of small cities are near Houston? Because I don't know if I could live in Houston but if I could find a small city close by then that would be much better for me I think.
Woodlands, Spring, Humble, Tomball, Pearland, Webster, Pasadena, Deer Park, Clear Lake, Friendswood, Sugarland, Fort Bend, Kingwood, Baytown, La Porte, Channelview, Rosenburg, Katy, Jersey Village, Cypress. That's just a few...

Old 12-26-2013, 11:46 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
May want to check out Cleveland, Dayton, Mount Belvieu, Lake Jackson, Tomball...something further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston