Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,709 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right place to post, however I'm sure I will be informed if it is not.

Here's a little background information..I'm 25 years old, born and raised in Fort lauderdale, Florida. I have lived in the same house my whole life. I recently graduated college with a degree in Elementary Education. I'm looking to make a major change. I'm living at home to save some money before I take the plunge.

I really have no idea about the job market (for teachers) or the cost of living or which neighborhoods to look into. I want to live in a bigger city with other young professionals, in a fun area ANYWHERE in Texas. I would prefer somewhere close to Dallas or Houston because I love sports and was spoiled living in south Florida with hockey, baseball, football and basketball. I would like to have a job lined up but I am not familiar with the counties or areas to look in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:56 AM

116 posts, read 196,300 times
The Houston area school districts I would want MY 25 yo to apply to. Go to their websites for further info:
- Spring Branch ISD (crème de la crème in Houston proper)
- Clear Creek ISD (has all the NASA kids)
- Friendswood ISD (smaller ISD, very family oriented)
- Katy ISD
- Klein ISD
- anywhere in The Woodlands, but probably too far from Houston for a young single.

DO NOT apply to Houston ISD. Leave that to the hardcore and seasoned professionals.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,709 times
It's so hard to do research about a city when I've never been! What is the rent like in the city?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:48 PM

116 posts, read 196,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl88 View Post
It's so hard to do research about a city when I've never been! What is the rent like in the city?
I haven't rented in decades, but it varies greatly with location, 'burbs vs urban. I would allow at least $900 for rent alone, plus extra for utilities. More upscale urban areas would be closer to $1200. And depends on what amenities you want.

A long road trip thru Texas might be in order so you can see which city speaks to you.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:36 PM

226 posts, read 310,704 times
As a former elementary teacher, I can tell you that, at least several years ago, the job market for elementary is tight. There is a certain amount of "it's who you know" at play. The school districts usually have job fairs in the spring. I would recommend you check those out. Also, check out greatschools.org for test scorse, school ratings, and parent comments. Also, if you can, try to get a feel for teacher turnover. It speaks volumes to the leadership of the school.

The districts already listed are good, although, I would say Spring Branch is only creme de la creme south of I-10. I taught in a private school in the heart of Spring Branch, and I can tell you that our neighboring public schools did not have good greatschools ratings. In addition I would recommend considering the following districts:

Fort Bend ISD - though, I would avoid the northern and eastern part of the district, as well as Fresno
Lamar CISD - I did my student teaching here. The district on a whole is a mixed bag, with the eastern part being more affluent. My mentor there had also taught in FBISD, and the feeling I got from here was that there was less pressure in LCISD, though, again, that was several years ago. The district is expanding rapidly.

As far as rent, you should be able to get a decent one bedroom outside the loop (which is also where you'll want to teach) for 800-10000 a month.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:43 PM

118 posts, read 340,248 times
Check KatyIsd.org and get the Human resources department, Katy ISD is a good school district and is just west of Houston.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:25 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Something that just occurred to me to mention is that kids in "not-so-good" school districts need great teachers, too. Some teachers seek out such school districts. Others are drawn to other kinds of districts. Nothing wrong with either; just thought I'd mention this.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM

226 posts, read 310,704 times
Weatherguy, you are right. I had a friend who did want to teach in a school that had a more challenging school. And, not famailiar with the districts on the east side, but there are certainly challenging schools within the districts listed above. However, I will say, especially at the elementary level, parent involvement can make a teacher's job easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston