Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 PM

28 posts, read 38,994 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Houston this summer, and we are looking for apartments now. He will be working in the Galleria and I will likely be working in the Woodlands (I know, long commute). We were initially looking in the Galleria, but I started reading a bit too many uneasy stories about even the most high end complexes there.

I stumbled upon River Oaks, and specifically the Park at River Oaks and I really like it. I am hearing it's an older area but it has the best reviews I've seen, and it seems to be a bit safer. Although we would like to be close to social areas, I don't know that I could deal with constant noise and such.

I'm very conflicted. All opinions are welcome and helpful. Thanks SO much in advance.

Last edited by mab463; 12-29-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times
I would go with park at river oaks. I just prefer that area in general.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Thanks Texas7! I forgot to mention, we are both 22 and fresh out of college. But we are not the biggest party people you've ever met.

Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:58 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times
I've got some friends who live in that area and love it. Great for all ages. Close to shopping, restaurants, etc. easy access to freeways for commuting plus a bit separated from the galleria traffic.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 44,282 times
River Oaks is one of the most affluent areas in Houston. You should be fine there. But, you're right. The commute to The Woodlands probably won't be that fun.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Thank you everyone! It looks like River Oaks really is a winner then for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel7 View Post
River Oaks is one of the most affluent areas in Houston. You should be fine there. But, you're right. The commute to The Woodlands probably won't be that fun.
Is it fair to approximate around 45-60 minutes for a commute to the Woodlands from there? I can live with an hour commute, but any more than that may be exhausting. I also was planning to take the Hardy Toll Road to make it a bit easier.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,096,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab463 View Post
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Houston this summer, and we are looking for apartments now. He will be working in the Galleria and I will likely be working in the Woodlands (I know, long commute). We were initially looking in the Galleria, but I started reading a bit too many uneasy stories about even the most high end complexes there.

I stumbled upon River Oaks, and specifically the Park at River Oaks and I really like it. I am hearing it's an older area but it has the best reviews I've seen, and it seems to be a bit safer. Although we would like to be close to social areas, I don't know that I could deal with constant noise and such.

I'm very conflicted. All opinions are welcome and helpful. Thanks SO much in advance.
First of all, although crime can and will happen everywhere the Galleria area is safe. Your talking about neighborhoods like Tanglewood(where George Bush Sr. lives) Briarcroft. And the area's around sage and Post Oak are safe too. As far as the Park at River Oaks, that's not "River Oaks", that's more Upper Kirby. Unless you have two or three million to start with you won't be living in River Oaks regardless of what some of these apartments call themselves.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
First of all, although crime can and will happen everywhere the Galleria area is safe. Your talking about neighborhoods like Tanglewood(where George Bush Sr. lives) Briarcroft. And the area's around sage and Post Oak are safe too. As far as the Park at River Oaks, that's not "River Oaks", that's more Upper Kirby. Unless you have two or three million to start with you won't be living in River Oaks regardless of what some of these apartments call themselves.
Okay I appreciate the honesty. But would you be willing to then make a recommendation on which you'd prefer? We're open-minded, and I am just going off of any information I can find.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,667,242 times
The Galleria is very safe as far as Houston goes. The traffic is brutal. I would pick a place in Montrose. The Standard, 2121, or City Vista. It will be a quick commute for him down Memorial and a much easier commute for you to go to the Woodlands since you can take Allen Parkway to 45. This is a much more fun area for young people to live also. Don't be freaked out about a few crime stories about a nice complex. There is crime in every big city. Don't live in the first floor. They get robbed the most. It is pretty rare though.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:43 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
I would pick Upper Kirby any day over Uptown (Galleria). The traffic there is suffocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston